[SOLVED] WD Black 6TB HD Clicking like a clock?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccoo84

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2013
I have a WD black as my Backup/Storage drive for pictures & extra games or files in my system..

It works fine other then trhe fact is that it has a continues click every socond or so.. I don't know if its the cache from a program, I can't figure out why.. Its just annoying & I'm kinda worried it might be some kind of problem...

Any help would be great thanks..

Solution
Some noise from a drive is normal. At times it can be hard to tell if it's a regular or bad noise, and SMART and such often don't catch failures with the head. So long as it continues to operate, I would probably continue to use it, however take the opportunity NOW to back up the important things you wish to keep.

edit- I have a drive as part of a storage pool I use that 'bumps' while in use. It actually has showed as "99% good" for the last couple of years. I keep on using it, not causing any issue specifically but the information on there is backed up elsewhere as well.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Some noise from a drive is normal. At times it can be hard to tell if it's a regular or bad noise, and SMART and such often don't catch failures with the head. So long as it continues to operate, I would probably continue to use it, however take the opportunity NOW to back up the important things you wish to keep.

edit- I have a drive as part of a storage pool I use that 'bumps' while in use. It actually has showed as "99% good" for the last couple of years. I keep on using it, not causing any issue specifically but the information on there is backed up elsewhere as well.

Solution

ccoo84

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2013
UPDATE: So after messing around with "Task Manager" turns out it was HWInfo64 Running in the background just so you know for the future, I'm assuming it was just updating constant intervals of some kind.
I shut the program down & the clicking stopped.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts