[SOLVED] Water cooling for this GPU?

ashdavid

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2014
Solution
You probably won't. Almost all wb's are built on reference design boards. Unless a custom pcb gpu is extremely popular, like many of the Evga, it's not profitable to make wb's that fit the different custom pcb's as the demand is too small and pcb's to varied. It sucks, but that's how it works out.

The one you tried from EK would have fit a standard, reference 5700xt. You happen to have a custom high end pcb gpu.

There's a possibility this 'might' fit, or it might be for a standard Strix, not the OC version. I'd suggest you call and ask them.
https://modmymods.com/alphacool-eis...-amd-radeon-5700-xt-asus-rog-strix-11750.html

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You probably won't. Almost all wb's are built on reference design boards. Unless a custom pcb gpu is extremely popular, like many of the Evga, it's not profitable to make wb's that fit the different custom pcb's as the demand is too small and pcb's to varied. It sucks, but that's how it works out.

The one you tried from EK would have fit a standard, reference 5700xt. You happen to have a custom high end pcb gpu.

There's a possibility this 'might' fit, or it might be for a standard Strix, not the OC version. I'd suggest you call and ask them.
https://modmymods.com/alphacool-eis...-amd-radeon-5700-xt-asus-rog-strix-11750.html

Last edited:
Reactions: ashdavid
Solution

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
Thanks for the answer. Is there a Radeon card that is PCIe 4.0 that has a water cooling block? I can spend anything up to $1,000.

Cheers.
Powercolour does manufacture the "Liquid Devil" as far as I recall.

The better option now would be to sell your used Strix and buy a cheap blower-style 5700xt probably also used off Ebay. The waterblock should fir those cards.

Reactions: ashdavid

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 5700/xt is the only pcie 4.0 card atm. But better performance is easy enough to attain and use a water block. PCIE 4.0 is unnecessary as even the most demanding games are barely scratching pcie 3.0 x8 on an RTX2080ti

Simply replace the Rog with a reference design like Evga black. Then that EK block, or a Corsair Hydro, or any other will fit, depending on the look you are after.

Last edited:

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
That video shows Linus Sebastian running 7 custom watercooled R9 Nanos on a Xeon Serverboard to create 7 gaming-VMs.

And I am asking again what you are planning to build with a 2080ti and a Radeon 5700xt. Considering you just tripped over the existence of custom pcbs at the beginning of your adventures.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Mixing a radeon and an nvidia card can be done, has been done, but isn't easy to do. Dx12 is an mgpu (multi-gpu) setup, so doesn't rely on sli or crossfire and technically can combine outputs of 2 different cards.

It just seems like you are trying to orchestrate a death-metal rock band and a Southern Baptist choir into a classical symphony, yet know nothing about music theory or composition.

Reactions: EndEffeKt_24

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
The 5700xt fits right between a 2080 and 2080 super, so it's a seriously decent card in its own right, only the 2080ti really beats it overall, so you shouldn't have any issues using either one in either your pc or the work pc. Much depends on what the actual usage is, if you are doing video editing, rendering etc the 2080ti can't be beat by anything, but if you do any 4k gaming, it's be better there too. So it's a choice as to which goes where, what has the greater need.

ashdavid

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2014
Thanks again for all the great info, very much appreciated. I don't game myself, but my son does and I wanted him to be able to use it. I am not really into specs etc (a bit obvious I know), but I love building PC's and building the hard tube water cooling.