News WD Addresses SMR Controversy With New Red Plus Hard Drives

Yea that REDs shouldn't even been SMR to begin with. almost every reason why you would buy one of these, using SMR would not be ideal at all. Hopefully with them now showing us the difference the SMR sales will drop to nothing and they will just do away with it.

Reactions: digitalgriffin
Yea that REDs shouldn't even been SMR to begin with. almost every reason why you would buy one of these, using SMR would not be ideal at all. Hopefully with them now showing us the difference the SMR sales will drop to nothing and they will just do away with it.
Even with xfr on a 100% new drive a resilver was about 130MBps average. The seagate ironwolfs are 200 MBps average.

The zfs rebuild was abysmal

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Then the question is, for those that they have successfully switch and baited, are those people able to get a replacement to the new Red Plus drives? It was a sly move to quietly switch from CMR to SMR, with no notification or announcement. So people are sure to assume nothing changed. This is a significant change, that they should not have made without announcing it.

castl3bravo

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2013
Being a data hoarder with zfs I switched to a Raid10/mirror to get better performance with my KVM lab. My one resilvering experience was another motivator to get away from raidz2. Not surprised by the slimy behavior of these "spinning rust" companies. When it's time to upgrade it'll be SSDs that are the better bet anyway.

TRENDING THREADS