[SOLVED] wear leveling count low on smart check

Dec 7, 2021
my wear leveling count went really down
how much should i be concerned, how long will it last?
i saw the recommandations to always back up and saw some topics where people said it will still work for some time after would reach 0
for a long time i had under 10 gb free and many times i even got under 100mb space but changed that now, maybe that was an issue?
so, my main concern would be how much will it last my ssd. can;t attach here any pic so would leave the link with my smart test results
https://postimg.cc/w394MRHK
sorry that i post this again, i posted before on another section and found ot it would be more appropriate here

Last edited:
Solution
12k hours, and only 2GB written?

Those 2 numbers don't match for anything in actual use.

i was under 10gb space some time, even under 100 mb sometimes
That cannot be.
Given a 128GB drive, and at times "under 10GB space"...you've written at least 100GB.

This is not a 'red herring', but it may be an indication of a faulty drive.
Something is not quite right.

Maintain good backups, use it until it dies.

TommyTwoTone66

Prominent
BANNED
Apr 24, 2021
It’s a red herring. Your drive is in absolutely perfect condition and has barely been used.

it has high quality Samsung flash, and it will last at least 10 years, probably much longer, providing you don’t spill wine or Coca Cola into the laptop.

Dec 7, 2021
It’s a red herring. Your drive is in absolutely perfect condition and has barely been used.

it has high quality Samsung flash, and it will last at least 10 years, probably much longer, providing you don’t spill wine or Coca Cola into the laptop.
red herring meaning false alarm? as i said, i was under 10gb space some time, even under 100 mb sometimes. i am using bluestacks on it and is uses a lot of space and needed to clear that cache often to gain space and so on

USAFRet

Titan
12k hours, and only 2GB written?

Those 2 numbers don't match for anything in actual use.

i was under 10gb space some time, even under 100 mb sometimes
That cannot be.
Given a 128GB drive, and at times "under 10GB space"...you've written at least 100GB.

This is not a 'red herring', but it may be an indication of a faulty drive.
Something is not quite right.

Maintain good backups, use it until it dies.

Solution
The drive is reporting that it has used up 96% of its wear levelling count. That is, the drive has been wear levelled 1213 times. Assuming that the total capacity of the SSD's NAND flash is 128 GiB, then the total writes to flash would be 155TB. The actual host writes figure would depend on the write amplification.

If we divide 155TB by the raw value of Total Host writes, we get ...

155 TB / 4253486 = 36.4 MB​
If we assume that the actual units for Total Host Writes are reported in increments of 32MB, then ...

Total Host Writes = 4253486 x 32 MB = 136 TB​
One could test this by writing a 1GB file, say, and then recording the before and after values of the Total Host Writes parameter. In fact I think this has already been done in another thread.

In short, the total writes and reads reported by CDI (1GB and 2GB) are wrong.

Last edited:
Dec 7, 2021
The drive is reporting that it has used up 96% of its wear levelling count. That is, the drive has been wear levelled 1213 times. Assuming that the total capacity of the SSD's NAND flash is 128 GiB, then the total writes to flash would be 155TB. The actual host writes figure would depend on the write amplification.

If we divide 155TB by the raw value of Total Host writes, we get ...

155 TB / 4253486 = 36.4 MB​
If we assume that the actual units for Total Host Writes are reported in increments of 32MB, then ...

Total Host Writes = 4253486 x 32 MB = 136 TB​
One could test this by writing a 1GB file, say, and then recording the before and after values of the Total Host Writes parameter. In fact I think this has already been done in another thread.

In short, the total writes and reads reported by CDI (1GB and 2GB) are wrong.
so, it's really going to die soon, right?