Question WDC WD5000AVCS-632DY1 500GB is faulty, wanted to backup data.

Mohd Azylee

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2014
I tried everything, I can't open it it just hangs there, and the disk name is changed to stock Local Disk from the name i put it (WD Green) , I tried EaseUs Partition Master to try to clone the disk to other disk. Welp... it doesn't work, ( so many hangs and lag during the process and it fails ) I tried running Chkdsk in CMD admin and some how it says RAW format and it can't run Chkdsk due that., but in EaseUs Partition Master tool says it was OTHER format. Also the HDD somehow is full at 468gb. Last time I have free space about 80gb or more, From windows this disk is cant be accessed . it doesn't say cant be accessed, it just hangs forever. the disk spins fine, no clicks what so ever. here are the images of EaseUs Partition master and from CrystalDiskInfo 8.5. Also something weird I have seen in my Event viewer that I believe relates to this issue is this 2 error, one says Encrypted volume check: Volume information on F: cannot be read. By Bitlock-Drive and the other one is The device, \Device\Harddisk3\DR3, has a bad block. by disk it self. and this error keeps repeating all the time that I got 46k errors already. maybe thats the reason of the hang. The weirdest one is, in my new asus mobo, h410m-e, it has asus ez bios update tool, I tried to open that and try to access the disk from and unbelievably, I can SEE my FOLDERS and access them , which makes me very weird and mad. I want my data back :(
It is a CCTV disk that I harvested it has more hours than stated there. maybe error? it was working very fine before, but when I got to online class I didn't touch the disk at all and after sem break that happens....
I bought the new power supply that might the case, and it was not. ( I just got upgrade i3 10105f with 500w cooler master PSU new build from crappy Chinese 500w psu and a q8400 cpu)

In bios it does trigger smart and say disk is bad

I apperciate any helps and replies. thank you.

Below are pictures provided.

e4Yyl9T.png

xlGrCCv.png

EGLTwAV.png

0Xud9Lg.png

thats all for now, if you want more info just tell me. thanks for helping :)

Last edited:

Mohd Azylee

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2014
You have two major problems:
  • physically bad hard drive
  • bitlocker-encrypted partition
Find another 500gb drive, and use disk-copy utility to copy as much as possible off the drive. Then, connect it to a system, decrypt it, and hope that you'll get something back.

Of course, you could use the backup made before the data was lost...

The disk isn't encrypted, and yes I tried that to clone the disk to other disk but did not work just hang, disk is inaccessible in windows but accessible in bios file searcher in asus bios. I see all the folders.. I think im going to make bootable linux lets see if its accessible there..
But I hope I can get it easy.. I never had this problem before in my life yet, this is new, hang and unable to access, disk no clicking what so ever. it was very healthy before..
thanks for the replies! Alabalcho

Mohd Azylee

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2014
lone the entirety off to some other driv
All drives are 'healthy'. Until they're not.

Clone the entirety off to some other drive. The more you mess with this one, the closer it is to failing completely.

Try ddrescue

or HDDSuperClone

This WILL require another drive of sufficient size.

I tried with easeus partition master to clone sector by sector to other drive also 500gb toshiba, somehow did not progress stuck at 1 % . that took a long time since it keep hanging on every single click, I will try your suggestion and will update, thanks.

USAFRet

Titan
I tried with easeus partition master to clone sector by sector to other drive also 500gb toshiba, somehow did not progress stuck at 1 % . that took a long time since it keep hanging on every single click, I will try your suggestion and will update, thanks.
And for future reference:

Backups are what you do before the drive starts to die.

Mohd Azylee

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2014
All drives are 'healthy'. Until they're not.

Clone the entirety off to some other drive. The more you mess with this one, the closer it is to failing completely.

Try ddrescue

or HDDSuperClone

This WILL require another drive of sufficient size.

Sorry , I'm a bit unfamiliar with the tool you given, one is linux only and other one needs a compiler. you have a user interface one?
last time i cloned using easyus it did work i did multiple clones like windows mostly.

USAFRet

Titan
Sorry , I'm a bit unfamiliar with the tool you given, one is linux only and other one needs a compiler. you have a user interface one?
last time i cloned using easyus it did work i did multiple clones like windows mostly.
Yes, they are both Linux based.

The difference with these vs standard cloning tools is that they will try to work around failing secotors.
Or retry.
A regular Windows clone tool will generally just stop and fail if it cannot read.

What is (or was) on this drive? Anything life changing?

Mohd Azylee

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2014
Yes, they are both Linux based.

The difference with these vs standard cloning tools is that they will try to work around failing secotors.
Or retry.
A regular Windows clone tool will generally just stop and fail if it cannot read.

What is (or was) on this drive? Anything life changing?
well, i store my family photos there and some games, my custom rom files, and mostly videos and pictures, of that ill download ubuntu bootable

Mohd Azylee

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2014
Guys, thanks for help but, I tried everything and I almost gave up searching for solutions, this hdd kept hanging and hanging and I dont know what to do, even hdd partitio hangs there forever. Now i could not access the hdd from the bios folder...