[SOLVED] Way to test if Ryzen 7 3700X is failing?

effektz

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
Hey guys I have been working with several members in the Windows 10 forum about all the BSOD I keep getting from my PC. While we have seem to make some headway to me I feel like somehow my CPU is the cause of all the issues.

The main issue is that I get BSOD and crashes whenever I play a Unity Game. Any game using Unreal Engine or Steam seem to be ok but anything with Unity is the issue. I have searched and searched online for help and came across this thread that seems to be a mirror image to the issues I am facing. It seems the issue with this persons PC was his intel CPU and was able to successfully RMA it. Since it was really technical, I was wondering if someone could help me or point me in the right direction to see if this may be what is happening to me?

https://forum.unity.com/threads/uni...es-made-with-it-are-randomly-crashing.897173/

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/fo...s-crash-with-unityplayerdll-access-violation/

In my adventure navigating the BSODs, I have ran Prime95 test for 20 hours and no issue came up. We have narrowed down that the unity game crashes all crash because its trying to access an invalid address (not really sure what that means). Any help is appreciated, here is my specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard: GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE ATX
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16
SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 980PRO NVME M.2 SSD
GPU: ASUS AMD RADEON RX5700 8G
PSU: CORSAIR RMX750X FM 80+G ATX PSU
Chassis: Fractal Meshify Mid-Tower

Solution
I do not have any of those utilities installed or use them. I am running the games I play that are based on Unity via their launchers. I did upgrade the Bios to F37c and I see that XMP is disabled now and system is able to boot and be workable. I will try to play a game and see if it BSODs.

EDIT: Encountered a BAD OBJECT HEADER right as I started to play the game
Try toggling processor virtualization in BIOS.

What I've seen about Unity games is they're usually used on Android devices and such. That suggests they may be running in an emulation and/or virtualization to run on x86/Windows. When I tried running Bluestacks, an Android emulator, it was extremely picky with virtualization since, I believe, it was running it's own...
Hey guys I have been working with several members in the Windows 10 forum about all the BSOD I keep getting from my PC. While we have seem to make some headway to me I feel like somehow my CPU is the cause of all the issues.

The main issue is that I get BSOD and crashes whenever I play a Unity Game. Any game using Unreal Engine or Steam seem to be ok but anything with Unity is the issue. I have searched and searched online for help and came across this thread that seems to be a mirror image to the issues I am facing. It seems the issue with this persons PC was his intel CPU and was able to successfully RMA it. Since it was really technical, I was wondering if someone could help me or point me in the right direction to see if this may be what is happening to me?

https://forum.unity.com/threads/uni...es-made-with-it-are-randomly-crashing.897173/

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/fo...s-crash-with-unityplayerdll-access-violation/

In my adventure navigating the BSODs, I have ran Prime95 test for 20 hours and no issue came up. We have narrowed down that the unity game crashes all crash because its trying to access an invalid address (not really sure what that means). Any help is appreciated, here is my specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard: GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE ATX
RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport LT 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 CL16
SSD: SAMSUNG 1TB 980PRO NVME M.2 SSD
GPU: ASUS AMD RADEON RX5700 8G
PSU: CORSAIR RMX750X FM 80+G ATX PSU
Chassis: Fractal Meshify Mid-Tower
Have you tried this: do a CMOS reset or load optimized defaults from within BIOS and make no changes, except maybe to fan profiles. Do not set any XMP memory profiles, leave them in default settings. Then try playing your game, full default settings on both memory and CPU. Does it repeat the BSOD's?

Another thing is a clean GPU driver re-install. I use DDU...Display Driver Uninstaller. I think some just uninstall the AMD GPU driver and chipset drivers then run the AMD Driver Cleanup utility, then reinstall the latest chipset drivers followed by GPU drivers.

Last edited:

effektz

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
Have you tried this: do a CMOS reset or load optimized defaults from within BIOS and make no changes, except maybe to fan profiles. Do not set any XMP memory profiles, leave them in default settings. Then try playing your game, full default settings on both memory and CPU. Does it repeat the BSOD's?

Another thing is a clean GPU driver re-install. I use DDU...Display Driver Uninstaller. I think some just uninstall the AMD GPU driver and chipset drivers then run the AMD Driver Cleanup utility, then reinstall the latest chipset drivers followed by GPU drivers.

I have tried loading the defaults from BIOS, no luck. At first when I thought it was my memory, XMP Profile was not enabled, so I was getting BSOD with it not on. I turned it on later on as part of a debugging process and now I cannot turn it off without straight BSOD on load up. I performed a clean GPU driver install with DDU and have installed a new SSD, Memory and fresh clean copy of windows but still have the issue. When I go to install the AMD Chipset drivers, I get a BSOD of SYSTEM REFERENCE EXCEPTION every single time. Did you want me to try the Driver Cleanup Utility?

effektz

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
I highly doubt the CPU is having a problem if only Unity is affected.

If this is reproducible, the next time it BSODs, run WhoCrashed afterwards to read the memory dump. It may point to a file that should help narrow down what to fix.

Yes it is very reproducible and there is a member in the Windows 10 sub forum helping me look through all the dump files. None of them point to a specific file that we have found yet but he is still working through them.

