WD Black worth it over Green?

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Hey,

About a month back I built a new PC with an OCZ Vertex 60GB SSD for Windows and select apps, then a WD Caviar Black 1TB for everything else. Unfortunatly, due to the 70+ hours of Blu-Ray home videos I've managed to attain, I may soon run out of space on the WD, and HDDs obviously run faster when they are loaded less.

So, I would like to buy a new Hard Drive to store all this video, and nothing else on. (Aside the point, it'll fill my last HDD Slot and SATA Slot oddly enough :lol: )

I REALLY love the way the Black performs. For me it reads over 110MB/s and writes at up to 130MB/s at times. It's great. But, as performance doesn't matter too much for storage, I could save $10 and pay $85 for the WD Caviar Green 1TB over the $95 WD Caviar Black 1TB.

So should I go for a second of the same HDD I have now and love or save $10 and get a Green?

To help you help me:

1) I don't really care about the noise, the black is mostly silent.
2) $10 isn't a huge deal
3) The deciding factor for me will likely be if the Green is really THAT MUCH slower.

So is $10 extra worth the extra performance of the Black? Or is there not much of a difference? Can someone post a benchmark for the green?

wathman

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2009
If all you are doing is storing videos, I'd go with the Green drive. It is a tad slower, but they are much more power efficient than the Blacks. Green drives are plenty fast enough for small HTPC builds. You'll be using it as a secondary storage drive anyway so application and OS access speeds are irrelevant. If your computer is going to be kept on most of the time, you'll save some money in the long run from your power bills. Green drives run much cooler also, and seeing as you will be filling up your last 3.5" bay, you'd want to have a relatively cooler drive. If your case doesn't have one already, an intake fan to improve airflow in front of your HD bays would be a wise investment.

raybob95

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009

I've got an Antec 900, and all 3 drives are in the bottom bay, with a 120mm fan blowing on them.

Anyway, I found some benchmarks that said the Black averaged at 105 MB/s, and the Green at 95MB/s. Is it really that small of a difference?

Honestly, if I have the ability to spend the small extra money by the time I run out of space I'll get the black. (I'm only 13 and thus it takes a while to save at a rate of $6-10/week. :D

belial2k

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2009
Get the green for storage...performance won't take any hit at all by being on slightly slower drive if you are not trying to run programs off of it. It is a little cheaper, and it will save you a couple of bucks each year in power usage.