[SOLVED] Wavlink AC750 troubles with setup

REALOldNick

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2013
I have been trying to set up and use an AC&%( Wavlink router.

• I followed the instructions as well as I could (they seem contradictory).
  • I set the device to what the picture said was repeater mode, but is actually router mode. Repeater mode does not allow any connection or setup.
  • It showed up on my networks as an unsecured "Wavlink-N" and I connected to it and entered the instructed "wifi.wavlink.com".
  • The setup page showed, but the password I was given was not "admin" (never had to use "admin").
  • I entered my own password "@Octopus2" (faked for post) and chose WPA Personal as security. Then it said "Wait a few seconds" and sat there for about 3 minutes.
  • I disconnected to look for help online via my main router. I could reconnect to the repeater, but not log in the to wifi.wavlink.com
-I pushed the reset button for 15 seconds, twice.
  • Now I can see it as a network router again, and cannot connect to it, but cannot log in via my browser.
  • if I try to set it as a repeater and try to connect via my browser, up pops a page instructing me that I can't log in because I have to be connected directly to the wavlink and not my router.
  • I have disabled my firewall, but the did not help.
Any help desperately appreciated.

Nick

Solution

• I set the device to what the picture said was repeater mode, but is actually router mode. Repeater mode does not allow any connection or setup.
  • It showed up on my networks as an unsecured "Wavlink-N" and I connected to it and entered the instructed "wifi.wavlink.com".
  • The setup page showed, but the password I was given was not "admin" (never had to use "admin").
  • I entered my own password "@Octopus2" (faked for post) and chose WPA Personal as security. Then it said "Wait a few seconds" and sat there for about 3 minutes.
  • I disconnected to look for help online via my main router...

kanewolf

Titan

• I disconnected to look for help online via my main router. I could reconnect to the repeater, but not log in the to wifi.wavlink.com
-I pushed the reset button for 15 seconds, twice.
  • Now I can see it as a network router again, and cannot connect to it, but cannot log in via my browser.
  • if I try to set it as a repeater and try to connect via my browser, up pops a page instructing me that I can't log in because I have to be connected directly to the wavlink and not my router.
  • I have disabled my firewall, but the did not help.
Any help desperately appreciated.

Nick
First, always do router setup via an ethernet cable.

Solution
It gets very tricky to configure via wifi. If you change the ssid and password then as soon as you do it your PC is on the wrong network and needs to reconnect to the new one you just set. It gets stuck sometimes. At least the routers are smart enough to do all the changes at the same time what a nightmare it would be if it immediately changed and things were partially one way and some the other. Still if you are not very careful you can still cause that issue yourself.

Ethernet is a little easier because the only thing that can kick you off is if you change the lan ip and/or subnet mask.