Review WD Gold 24TB HDD review: The highest capacity hard drive you can buy right now

newtechldtech

Notable
Sep 21, 2022
It is strange that we are stuck with 7200RPM drives for higher capacities for a long time... the research is focused on capacity and not IOPS for HDD 10K RPM and 15K RPM exist for a long time as well but no one is researching incresing the capacity of such drives.

Reactions: phenomiix6
It is strange that we are stuck with 7200RPM drives for higher capacities for a long time... the research is focused on capacity and not IOPS for HDD 10K RPM and 15K RPM exist for a long time as well but no one is researching incresing the capacity of such drives.
Why fight a battle you can never win?

SSD's will always have the speed side sewn up, most spinners are 'fast enough' to be near-line storage and are usually deployed as part of a larger array. Power consumption / heat, capacity and maybe noise are the only real improvements to be made.

Jan 16, 2024
Is there a SAS version of it ? In professional environments this will be most likely the case.

newtechldtech

Notable
Sep 21, 2022

SSD's will always have the speed side sewn up, most spinners are 'fast enough' to be near-line storage and are usually deployed as part of a larger array. Power consumption / heat, capacity and maybe noise are the only real improvements to be made.
10K and 15K drives are not discontinued ... they are ust not increasing their capacties.

Vanderlindemedia

Prominent
Jul 15, 2022

Heat, and lifespan of HDD suffers from higher speeds.

At 15K RPM your kind of already at the limit of a platter & head. It's within 2 ms avg response time and going higher only ensures a greater risk of reliability issues.

Your better off building a traditional HDD with a spare NVME cache - this way it can accelerate or cache while the HDD writes with traditional speeds.

Or if the time is ripe, a super storage based on SSD. No noise, barely power and far better reliability.

Last edited:

emike09

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
Still stuck at 512MB cache. Is this due to limiting the amount of data that needs to be written during a power out scenario? All my servers have backup power generation, and also run on UPS power and receive shutdown signals when there's only 6 minutes of backup power remaining. They all finish what they're writing and shut down within 1-2 minutes. Maybe there's another reason to stay at 512MB?

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009

Also those 15K rpm drives tended to have smaller capacities that were similar to SSDs when SSDs were first introduced, making 10k and 15k irrelevant. The WD Raptor was more expensive than many 1tb SSDs when the 1tb raptor was still a thing.

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023
10K and 15K rpm drives have less capacity, because they use smaller platters. They are phyiscally the size of 2.5" drives, but sit on a 3.5" heatsink caddy.

7200rpm Dual actuator drives are capable of saturating the SATA-600, 6Gbps bus.
It's like RAID0 in a single drive and connector.

AFAIK, 10k rpm with a 3.5" platter causes the disk edge velocity to hit mach1, which is not good.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
10K and 15K drives are not discontinued ... they are ust not increasing their capacties.
So, they're discontinued. If no further new models are being released, and there is no reason to buy one of these drives unless you're replacing an existing one, they're discontinued.

Seagate did officially state back in 2016 that they will not be releasing any more 15 k drives. So they are officially dead.

spongiemaster

Admirable
Dec 12, 2019
Is your google broken?

https://www.anandtech.com/show/5729/western-digital-velociraptor-1tb-wd1000dhtz-review/2

Basically, ~twice as fast as a regular 7,200 RPM drive.
Monumentally slower than a typical SATA III SSD.
ok, so about 240 MB/s sequential read and write speeds. Still about half as fast as a SATA SSD.
Keep in mind that's a 14 year old 10k drive. The last 15k drive, released 8 years ago, topped out at 315MB/s. Had development continued, we would have single head drives topping 400MB/s and maybe closing in on the limits of SATAIII, but it just didn't make any sense with the emergence of SSD's.

Reactions: Order 66

Colif

Win 11 Master
I had a Velociraptor in 2009, it ran at 10k. MY 1st ssd was still substantially faster than it

this guys lacks the heatsink mine has but i doubt it make much difference

I had two of them but the first died within 2 years so i replaced it. First was 150gb, i think second was 300gb. Second probably still works today. Last time I used it in a PC was 2015, it appeared to be losing space rapidly but its more likely it was the page file, as going from 8gb of ram to 16 showed I used more space than I actually had before.

Last edited:
Reactions: Order 66

TRENDING THREADS