[SOLVED] Water Temp Sensor here?

msesana

Commendable
Jun 20, 2018
Hello,

I finished my custom loop a couple of weeks ago and I forgot to install a Water temp sensor. I ordered one and I’m ready to install, but I don’t know if this would work.

View: https://imgur.com/a/5PVstXJ

Marked on the picture is a Drain Valve, followed by a fitting. My plan is to remove that fitting and install a T Block, put the sensor on one side, and a plug on the other side, and leave the drain valve open at all times.

Would this work? I don’t have any other places to put it on without draining the loop and modifying the hoses.

Thank you.

Solution
What kind of temp sensor are you talking about? Something with a display/screen? If it's just a standard temp sensor in a LC fitting then I would put it in that plug next to the pump outlet, I believe. It'll be closer to the flow and easier to route the cable. Hardly see it as a "look at me feature." I'd say it's practical.

I'd move your drain somewhere else as it's not at the lowest point in the system. It's not going to work very well where it is.

I think there is a good reason to have a liquid temp sensor in every loop and that's for controlling the fans. You want your fans to ramp with the temp of the fluid not the CPU temp. Unless you like hearing your fans ramp up for every little burst of effort. I prefer to have my fan...

EndEffeKt_24

Commendable
Mar 27, 2019
I would not recommend that placement because the tempsensor only benefits your system if you can read accurate changes of your fluid temperature in real time. That sensor sits in a kinda dead area regarding fluid flow. So it might be likely that water temps change is delayed significantly in contrast to the rest of the loop.
Drain the system and put the sensor on the leftover plug on your gpu block.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Shouldn't need a temp sensor as long as you know the core temps of CPU and GPU. Having a liquid sensor is just introducing another connection and really just giving you a 'LOOK AT ME!!' component.

Also will notice that your liquid temp is different than core temps, so as long as you understand that, I guess it's a pretty addition.

What kind of temp sensor are you talking about? Something with a display/screen? If it's just a standard temp sensor in a LC fitting then I would put it in that plug next to the pump outlet, I believe. It'll be closer to the flow and easier to route the cable. Hardly see it as a "look at me feature." I'd say it's practical.

I'd move your drain somewhere else as it's not at the lowest point in the system. It's not going to work very well where it is.

I think there is a good reason to have a liquid temp sensor in every loop and that's for controlling the fans. You want your fans to ramp with the temp of the fluid not the CPU temp. Unless you like hearing your fans ramp up for every little burst of effort. I prefer to have my fan gradually ramp up to accommodate the average load of the system rather than a single component.

Reactions: EndEffeKt_24
Solution

msesana

Commendable
Jun 20, 2018
Thanks for the replies, it’s an in-line sensor, I was planning on plugging it to the Corsair Commander Pro.

The reason I wanted to put it down there was so I didn’t have to drain the system. And also the reason I wanted to install it was to control my fan speed. I do monitor my temperatures on iCue, during Prime95 test I reached maximum of 72C with fans at 100%. It’s just during gaming that the CPU jumps up and down a lot so my fans kinda jump up and down.

That's basically my exact setup. I have a temp sensor plugged into one of the empty ports on my GPU (where a plug would be normally). Which is then wired to a commander pro. The pro is too expensive for what it is and I don't like the way it's been integrated into iCue, but it's just about the only thing out there that will do what it does.

You might be able to lay the system on it's back or front to get a bubble to form at the pump and swap the plug for the temp sensor, without losing any water. In theory it shouldn't matter that it's all the way at the bottom of your drain, but personally, I'd bite the bullet and drain they system to make it optimal. Custom loops are practically a hobby all to themselves.