We Overclock Phenom II to 4.9GHz

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]squatchman[/nom]Well you two are just a couple of negative nancys! This could still be that Q6600 killer that AMD is hoping for![/citation]
Yep. I think the fact that AMD fixed their OC problem is really the point here. Sure, Phenom II is still far behind the Core i7, but its a step in the proper direction. The wrong direction would be like what Intel did with the Pentium 4 back in the day.

Now if only AMD could figure out how Intel took such an architectural jump over them and rebound. Does anyone have any specs, does this really even compete with the Q6600 as was joked about?

Correct me if im brong but it seems PhenomII @4.9ghz is two second slower in SuperPi...? I got 16sec on 1mb file :p I thought at those speeds PhenomII will be much faster lol

2lxumg2.jpg

I don't think AMD is out to displace the i7 right now. They are aiming at the Core 2 series. If they can manage to place themselves between the Core 2s and i7s then they may be in good shape. We'll have to wait and see.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
[citation][nom]Megamanx00[/nom]I don't think AMD is out to displace the i7 right now. They are aiming at the Core 2 series. If they can manage to place themselves between the Core 2s and i7s then they may be in good shape. We'll have to wait and see.[/citation]

Exactly. The idea for AMD is to become the mainstream while Core i7 is still in its enthusiast stage. It'll be a huge benefit for them if they can outpace Core 2 in the months leading up to i7 becoming mainstream.

the last resort

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2008
LOL my SUPERPI time on my 6000+ stock was 29 seconds. depressing

although it seems that Tom's was doing something different than AMD for overclocking since AMD managed 6+ GHz on 1.9Vcore? Although either way, I'd like a quad and 3 GHz is definitely a plus.

G

SuperPi only uses 1 core and is optimized for Intel CPUs. It's also not the end-all, be-all of benchmarks by a long shot. In most real-life application benchmarks involving number-crunching, AMD has historically been better than Intel clock-for-clock. Mind you, I haven't seen the benches for Shanghai vs. Nehalem.

BTW, my Xeon E3110 @ 3.87 GHz does it in 16 seconds, but the current Phenom X4 9950 BE @ 3.4 GHz kicks its ass in anything multithreaded and certain applications, plus it seems quicker for basic functions in Vista.

LAN_deRf_HA

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Holy mother fucking butt monkeys! There's actually tards out there who think it's a failure because of the superpi score? That's fucking super-tard, get off the enthusiast site noobs. Superpi is strictly an intel extreme overclocking bench, has no bearing on actual performance, it just favors intel's architecture. If that's what you base your cpu purchases on then have fun with your P4. I'm sure you'll be praising it's 1M score as it chokes every card you put in your system.

frankscastle

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2008
I think some people are seeing the big picture. Yes it is too early to say anything about AMD's new chip. Real world numbers will mean more then overclock numbers. But price is going to be the big factor. If they are going to charge $300 bucks for a PhenomII then AMD is just going to hurt itself.

chookman

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
[citation][nom]squatchman[/nom]Well you two are just a couple of negative nancys! This could still be that Q6600 killer that AMD is hoping for![/citation]

Q6600 killer? Intel is set to make the Q6600 EOL 1H 2009... i wanna hope its a helluva lot better than Q6600 a new AMD cpu competing with an EOL cpu from intel yay... NOT

FHDelux

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
Didn't someone years ago get a P4 to almost 7Ghz on LN2? P4s overclocked like crazy, it didn't make them good when compared to the Athlons. Super Pi is just one benchmark, but for the most part you can probably expect the Phenom II to be a Phenom I that runs at modern clock speeds. I dont think theres going to be any 40% performance gains here

G

Ummmm... unless I've missed something here, Core i7 is slower than Penryn which is about the same as Conroe, so in effect, a Q6600 killer is a Core i7 killer. And Intel CPUs have always been faster at SuperPi, even when they were slower in real life against Athlon64s(although that score seems a tad odd). Since 3.5ghz is a typical high-end 24/7 stable overclock of an Intel quad, I think it's safe to say that AMD has caught up and maybe even surpassed Intel.

Status
Not open for further replies.