Watch Us Shoot at an SSD With a Shotgun & Rifle

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scatrdfew

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]wow are you really gonna sit there and say that? Go out side and grab a baseball bat and swing it about 50 times at something ... lets say a tree for S&G. How tired are you? Now go shoot that tree 50 times with a pistol... how tired are you now? It could take several hits to kill someone with a baseball bat where as most guns only take one or two shots... thats why we dont hunt with baseball bats. I seriously doubt youd wanna bike away from a zombie apocalypse with a baseball bat as your only defense... that's why youd be eaten pretty quickly.[/citation]

Yes I say that - Zombies are rotting flesh and decaying bone, more the consistency of a firm melon, not a tree. Either way a hypothetical situation can't make anyone tired out... so I'll stick with the blunt instrument and the pedal bike, and laugh at you when your 4x4 is out of gas, and your fire arm is out of ammo, and when you turn zombie... well, you know what happens.

Batter up!

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
Didn't know who Jane was... In the first video, in which the CEO is flipping through some photos it was like "hey cute girl"... ;)

PS: Kudos to the CEO guy who actually knows how to work with his own product and use tools and not look like an idiot when there is a BSOD and wait for a tech to come running in... before being fired off stage later.

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]azconnie[/nom] if you didn't know the HMMWV is armored with 1" of steel. The SKS fires the same round as the AK47 (7.62X39). 1" of steel just can't stop a 7.62 NATO.And going back to accuracy, I hit a clay pigeon about 60 YDS out across the pond with a Springfield XD .45 in 3 rounds. According to the "experts" a .45 ceases to be effective @ 45yds.Never tell a redneck "you can't."[/citation]
and now you have learned the difference between a rifle and a handgun round.
rifles are for distance hand guns are for close quarters. that effective range is for killing/stopping power of things bigger then a medium sized dog.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]They're hard enough to get your hands on that the majority of people have probably never fired one. I only know one person who likes to hunt/has a licence for a gun. ONE. There were people at that demo who had fired 'modded' guns before. That blew my mind. That people would do anything with a gun other than hold it like a newborn baby wearing a vest made of explosives.
The noise! Definitely the noise. The feeling before the noise, knowing the noise was coming, the smell after the noise... I lay awake at night replaying the noise. Also, the fear that I would somehow screw up and shoot someone's face off. Or my hand. I was really worried about my hand for some reason.[/citation]

I occasionally go out shooting with my friends and the only time I was afraid of anything it was the kickback of the semi-automatic 30-30. That hurt like heck!

Later though I used the 30-06 and the .44 magnum he had and they weren't quite as bad.

Also shot a double barrel 16 gauge shotgun, both at the same time. That was fun.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
lets say there is a zombie apocalypse,

first thing that i want is a sword, nothing big, about 3/4 the size of my arm would suffice, mainly because i can take off limbs with a sword, makeing them less deadly.

second is a bat like instrument, but shaped more like a triangle. this would allow me to exert more of my force on a smaller area, makeing the skull that much easier to crush.

now. lets assume that its a movie zombie apocalypse, and not a real life, easily contained one.

i would want a foldable bike. that way, if i find a car with gass i can easily get everything i have in it.

and lastly, i would want pipe bombs, or a heavy spray shotgun. see, ammo will run out of these, but when you need them, they are there, personally i dont believe i would ever put myself in a situation where i would need either, but just in case a small horde came at me at once, i have a means of thinning the numbers.

misry

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2006
You guys are cute.
First rule is: All guns are loaded.
Hot, steel core, 7.62x25 will punch through pretty much anything you got at 20m. (Yes it is a sub-gun round but the CZ-52 handles it nicely.)
7.62x39(AK) and 7.62x51(NATO) are completely different critters. One is for assault rifles the other is for battle rifles.
You used rifles for the test but didn't pull out a .50 or even 8mm Turk, LAME.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]scatrdfew[/nom]Yes I say that - Zombies are rotting flesh and decaying bone, more the consistency of a firm melon, not a tree. Either way a hypothetical situation can't make anyone tired out... so I'll stick with the blunt instrument and the pedal bike, and laugh at you when your 4x4 is out of gas, and your fire arm is out of ammo, and when you turn zombie... well, you know what happens.Batter up![/citation]

I think you missed my point. Yes a pedal bike can be pedaled and not run out of gas for quite a ways but after swinging a bat at several flesh eating crazed maniac zombies you will be tired... Just swinging a bat a few dozen times will expend tons of energy then you have to get on a bike and ride away? you will not get very far before you have to stop and rest... zombies never rest. I can get a lot farther on a tank of gas with a crate of ammo than you can with a bike and a bat. It also depends on what kind of zombies we have too... are they slow zombies or fast zombies? the slow dead ones will overwhelm you with numbers eventually... the fast ones will just out run you even on a bike.

scrumworks

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
"Needless to say, this was the most fun we had at CES." This reminds me few lines that the French taxi driver said in Rush Hour 3 about...you know.

kenyee

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2006
Would have been more interesting to compare it w/ a hard drive to see how both did afterwards :)
SSDs are great...looks like too much fun :)

jazz84

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
This is entertaining and all, but does this REALLY still need to be front page news??? Come on, Tom's, let's get some new content already...

Status
Not open for further replies.