I have tried loading the defaults from BIOS, no luck. At first when I thought it was my memory, XMP Profile was not enabled, so I was getting BSOD with it not on. I turned it on later on as part of a debugging process and now I cannot turn it off without straight BSOD on load up.
That seems strange. Disabling XMP should make memory operate at DDR4 default clocks, 2133 or 2400. That's super safe, if it can't operate at that clock speed then memory could be faulty. Enabling XMP might be forcing a higher DIMM voltage which overcomes that.

effektz

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
That seems strange. Disabling XMP should make memory operate at DDR4 default clocks, 2133 or 2400. That's super safe, if it can't operate at that clock speed then memory could be faulty. Enabling XMP might be forcing a higher DIMM voltage which overcomes that.

I have ran several MEMtest86 on each stick individually and never had any errors. I replaced the RAM with new sticks and still had no issues. Ran MEMTest86 on those as well and all passed. That is why i was thinking its more the CPU but I dont know of a way to test that

I have ran several MEMtest86 on each stick individually and never had any errors. I replaced the RAM with new sticks and still had no issues. Ran MEMTest86 on those as well and all passed. That is why i was thinking its more the CPU but I dont know of a way to test that
Prime95. It passed that 20 hours. I also like Folding at Home; it's super strict about cores that throw errors in calculations. And there's also Core Cycler, which is a different kind of stress test. It tests the CPU during light single core boosting to maximum clocks, something it won't do in a heavy stress test.

I'm still not confident in memory, though, if it can't operate stable at default DDR4 clock speeds and at default voltage.

I'd also blame the game; is it by any means based on Unreal Engine? Unreal Engine is an Intel supported project, they're not really interested in AMD compatibility. That generally translates to poor performance though, not so much stability. It may be time to get familiar with your Event Viewer; chase down the faulty modules that's causing the BSOD's if it's stable on other softwares.

effektz

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
Prime95. It passed that 20 hours. I also like Folding at Home; it's super strict about cores that throw errors in calculations. And there's also Core Cycler, which is a different kind of stress test. It tests the CPU during light single core boosting to maximum clocks, something it won't do in a heavy stress test.

I'm still not confident in memory, though, if it can't operate stable at default DDR4 clock speeds and at default voltage.

I'd also blame the game; is it by any means based on Unreal Engine? Unreal Engine is an Intel supported project, they're not really interested in AMD compatibility. That generally translates to poor performance though, not so much stability. It may be time to get familiar with your Event Viewer; chase down the faulty modules that's causing the BSOD's if it's stable on other softwares.

It is any Unity based game I have issues with. No issues with games like Fortnite or CSGO, just any Unity one. Should I try to reset CMOS and try it again?

It is any Unity based game I have issues with. No issues with games like Fortnite or CSGO, just any Unity one. Should I try to reset CMOS and try it again?
What is a Unity game?

You can try a CMOS reset, this time do it with a battery pull. Leave it out a few minutes, then reassemble. Don't make any BIOS changes, except maybe fan profiles.

Oh yes: and are you running any utilities? like Corsair or NZXT utilities? or Ryzenmaster? I'd uninstall those...or anything else like them... just to simplify things while finding the problem.

EDIT add: are you running these Unity games through an Android emulator? Like Bluestacks?

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Cpu isn't the issue. It's the engine itself. Unity is the single most popular engine out there, there's a ton of Android games based on it, but also many pc games too, like Escape from Tarkov. So it's not necessarily a bluestacks issue.

First thing I'd do is update the bios following the bios path if more than one update is required. It's entirely plausible the Unity engine itself is updated to newer instruction sets/changes and running an older bios is giving it fits because what it's looking for isn't there, or is in the wrong place, so giving the incorrect address error.

General wisdom had it that if the bios works just fine, leave it alone, don't upgrade, but in this case, bios is definitely not right if messing with xmp causes it to crash. Bios update will also have updated Agesa and memory compatibility fixes/additions, which hopefully solves that issue.

effektz

Reputable
Jul 15, 2019
What is a Unity game?

You can try a CMOS reset, this time do it with a battery pull. Leave it out a few minutes, then reassemble. Don't make any BIOS changes, except maybe fan profiles.

Oh yes: and are you running any utilities? like Corsair or NZXT utilities? or Ryzenmaster? I'd uninstall those...or anything else like them... just to simplify things while finding the problem.

EDIT add: are you running these Unity games through an Android emulator? Like Bluestacks?

I do not have any of those utilities installed or use them. I am running the games I play that are based on Unity via their launchers.

@Karadjgne I did upgrade the Bios to F37c and I see that XMP is disabled now and system is able to boot and be workable. I will try to play a game and see if it BSODs.

Last edited:
I do not have any of those utilities installed or use them. I am running the games I play that are based on Unity via their launchers. I did upgrade the Bios to F37c and I see that XMP is disabled now and system is able to boot and be workable. I will try to play a game and see if it BSODs.

Try toggling processor virtualization in BIOS.

What I've seen about Unity games is they're usually used on Android devices and such. That suggests they may be running in an emulation and/or virtualization to run on x86/Windows. When I tried running Bluestacks, an Android emulator, it was extremely picky with virtualization since, I believe, it was running it's own virtualization within Windows.

For that matter, try disabling secure boot, run in CSM mode, and disable the TPM. Windows may complain (if Win11) but I believe it will still run for you...just much less secure.

A curious thing about later BIOS' is manufacturers are trying to get standard with what Microsoft wants for enhanced Windows security. MS wants things like Secure Boot, TPM and as well processor virtualization enabled so newer BIOS' often enable those things by default and they many times play havoc with emulators.

Last edited:
Solution