We Interview EFiX Creators: OS X on PC

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Seems like one of my favourite things to do is listen to people argue over dumb stuff like this over the internet.

There is no "best" OS; it's all a matter of prefrence.

zelannii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
OK, so it's a BIOS level Hypervisor... and it's stil in development with numerous other features coming.

Here's the "catch" with this product, and they're VERY careful to allways state this somehow: It will "run a perfectly legal, ORIGINAL copy of Leopard on your PC."

Yup, the ORIGINAL copy that came installed on a real mac, NOT the UPGRADE copy that's in stores in a box...

So, to LEGALLY use EFiX, you need to have access to a Mac, that came with Leopard (not Snow Leapord compatible yet) and to avoid the EULA, only run OS X on the EFiX machine going forward and not again on the old Mac.

If their idea is to get people who have not tried out Mac OS, they they're asking them to not only buy their expensive adapter, but also own a used defunct 2 year old Mac... Last I checked, a used Mac mini was still a few hundred bucks (one on eBay right now, closing in 14 minutes, is at $681, chapest one that's a Leopard model is about $300 and has nearly a day left in bidding with several active bidders), plus the EFiX which is over $220, might as well buy a new low-end Mini for $549...

zelannii

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
@spaztic7

Windows 7 is NOT the 7th version...
1.0, 2.0, 3.0, Windows 3.1, WfW 3.1, NT 3.1 (yes, all 3 distinctly different 3.1 releases sold seperately in different years), NT 3.51, NT4.0, 95, 95C, 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP, Vista, Win 7. 17, not 7 versions by my count! and that doesn't count SPs.

OS X has had 6. (10.1 was free, essentially a patch to 10.0 adding missing features). Each released after had MAJOR enhancements, typically 150-300 now bullet point features (with thousands of underlying changes). 10.6 is the unique one, being an underlying rewrite to 64bit for more than 1,000 aplications, but only 6 major new bullet point features, and for that they charged a measly $29 (well worth the multithreaded grand central support alone). 6 MAJOR Os released, on par with shifts from 98 -> 2000 or XP to Vista, certainly not service pack class updates.

As for your 3 "as a PC user I prefer..." statements: 1) best bang for the buck? Apple is #1 in performance for the dollar (you can't even BUILD a 27" iMac, in any form factor, excluding the OS, webcam, remote, and other gimmicky options, on NewEgg for less than they sell it for. Closest Dell system build is $450 more. You can't get a Mac mini comperable system in that price range either. Noone sells a 15" performance notebook for Apple's prices that matches it, and the 13" white macbook is $100 less than any equivalent I can find. Dell doesn't even sell an 8 core Xeon system and their 4 core system is hundreds more then a Mac Pro. No, Apple has no $500 notebooks or $300 deskton, but if it's performance per $, those are the low hanging fruit as they clearly don't PERFORM at all.
2) More Supported? Apple has industry leading support, over 100,000 applications run on it, and you can run Windows AND linux on it as well (including Win and OS X concurrenty). There's not an app that run on comodoty X86/64 that can't be run on Mac hardware. Device support you might mean? There's not a single component available for PC that I can not get a comperable part for a Mac from the same or alternate vendor for a competitive price. Most PCI internal parts work in Mac Pros without issue, and all the major vendors have Mac drivers for their components. Of course, since macs already come with eSATA, Bluetooth, WiFI N, FireWire 800/400, 7.1 optical surround out, Display port outputs, webcams, mics, and decent enough Vid Cards, short of TV tuners and USB devices, there really isn't much to add... The only people who seem to complain are the mid-range system builders (about 0.5% of the market, a tiny tiny fraction not even Dell cares about), and they don't buy from ANY verndor direct, so they can't blame Apple, and the real hard core guys who spend $3K+ on a rig would LOVE to get their hands on a Mac Pro (and I know a few who did).
3) Easier to use? Yes, you actually are ignorant... It is considdered public knowledge that OS X is the easiest to use OS. My wife, certainly not a computer whiz, had a new Mac set up all on her own, connected her phone, a camera, a camcorder, a printer, wifi, synced all her music to her iPod, set up email sync and imported her contacts from Google, published a blog site and photo album site to the web, created and ordered clendars for our parents for christmas, had the new computer backed up both to external disk and online, and edited video of our Baby's birthday party and burned a DVD, all without reading any manuals or watching any video tutorials, having never used a mac before, and all in less than 2 weeks of time (maybe 20 hours total) spent with the machine a few hours each night after coming home from work. Find me any computer-bob who can do that with Windows!

Status
Not open for further replies.