Watch Us Shoot at an SSD With a Shotgun & Rifle

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]CoryInJapan[/nom]Awesome way of helping put that money spent on the ammunition..and SSD's to good use...yea right...I like how this helps fight world hunger and disease...disaster relief....Funding schools...Helping the broken world wide economy...Great job...You make us proud to be americans.[/citation]
Yes. And you complaining on a hardware forum will surely help fight world hunger and fund schools. I hope you don't enjoy movies, because you'll be disapointed to learn that a lot of money are spent in those instead of helping your precious causes.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the amelioration of the quality of life of others, but I also like to enjoy my own life. Complaining and trying to make others feel bad about their interests is the worst form of help possible.

micr0be

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]Yes. And you complaining on a hardware forum will surely help fight world hunger and fund schools. I hope you don't enjoy movies, because you'll be disapointed to learn that a lot of money are spent in those instead of helping your precious causes.Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the amelioration of the quality of life of others, but I also like to enjoy my own life. Complaining and trying to make others feel bad about their interests is the worst form of help possible.[/citation]

i was about to tell him exactly what u said but i remembered never to feed the trolls, always and i mean always ignore them.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]micr0be[/nom]@jane actually if ur from the middle east its very normal to have experience with a weapon, for example i used to go pig hunting with my friends in a special area using ak47s and my bren mkII when i was 14.[/citation]

Oh, I know. We were talking about Ireland specifically. :)

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
I would feel the plexi-shielding like that range had would be a bit disconcerning, if not possibly slightly dangerous - especially for someone new to firing a semi or fully-automatic weapon... the casings deflecting off of the shielding might hit the shooter's arm and cause further distraction.

Having a nice sturdy bench or pylon to shoot off of is far more comfortable than shooting through a kind of "shooting loop" that the range had.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]micr0be[/nom]i was about to tell him exactly what u said but i remembered never to feed the trolls, always and i mean always ignore them.[/citation]
Yeah, I have a hard time with that rule. I guess I have some troll in me too!

cappster

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2007
You guys should have used buck shot while shooting the SSD. I shot an old WD 40 gig hard drive one time with bird shot and it barely dented it. Buckshot would have been much more formidable!

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]I WAS SO AFRAID!Really, notice how I handed it back after about two seconds and said, "Here, someone else have a turn." Guns are scary! Until I learn to overcome my fear, I will be but a dead weight during any and all zombie apocalypses.[/citation]

oh come on jane it wasn't that bad but i did chuckle on how fast you tried to get that thing out of your hands. the guy should have adjusted the stock for you tho. i hate firing with the gun pressed in tight like that. you did fine tho. my uncles sister from malayasia dislocated her shoulder and was knocked to the ground by the kick pretty hard the first time she fired a 12 gauge, she had a huge bruise on her shoulder and bum so you fared a lot better :)
[citation][nom]Soul_keeper[/nom]That guy was touching Jane a lot.[/citation]
considering that was her first time firing a gun and an automatic at that he should have been bracing her. last thing you want is a panic stricken shooter that froze up with the finger on the trigger loosing control of that weapon! IMO he didn't look nervous enough but he was totally professional considering how nervous jane acted.
[citation][nom]CoryInJapan[/nom]Awesome way of helping put that money spent on the ammunition..and SSD's to good use...yea right...I like how this helps fight world hunger and disease...disaster relief....Funding schools...Helping the broken world wide economy...Great job...You make us proud to be americans.[/citation]
i think the air you used for that thought was completely wasted as well as the electricity you used from a fossil fuel burning plant. i will ignore all that tho since you are slaving away at your job to give every penny to the sick, starving, homless and orphans of the world since your such an upstanding american. i guess all the rest of us can do after your generous contribution would be to protect the persecuted of the world volunteering for the U.N. security forces. remember "no shootie blue"

i think this was the perfect advertisement! its application for the military land warrior system and a good update to the flight recorders on aircraft. seeing is believing! i might even try and adapt this to record from a camera on the dash of my vehicle. something i think should be standard in every automobile by the D.O.T. since the FAA requires it in aircraft for crashes and mishaps.

