WD passport Essential Sudden Death

jaidev_goswami

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
hello,
i bought wd passport essential 500 gb a couple of months back.
till date it was working fine but as soon as i attached it to a manhattan usb hub(4 in 1),
it worked for a while and suddenly went out of detection.
Now it is not detected in any of my computers, and the light in it continuously stays on when connected instead of flickering.
pls. help, i have a lot of imp. data in it.
and i dont have a backup...
is it corrupt or the hardware is blown out?
my frnd says, the cheap usb hub has cleared its partition due to electric load? is it true?
plsssss. help.

ethicalid

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2010
I too have same problem if u have got any solution till now plz help me my email id is ethicalid@gmail.com and i stay in India

Don't know. I do know that I wouldn't operate an external drive through a hub.

For both of you, about the only thing affordable that you can do is to hope that the USB interface is the problem, pull the drive from the case, and plug it directly into the computer.

bucci729

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
I did the same thing. After plugging my hard drive into the USB hub the computer won't detect it anymore. I tried plugging it directly into the computer and now every time I plug it in the computer tells me one of my usb items is using too much power so it's been disabled. And that's pretty much that.

renescy

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I have pretty much the same problem!

I believe that something fried on the PCB.. And my question is, if however find another one drive same as mine, and swap the PCB, would be able to access my data??

My disk is (was) WD My Passport Essential 500gb (the usb 2.0 model, not usb 3.0)

Please help!!

jaidev_goswami

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009

I replaced the external casing of the HD and its working.....

then i connected the HD with new casing which has two usb cables popping out of it to my new pc and that fried up my mobo...i rma'ed it... then i figured out that such usb powered devices(high power sucking) must not be plugged in front usb port...use back ports only...its now working fine :)

BTW what is the use of dual mouthed usb cable (male) ?

usavkumar

Honorable
May 18, 2012

Hi,
Have you managed to fix your problem by swapping the PCB with another drive of same model? I am facing the same problem drive is suddenly not detected so now am planning to swap the PCB.

Regards,
- Usav

jaidev_goswami

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009

just change the casing .... i used transcend 2.5 in casing.... it works... but plug it in the rear usb port only.