cmmcnamara

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2007
Right now my rig has an E2180 in it overclocked to 1600 FSB and runs great but I built my rig intending for a 45nm quad core beast so I'll be finally buying a Q9650 here in the next two months or so and I do plan to OC it up to the 1600 for that 1:1 ratio. But lately I have been contemplating water cooling along with this CPU swap. My rig puts some noticeable heat which I hope to reduce and just keep my system at a generally cooler temperature. Right now I use a Zalman CNPS9700 cooler which rocks, but with respect to CPU cooling alone (water cooling has to implemented in the whole system right?) what kind of temperature changes can I expect?

helios2052

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2008
You can get some pretty drastic temp changes out of a "High End Custom Water Cooling Solution" but you need to be willing to spend some money and do a lot of research. The simple kits everyone sells that say they can cool your quad are not even as good as what you have now.

If you are looking for the absolute MAX overclock and have a few hundred dollars to burn then it might be worth it.

A properly set up watter loop can far outperform any air cooling setup.
If you are looking to cool just the CPU, take a look at This Swiftech kit.
Great starter kit with everything you will need to get started.
It can defiantly keep a quad cool, with this kit my Q6600 @ 3.6Ghz 1.55v never goes over 55c.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Conumdrum always posts the same links, but with a good reason; they are great places to learn from experts. I'll admit that there are fewer here on Tom's but most of us have read what he is posting and learned the hard way. Granted, watercooling is the same as everything else; anyone can do it once you understand what is needed, what to avoid and what to expect.

Cranky1970

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2008
I say go for it. Just take your time and do a good bit of research to see what would be best for you. I am going back to WC myself.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
I got my MCR320's yesterday and realized I needed some different fittings. I got online and ordered from Petra's and within 30 seconds (literally) a guy had called me and said he could get me cheaper shipping by sending them in an envelope. I was pretty impressed.