Watercooling res top inlet with no internal tube

Juicygg

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015
Hi guys

So I've just completed my first water cooling loop and am using the multi top from EK for my res and have the inlet from the top.

I don't have an inlet tube however and I've just started to bleed my loop and there are a heap of bubbles. I'll go ahead and buy an inlet tube but it will take around 10 days to get to where I live.

The coolant is clear but as you can see when I'm running the loop it's all white since there are bubbles everywhere.

Is this fine to run for now and connect up all my components?

I've included a picture and I hope this helps.

Thanks

20180810_004857_zpsz9gd1vao.jpg
[/URL][/img]

PilotPlangy

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
As long as there is flow you'll be fine. Always keep an eye on CPU/GPU temps on a new loop until you are confident its functioning correctly.

Its very unusual to have such fine bubbles not dissipate within your res though. Even the finest of bubbles should dissipate within a few minutes. I'm almost tempted to say there could be an air leak in the pump that is drawing in a tiny amount of air right at the impeller to cause this, Ive never seen this before but cant think of any other reason.

Does the coolant turn clear after turning the system off for a while?

Please update, very curious on this one.

Juicygg

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015

Thanks PilotPlangy.

The coolant does turn clear again after the system is turned off.

Is there any way I can check for an air leak in the pump?

It's secured tightly and there is no coolant leak thank god. I had to redo 2 of the bends just so that it wouldn't leak and obviously the stop bend is terrible but that's something else for another day.

PilotPlangy

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2011
Tough one. If the pump had a seal leak and pulling air in, the loop would become pressurised over time if there was no coolant leak.. you cant have air coming in without an equal amount of coolant leaking out.. Maybe theres an air leak both in and out? Sorry kinda spit balling at this point.

After its been off and the coolant has cleared, can you turn it back on a try locate where the first bubbles start forming? Immediately before this is where the bubbles are being introduced to the loop. This might be hard to find tho..

Just keep in mind that fine bubbles are caused by having an air source close to very high coolant flow (impellar in this case).

It will be extra work if you dont have flexi tubing but try run the pump and the res by itself. Pump to res back to pump. if the coolant still goes milky then RMA the pump! it cant be anything else!

Juicygg

Reputable
Sep 15, 2015
I think my pump is fine it was just on at 100% since it was only plugged directly into the power supply. Once I ran it with it plugged into the fan header then it slowed down and the liquid is clear but there are heaps of bubbles since it's splashing in from the top.

Now I have another problem since I didn't realise that the top ports on the multiport top needed a recessed extender in order to connect the fitting. It was leaking and I couldn't figure out the problem and cut the same tube 3 times since I thought maybe it wasn't stuck in properly.