WD Acquires Hitachi GST for $4.3 Billion

Status
Not open for further replies.

burnley14

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
[citation][nom]TheWhiteRose000[/nom]NOOOOOOO!!!!I hate WD and Love Hitachi!How could they do this to me![/citation]
Quite ironic, I have exactly the opposite sentiments. Never had a WD fail on me, but several Hitachis so far.

dgingeri

Distinguished
Since Jan 1, I've had to replace 5 Hitachi Ultrastars, 3 WD RE3s, and 8 Seagate Constellations, all less than 6 months old, all 1TB drives. (They're on loan from our manufacturing side so we can use them for testing, so they have to get returned before they reach 6 months old.) So, I have no real love for Hitachi or WD, but they're better than Seagate.

I don't like the idea of less competition in the desktop HD space, but with the SSD market growing like wildfire, and tons of competition there, I don't mind it so much. the HD market is dropping rapidly, and sooner or later they'll go down like horse drawn plow makers.

SS storage is the way to go. My main machine has nothing but SSDs (2X 120GB Vertex 2s in a RAID 0 and one 120GB Vertex for old game installations) as of a couple weeks ago. My HD storage (4X 750GB WD Caviar Black in RAID 10) went to my server to retire.

LordConrad

Distinguished
I liked Quantum. There was a time when nothing could beat a Bigfoot for single drive storage capacity. Now we've got 2+ TB per drive for storage and SSDs for speed.

I hope WD reliability doesn't degrade after this merger.

zman977

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
In my opinion, Western Digital should of acquired a company that makes SSD memory so they could better compete in the SDD market... Just my 2 cents though.

kewlx

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]Quite ironic, I have exactly the opposite sentiments. Never had a WD fail on me, but several Hitachis so far.[/citation]
Same feelings... love WD not HT

[citation][nom]burnley14[/nom]Quite ironic, I have exactly the opposite sentiments. Never had a WD fail on me, but several Hitachis so far.[/citation]
I second that...the failure rate was so high on Hitachi Deskstars hard drives that they got the name "Deathstars".
They were getting better thought

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]...SS storage is the way to go. My main machine has nothing but SSDs (2X 120GB Vertex 2s in a RAID 0 and one 120GB Vertex for old game installations) as of a couple weeks ago. My HD storage (4X 750GB WD Caviar Black in RAID 10) went to my server to retire.[/citation]
At this point it still boils down to cost vs benefit. We all recognize the benefit of SSD (I have a 60GB one as my system drive, and it still blows my mind how fast it is), but honestly, who can conveniently afford a set-up such as yours? Not too many, believe me.

lp231

Splendid
[citation][nom]zman977[/nom]In my opinion, Western Digital should of acquired a company that makes SSD memory so they could better compete in the SDD market... Just my 2 cents though.[/citation]

Western Digital do sell SSDs, but they don't see a benefit due to high dollar per GB, therefore it's not at the top of their list.

TheWhiteRose000

Distinguished
[citation][nom]dgingeri[/nom]Since Jan 1, I've had to replace 5 Hitachi Ultrastars, 3 WD RE3s, and 8 Seagate Constellations, all less than 6 months old, all 1TB drives. (They're on loan from our manufacturing side so we can use them for testing, so they have to get returned before they reach 6 months old.) So, I have no real love for Hitachi or WD, but they're better than Seagate.I don't like the idea of less competition in the desktop HD space, but with the SSD market growing like wildfire, and tons of competition there, I don't mind it so much. the HD market is dropping rapidly, and sooner or later they'll go down like horse drawn plow makers. SS storage is the way to go. My main machine has nothing but SSDs (2X 120GB Vertex 2s in a RAID 0 and one 120GB Vertex for old game installations) as of a couple weeks ago. My HD storage (4X 750GB WD Caviar Black in RAID 10) went to my server to retire.[/citation]

xD
Funny how that works right?

caeden

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2009
Seagate for aftermarket consumers, WD for servers and Samsung manages to make it in as OEM equipment. But really... HT has been out of the game for years already, just a matter of time.

cpatel1987

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
[citation][nom]lp231[/nom]Western Digital do sell SSDs, but they don't see a benefit due to high dollar per GB, therefore it's not at the top of their list.[/citation]

I don't know if this technology has exclusive patent rights to Seagate, but they could consider making the compromise, which is the Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid Drives. Aka 500 GB capacity where 4 GB is Solid State memory for the most loaded files.

But anyway, holy crap though Hitachi being bought out, quite the epic move. Positive note for me, I'm a Western Digital fan myself, but have bought Seagates every now and then also. Both equally good quality-wise. If anything, I have worse luck with Samsung and Hitachi for whatever reason.

weatherdude

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Huh, I thought Seagate was the industry leader in hard drives. I suppose Western Digital must have overtaken them recently. Their lead will probably extend further with this acquisition.

johnsmithhatesVLC

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
This is almost as bad as the merge between Seagate and Maxtor.

WD just went full retard. Guess Samsung Spinpoints will be the last respectably hard drives on the market.

G

The funny thing is that hitachi drives had the lowest failure rate in a study.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
I've never had a drive fail on me. I have Maxtor, Quantum, Seagate, Samgung, Western Digital, but no Hitachi (I think). I have a couple dozen drives.

Maybe I'm just lucky. :D

ewoo22

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
"There was a time when nothing could beat a Bigfoot for single drive storage capacity. "

there was a time nothing could beat the fireball, also made by Quantum.

I am looking forward for SSD drives price to go down.

[citation][nom]TheWhiteRose000[/nom]NOOOOOOO!!!!I hate WD and Love Hitachi!How could they do this to me![/citation]
have you been living under a rock? WD are great and majority of people back that up. You must be one of those people that have 1 bad experience with 1 product and will never look at the company again instead of looking at the overall picture.

G

WD DRIVES are better than Hitachi and WD also have SSD's so cry Seagate and ready to sell your stocks to WD!

Status
Not open for further replies.