WD RED Vs Blue Reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhshassaan

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013
Hi Guys,

My 2 TB Green WD drive is failing after two years :??:. So, I'm forced to buy a 1TB drive to replace it (Can't afford the 2TB right now). I'm considering Blue or a Red WD drive, I don't care which is faster/quitter, I only need better reliability. Can you guys help me decide?

1st drive: Western Digital (WD) Caviar BLUE WD10EZEX 1TB SATA 6Gb/s 7200 RPM 64MB Cache HDD

2nd drive: Western Digital WD Red WD10EFRX 1TB SATA 6 Gb/s 64 MB NAS HDD

Thank you for helping ;)

Solution
The best reliability will be in the WD Black drives. 5 year warranties. The Red is 2nd best. As for the Green failing after only 2 years, that's a bit unusual and you might want to check if your warranty is still valid.

The Blacks do cost a little more, but they are #1 in reliability. I still have an old one i got back in 2007 as the only HDD in my main rig that runs under load 24/7 and has yet to cough up a single bad sector.

JohnPMyers

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
The best reliability will be in the WD Black drives. 5 year warranties. The Red is 2nd best. As for the Green failing after only 2 years, that's a bit unusual and you might want to check if your warranty is still valid.

The Blacks do cost a little more, but they are #1 in reliability. I still have an old one i got back in 2007 as the only HDD in my main rig that runs under load 24/7 and has yet to cough up a single bad sector.

Solution
sometimes you get bad luck with hard drives. it can even be the way the drive is transported, if its taken a hard bump in transport it can fail early. green drives should be no less reliable than the blue or black drives. you could go out and buy the most expensive drive ever with the highest reliability rating and still get a dud.

mhshassaan

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

Thanks John, I think if I could stretch the money a little bit I'll opt for a Black, but currently I'll consider the Red. Anyways, I scanned my current Green with Macrorit, and it seems that it has only 1 error found!! Yet it keeps making this subtle "fast clicking" sound as if the needle is hitting something/stumbling on something every time it goes out seeking a sector!

extra info: this only happens when I first try opening a folder that hasn't been opened recently (not cached yet).

Any ideas?! Is it really failing?

mhshassaan

Honorable
Nov 29, 2013

Yep, I guess I had some bad luck with this Green one! :??:

andy55

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Well i'm using Seagate external drives for last 8 years & it has never disappointed me. When it comes to reliability there's nothing like Seagate. Also i used a Samsung drive which lasted for just 2 months and crashed to an extent that no recovery was possible. I suggest you to try Seagate this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.