cyprod

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2006
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Or my hand. I was really worried about my hand for some reason.[/citation]
This isn't an absurd fear oddly enough. Once shooting a 9mm I wasn't paying close enough attention to how I was holding the gun and the bolt came back and took off a bunch of skin from my thumb. Bled like hell but oddly enough didn't really hurt much.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]I WAS SO AFRAID!Really, notice how I handed it back after about two seconds and said, "Here, someone else have a turn." Guns are scary! Until I learn to overcome my fear, I will be but a dead weight during any and all zombie apocalypses.[/citation]

I completely agree!!! and i have lived around guns my entire life (i'm from louisianna and texas), My uncles and grandfather both have a lot of guns. and yes i have shot a gun msyelf before , doesn't mean i like it , or want to own one myself LOL.

[citation][nom]Parrdacc[/nom]Curious what scared you? Most non-gun types when they actually fire a weapon they can point to one specific thing that scared them initially. In my exp. they all say that it was the sound the gun made. Even with the ear protection, if your used to only hearing what a gun sounds like in movies or t.v. that can be a little bit unnerving.[/citation]

there are actually several things about guns that scare the piss out of me ,
1. the way they look , maybe it's just me but they look scary even if they are just sitting there on a table or in a gun cabinet.
2. the kick back, seen more than a few poeple fall on thier a-- when shooting a gun not expecting the kick , to me the kick has always been scary,never got a serious injury form it myself , though one i did bruise my shoulder from a shot gun. a friend of mine once split the skin open around his eyebrow from a hand gun's kick back can't remember the calibur but i told him he shouldnt look through the scope that close.

3. lastly the sound is scary even a "pea" shooter of a gun sounds like a beast when fired.

P.S. Jane is so hot ,red hair, and pretty eyes always wins me over!!! :)

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
I would feel the plexi-shielding like that range had would be a bit disconcerning, if not possibly slightly dangerous - especially for someone new to firing a semi or fully-automatic weapon... the casings deflecting off of the shielding might hit the shooter's arm and cause further distraction.

Having a nice sturdy bench or pylon to shoot off of is far more comfortable than shooting through a kind of "shooting loop" that the range had.

While I agree that shooting through a plexi-shield would be a bit disconcerting, I think it was necessary for safety. First, casings typically eject to the right, so there shouldn't be many (if any) casings reflecting off the front shield. Second, they are shooting at a metal enclosure and they are shooting at an angle. There is a very real danger of the bullet ricocheting back at the shooter. A weakened ricocheted bullet could easily destroy the camera lenses or hurt someone.

scatrdfew

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
[citation][nom]Hupiscratch[/nom]No worries Jane. In a zoombie apocalypse, you just need to be proficient with a baseball bat.[/citation]
I agree - guns run out of ammo, a sturdy blunt instrument and a pedal bikes do not. That is where it's at - and stay away from the people with guns, they'll just get you killed. Guns aren't that cool anyway, more like hot lead death-machines. I think the world would be a better place if we took all the guns and replaced them with wiffel ball bats, ya know... the yellow plastic ones? Let everyone get their aggressions out with a good wiffel ball bat battle.

azconnie

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Along the topic, I have a habit of "invalidating" my old HDDs for security reasons, and after I destroying some with pliers and a hammer, I decided to use something... faster.

Since then I have discovered that basically any platter type HDD is capable of effectively stopping .45 ACP, .40 S&W, .44 MAG, 9x19 NATO, and most other pistol cartages. The only handgun round I have ever seen penetrate a platter HDD is the .357 MAG.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]azconnie[/nom]Along the topic, I have a habit of "invalidating" my old HDDs for security reasons, and after I destroying some with pliers and a hammer, I decided to use something... faster.Since then I have discovered that basically any platter type HDD is capable of effectively stopping .45 ACP, .40 S&W, .44 MAG, 9x19 NATO, and most other pistol cartages. The only handgun round I have ever seen penetrate a platter HDD is the .357 MAG.[/citation]

this seems suspect to me since the 44 has about twice the energy of the 357... but you go right on ahead with your story.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]scatrdfew[/nom]I agree - guns run out of ammo, a sturdy blunt instrument and a pedal bikes do not. That is where it's at - and stay away from the people with guns, they'll just get you killed. Guns aren't that cool anyway, more like hot lead death-machines. I think the world would be a better place if we took all the guns and replaced them with wiffel ball bats, ya know... the yellow plastic ones? Let everyone get their aggressions out with a good wiffel ball bat battle.[/citation]

wow are you really gonna sit there and say that? Go out side and grab a baseball bat and swing it about 50 times at something ... lets say a tree for S&G. How tired are you? Now go shoot that tree 50 times with a pistol... how tired are you now?

