Question WD Black² Dual Drive 2.5” 120 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jul 11, 2024
It is one "physical drive".
120GB SSD and 1TB HDD in the same 3.5" form factor.
This seems really confusing to me. How can there be two different storage devices in one? It doesn't make sense. Maybe that's where my problems are coming from. I still think something's not right with my system because my PC was much faster before I reformatted and reinstalled Windows.

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
This seems really confusing to me. How can there be two different storage devices in one? It doesn't make sense. Maybe that's where my problems are coming from. I still think something's not right with my system because my PC was much faster before I reformatted and reinstalled Windows.
It's one physical object using one SATA port. Inside the box is an SSD and a HDD. The SSD and HDD appear as separate partitions in an object that the SATA port sees as one physical "drive".

USAFRet

Titan
The "SSD" is really just a portion of the circuit board.

Disk Management generally doesn't lie....one line across == one physical drive.

There were many of these hybrid drives.

Once they go south, or you go the wrong way with formatting or install, it is hard to recover the two supposed spaces.

Does the bios see the disk as 2 units?

USAFRet

Titan
Also, consider that this drive is over a decade old. And it was just a stopgap, because 1TB SSDs were very very expensive in 2013.

The 128GB SSD is very small by todays standards.

It was $300 when released.
Today, a 1TB SATA III SSD is well under $100, down to $50 for some off brands.