WD My Book Pro Thunderbolt 2-Bay Boasts 435 MB/s Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

f-14

Distinguished
it's a gimmick that takes advantage of the cache of the hard disks being increased to 128MB per disk and is not sustainable beyond the drive cache being filled when stripped in 128MB chunks by each drive
435/128=3.3 roughly so 4 drives could eat 435MB in a second.
i would like to see the test chart showing the sustained speed which is probably only for 1.3 seconds that this can be accomplished. being impressed would require 6-60 minutes at this speed which no hard disk drive heads could sustain until 10 years from now at the soonest, but i would bank more upon 25 years.

RAID 0 (also known as a stripe set or striped volume) splits ("stripes") data evenly across two or more disks, without parity information, redundancy, or fault tolerance. Since RAID 0 provides no fault tolerance or redundancy, the failure of one drive will cause the entire array to fail; as a result of having data striped across all disks, the failure will result in total data loss. This configuration is typically implemented having speed as the intended goal.[2][3] RAID 0 is normally used to increase performance, although it can also be used as a way to create a large logical volume out of two or more physical disks.[4]

BorgOvermind

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2011
435 MB/s would imply a RAID 0 of 3 drives.
I get about same speed from my old 2TB black drives, also 3 in RAID 0.

As a note, drives finally exceeded 150MB/s - that's SATA 1 speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.