It could take several hits to kill someone with a baseball bat where as most guns only take one or two shots... thats why we dont hunt with baseball bats.

I seriously doubt youd wanna bike away from a zombie apocalypse with a baseball bat as your only defense... that's why youd be eaten pretty quickly.

azconnie

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]this seems suspect to me since the 44 has about twice the energy of the 357... but you go right on ahead with your story.[/citation]

Yeah, that seemed weird to me too. I think the issue may be that the .44 (and it was a .44 caliber revolver, so I assume it was magnum. Wasn't my gun) but yeah, it stopped it. Destroyed the casing, but the platters deflected it. The .357 barely even left a dent, just bored a hole like a drill.

Anyway, I'm arguing on the internet, I don't have the one that took .40, and .44 anymore (and it looked more like a flower than a platter afterwards), but I have the .45, and .357 one. PM me and I'll send you a picture if you like.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007

You did really good for your first time Jane. Not as easy as it looks in the game is it? lol! The fear will go away with understanding more about the weapons and following the cardinal rules of gun handling.

1. always point it in a safe direction
2. know your target AND WHATS BEHIND IT
3. always treat it like its loaded (cause it very well could be)

follow those 3 rules and a gun is no more dangerous than a hammer or a kitchen knife.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]azconnie[/nom]Yeah, that seemed weird to me too. I think the issue may be that the .44 (and it was a .44 caliber revolver, so I assume it was magnum. Wasn't my gun) but yeah, it stopped it. Destroyed the casing, but the platters deflected it. The .357 barely even left a dent, just bored a hole like a drill.Anyway, I'm arguing on the internet, I don't have the one that took .40, and .44 anymore (and it looked more like a flower than a platter afterwards), but I have the .45, and .357 one. PM me and I'll send you a picture if you like.[/citation]

ahh it was probably just a normal 44 then. Ive had some rather cool experiences with bullets myself. my dad had some 1/4" steel plate set up as a target and we were shooting it with all manner of handgun and it didnt even scratch it but the 7.62mm round of my SKS went right through like there wasnt a plate there. Oh and last christmas I was back home and we were shooting at an old pan that he had hung on a metal rack with his s&w 44 revolver. we hit the thing a few times and the handle broke off and the pan fell to the ground leaving the 1" wide plastic handle hanging there. Took me 3 shots to hit it but when I did it exploded all over and my dad goes "well I'd rather shoot with you than against you" and we went inside cause it was getting dark.

azconnie

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]ahh it was probably just a normal 44 then. Ive had some rather cool experiences with bullets myself. my dad had some 1/4" steel plate set up as a target and we were shooting it with all manner of handgun and it didnt even scratch it but the 7.62mm round of my SKS went right through like there wasnt a plate there. Oh and last christmas I was back home and we were shooting at an old pan that he had hung on a metal rack with his s&w 44 revolver. we hit the thing a few times and the handle broke off and the pan fell to the ground leaving the 1" wide plastic handle hanging there. Took me 3 shots to hit it but when I did it exploded all over and my dad goes "well I'd rather shoot with you than against you" and we went inside cause it was getting dark.[/citation]

Good shot. Yeah, for the interest of the community, and you if you didn't know the HMMWV is armored with 1" of steel. The SKS fires the same round as the AK47 (7.62X39). This is why the HMMWV is NOT, and should not be an armored vehicle. 1" of steel just can't stop a 7.62 NATO.

And going back to accuracy, I hit a clay pigeon about 60 YDS out across the pond with a Springfield XD .45 in 3 rounds. According to the "experts" a .45 ceases to be effective @ 45yds.

Never tell a redneck "you can't."

Status
Not open for further replies.