Web Browser Grand Prix 5: Opera 11.50, Firefox 5, And Chrome 12

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

somehow it seems that firefox is focussing more on benchmarks rather than actual real world usage.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished
First of all, this is the most thorough WBGP yet.
somehow it seems that firefox is focussing more on benchmarks rather than actual real world usage.
I don't think so - proper page loads and battery life are important considerations.

I agree that Mozilla did not do a right thing in copying Chrome's release cycle, but at least they're trying - for example, they're trying hard in bringing down memory usage by increasing the garbage collection frequency(check this out in the Aurora and Nightly builds).

WBGP is basically a test of speed, and Chrome may have won in that, but Firefox is not far behind. I can wait for two or three seconds for my page to load. You can easily bring down the page load times by using addons like AdBlock Plus.

Even with the faster release cycle, this article clearly states that Firefox is still the most stable browser. Many people say that they've had numerous crashes, but its something wrong with their drivers or OS - I have not had a single crash since FF 4.0 beta 5 (or 7?), when they introduced hardware acceleration for the first time.

Firefox remains the most customizable browser, while Opera has the most number of features out-of-the-box.

So overall, according to me Firefox>=Opera>Chrome>IE 9> Safari.

Tamz_msc

Distinguished

That's easy: FF+AdBlock Plus+ NoScript+Ghostery+BrowserProtect

ChiefTexas_82

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
IE 9 is a speed demon? I droped IE because it started running like ****. I blame loading too many side programs after years on the web. So I wanted to try Chrome or Firefox. Being a Google fan already, I tried Chrome. So far it leaves my old IE8 in the dust. Except for a certain bug, I would say it has been an improvement in almost every way.

wheredahoodat

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
I have personally along others have remained loyal to Firefox for years, but the latest moves have been are puzzling. Despite the benchmarks, they have not addressed bad cold start up problems (test on netbooks not on desktop rigs to find out), and the Firefox 4/5 new javascript engine has been a nightmare memory wise causing many to banish Firefox or remain with version 3.6 on older computers.

Also instead of prioritizing the electrolysis project which would have made Firefox as snappy as Chrome, they are wasting their time on the Azure graphics project to replace a only few months old Cairo engine for marginal benefit because html 5 is still just the future, with no real significant penetration for the web.

Mozilla can only push their base so far with their incompetence. Back then there was no real competition or alternative for a big market share, standard compliance browser. However there is now a real alternative with Chrome, and Firefox's gradual but definite market share hemorrhaging has shown that incompetence has consequences.

akorzan

Distinguished
Sep 27, 2009
On the last page in the table and row "proper page loads," why is Opera in twice and no Safari?
Surely, this is a typo.

andy5174

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
No doubt that Chrome is notably faster than Firefox so that I can feel the difference easily. However, Chrome lacks many useful features/add-ons offered by Firefox that I've been using for years. This is the main and only reason that Firefox is still my default browser.

obarthelemy

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I'm still uncomfortable with those kind of tests. Especially because they don't take into account out-of-the-box features and creature comforts. I have all 4 installed (no Safari), and I find use Opera most, because it does very good Mouse Gestures, tab management, and synch. Without any addons ! I find Addons a very mixed blessing: I had plenty of headaches with FFox's, what with compatibility issues when upgrading FFox, bug and slow/ban/non-existent support... I find that having all required functionnality included in the base browser is a big plus, more-so for non-techies.

G

How can you place Firefox in Memory Usage as strong. This thing is leaking all over the place. Should you review your methodology?
PS I m an early adopter of FF since 2.0 but I consider switching due to this memory issue.

johnsmithhatesVLC

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Firefox is the only browser that can block all ads properly. It's also the most reliable at page loading as the WGP has proven. I really don't care about millisecond differences in page loads. Firefox is the best to me.

lucas1024

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010
Thanks for including the reliability test! I had almost convinced myself to switch to Chrome from FF5, because of the memory usage, but not anymore - I do like my pages to load every time and I routinely have 30-40 tabs open.

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]cadder[/nom]Will you guys please investigate the SECURITY of each browser? I would use the one that is most secure even if it is slowest.[/citation]
Would love to, but that is difficult to do. No security benchmarks exist. If one was created, I'm sure all the vendors would make their product pass. The idea of adding pwn2own data was floated, but the versions wouldn't match the rest of the WBGP - except once a year.

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]akorzan[/nom]On the last page in the table and row "proper page loads," why is Opera in twice and no Safari?Surely, this is a typo.[/citation]
Thanks, fixed it.
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]page 3 :64-bit Desktop Test SystemOperating SystemMicrosoft Windows 7 Ultimate (32-bit)[/citation]
Sorry, that's a typo. Fixed.

G

On memory usage, Opera has a Tab recycle bin, after closing a tab, it is held in memory, so you may open closed tabs from the recycle bin, it is a Feature well used amongst Opera Fans, but if you had clicked empty Tabs Recycle bins the memory usage after closing 40 tabs and second 5 min wait would have been very very different!

Overall, Opera gives the very best Stable browsing experience along with FireFox, the rest are simply buggy as hell!

sirmaster

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2011
[citation][nom]johnsmithhatesVLC[/nom]Firefox is the only browser that can block all ads properly. It's also the most reliable at page loading as the WGP has proven. I really don't care about millisecond differences in page loads. Firefox is the best to me.[/citation]

Chrome's adblock works just the same. Not sure what you mean by properly then. Both prevent the ads from being downloaded and shown.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb

Status
Not open for further replies.