WD external desktop HDD on/off button

rjsticky

Reputable
May 4, 2014
I am wondering why these external desktop WD HDD have an on/off power button at the back?
I have several older My Books (1TB) and a new Elements (3TB)?
Ejecting them is no problem (mostly), but the little led light at the front always keeps flashing. Press the on/off button at the back does not change anything.

I now just use my extension cords on/off switch to cut power, but ..., well the above.

Thanks, Ron

Solution
Hey there, @Ron!

The flashing lights on your external WD drives usually indicate that they are on standby mode. Even if you turn down the external drive or safely eject it, it's still connected to the computer and to the electricity (it's still supplied with power) which is why it's still in standby mode. If you physically disconnect the desktop external HDDs, you won't face such flashing light issues.
I'd advise you read through this article from our knowledge base about the Flashing LED on older WD My Book products, if interested in more details.

Let me know if you have more questions!
SuperSoph_WD
Hey there, @Ron!

The flashing lights on your external WD drives usually indicate that they are on standby mode. Even if you turn down the external drive or safely eject it, it's still connected to the computer and to the electricity (it's still supplied with power) which is why it's still in standby mode. If you physically disconnect the desktop external HDDs, you won't face such flashing light issues.
I'd advise you read through this article from our knowledge base about the Flashing LED on older WD My Book products, if interested in more details.

Let me know if you have more questions!
SuperSoph_WD

Solution