WD's Livewire Uses AC Outlets for Networking

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I think you can get the Linksys version for half the price.
And yes, this technology has been out for a while now. When they first came out they were only like 10-15 Mbs. 200 Mbs seems to be where everyone's at these days with powerline.

tokenz

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2006
I dont think it has been anywhere near this fast. Last time I checked it was at like 42mbit per second. So if you get 200mbps thats a really good speed. Also setting up multiples was difficult as well. I decided to run cat 6 instead. Still a little expensive though.

This reminds me of dialup home networks ware the phone line in the house is used in this way. Also some service providers use this method of networking except they use the power line as a medium but that is dead commercially in most areas while the concept is being kept alive such as this.

christiangordon

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2010
[citation][nom]angryfingertips[/nom]Wait till apple unveils theirs.[/citation]
As long as I can use all Operating Systems on it I would be fine with it.
Price must also be decent.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
They need to make a coax one for people who don't use their coax in the house like people with RJ45s (like U-Verse) or fiber (like FiOS).

jrnyfan

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2005
This tech exists already and there is a reason why it died out: It doesn't work. It's going to die out again and I pity the fools that get suckered into this again

G

@2real
"and how can you transfer your network signal over your electrical outlets?"
The frequency of the AC-current is used as a carrier wave and the information is modulated upon it, much like how FM-radio works.

Darkerson

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]christiangordon[/nom]As long as I can use all Operating Systems on it I would be fine with it.Price must also be decent.[/citation]

Apple and decent price do not go hand in hand :p

borisof007

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2010
[citation][nom]angryfingertips[/nom]Wait till apple unveils theirs.[/citation]

You mean the price tag? Yeah that'll be a real headline: Apple unveils DC Power Networking, $4,000 per computer.

Major7up

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2009
if your home has an underment (raised foundation) rather than a slab foundation then running ethernet is not that difficult. I have done more than several installations now none of which took more than a one full day to complete. Granted that is still more time and more expensive than the product discussed here, it can't beat running 550 MHz cat6 through your house. Especially if you plan you run HDMI over ethernet (yes it's possible).

angryfingertips

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
[citation][nom]christiangordon[/nom]As long as I can use all Operating Systems on it I would be fine with it.Price must also be decent.[/citation]

I'm sure that only apple stuff will work on it.

BTW my first post was sarcasm.

these things are expensive rubbish, and if they are anything like the old ones, they are also much slower than rated speeds. Id like to see a review of acutal speed achievable. And I also want to know if this puts out any electrical interference for other appliances??

derek2006

Distinguished
May 19, 2006
[citation][nom]ElectricFM[/nom]@2real"and how can you transfer your network signal over your electrical outlets?"The frequency of the AC-current is used as a carrier wave and the information is modulated upon it, much like how FM-radio works.[/citation]

Because 50-60 hertz is totally going to transfer 200mb/s of data through two pins.

rrobstur

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
[citation][nom]2real[/nom]doesn't this tech already exist? and how can you transfer your network signal over your electrical outlets?[/citation]
not shur about this tech.
but there is a wifi booster my isp provider gave me and it pawns, it pushes the signal into your power outlit that and intern acts like an antenna receiving and omtting the signal threw the power lines threwout the home.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
Still, what do you do when they power lines in your house are horrible?

My power flickers when I turn on or off a light in the house, causing other things to turn on or off on their own.

Status
Not open for further replies.