[SOLVED] Way to change factory settings on mouse?

amaloy10

Prominent
Jul 28, 2018
I recently bought a cheap gaming mouse off of amazon. it works great and is very comfortable, but there is one thing that they didn't really say about it. Holding down the middle mouse button changes to the other "mode" (office mode / gaming mode). This is a cool concept, but I play Rainbow Six Siege, which requires me to hold down the middle mouse button a lot. Every time I do this, it tabs me out of the game. I tried using a different keybind, but after playing R6 for 230+ hours I can't stop pressing the middle mouse button even though I know I changed the keybind, and it ends with my dying a lot. There are no settings for this in the mouse software that was on the CD. Are there any programs or anything for me to get rid of this feature?

Ratel Gaming Mouse GM100

Last edited:
Solution
Is it possible to change the office mode keybinds to be CoD as well?

Honestly not sure how that might work if the mouse drivers are hard-coded to close/shutdown gaming mode and go to office mode no matter what. Even if the office mode is set for CoD.

Actually a bit surprised that there is not a "disable" option of some sort within the mouse configuration settings.

But then again it is a "low end" mouse and the drivers were just copied or modified from some other mouse.

Bears some resemblance to the Logictech G502.

Maybe the Ratel is "at heart" identical to the G502 - just cosmetically different and using Ratel branding.

Found this via Amazon link to the Ratel Mouse:

"This gaming mouse is equipped with the latest version of...

Ralston18

Titan
You basically want the middle button keypress to "do nothing". I.e., no mode change either way - correct?

What does the middle mouse button currently do for you in Rainbow 6 - either by default or configuration?

Generically you are looking for software that will remap the press of a mouse button(s).

E.g.:

https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/remap-mouse-buttons-on-windows-10/

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/changing-and-customizing-your-mouse-buttons-actions/

Not able to recommend any given application/product per se.

And it is very likely that you will need to test each one (or others) to first determine if you can indeed truly rebind the middle mouse button as desired and secondly to ensure that there are no "cons" to the "pros" with respect to the remapping software.

amaloy10

Prominent
Jul 28, 2018
You basically want the middle button keypress to "do nothing". I.e., no mode change either way - correct?

What does the middle mouse button currently do for you in Rainbow 6 - either by default or configuration?

Generically you are looking for software that will remap the press of a mouse button(s).

E.g.:

https://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/remap-mouse-buttons-on-windows-10/

https://www.raymond.cc/blog/changing-and-customizing-your-mouse-buttons-actions/

Not able to recommend any given application/product per se.

And it is very likely that you will need to test each one (or others) to first determine if you can indeed truly rebind the middle mouse button as desired and secondly to ensure that there are no "cons" to the "pros" with respect to the remapping software.
Correct, I want the middle mouse button to not change modes when I hold it down. The mouse comes with a remapping software, but no matter what button I bind the middle mouse button to, it changes the mode when I hold it. The middle mouse button is used for your special abilities in Rainbow 6, but whenever I do it with my new mouse tabs me out and inevitably kills me.

amaloy10

Prominent
Jul 28, 2018
It is office mode. You can switch between them with tabs on the top of the customization menu. Each mode has its own customizable DPI, keybinds, RGB lighting, etc.

Ralston18

Titan
Thank you.

What actually happens when you accidently click the middle button?

Is "office mode" one of those "close my screen and hide what I am doing when the boss walks in" options?

I.e., the game window disappears and just the desktop is left viewable?

amaloy10

Prominent
Jul 28, 2018
Thank you.

What actually happens when you accidently click the middle button?

Is "office mode" one of those "close my screen and hide what I am doing when the boss walks in" options?

I.e., the game window disappears and just the desktop is left viewable?
The different modes just let you bind more keys (ex- keybinds for Photoshop in office mode and keybinds for CoD in gaming mode). The 2 different tabs have the exact same layout in the mouse config menu. Also, it’s not just pressing the middle mouse button, it’s holding in in for 3-4 seconds that makes the mode change.

Ralston18

Titan
Is it possible to change the office mode keybinds to be CoD as well?

Honestly not sure how that might work if the mouse drivers are hard-coded to close/shutdown gaming mode and go to office mode no matter what. Even if the office mode is set for CoD.

Actually a bit surprised that there is not a "disable" option of some sort within the mouse configuration settings.

But then again it is a "low end" mouse and the drivers were just copied or modified from some other mouse.

Bears some resemblance to the Logictech G502.

Maybe the Ratel is "at heart" identical to the G502 - just cosmetically different and using Ratel branding.

Found this via Amazon link to the Ratel Mouse:

"This gaming mouse is equipped with the latest version of the A3050 chip, providing the great gaming performance for the gaming mouse, 7 programmable buttons and 6 DPI settings put pinpoint targeting and easy hotkey access at your fingertips. Make you be the king in the game. "

Maybe the drivers for some other mouse using the A3050 chip would work to a fuller extent meaning there could be some disable function with regards to office vs gaming.

Uncertain as to how far you may wish to pursue the matter with respect to trying other possible drivers: but likewise not sure what else to suggest.

Solution
Sounds like the mouse manufacturer hard-coded the office/gaming switch to a long-press of the middle mouse button, figuring nothing else would require a middle button long-press. Unfortunately the game makes use of it.

Is there any way to remap that functionality in R6 to another button, or to a keyboard key which you then map to an extra button on the mouse?