Web Browser Grand Prix VIII: Chrome 16, Firefox 9, And Mac OS X

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Isn't "Kraken v1.1" and "Google Kraken v1.1 Mod" the same now with bug 599914 fixed?
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=599914
http://blog.chromium.org/2011/05/updating-javascript-benchmarks-for.html

SunSpider is pretty irrelevant these days, but the V8 Benchmark would be interesting to include again (at least under "Observation", just to see the improvements in new versions).

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]hardcore_gamer[/nom]The only one thing I hate about firefox is that it takes a lot of time to launch.[/citation]

Must be your computer, my Firefox installs (one Vista one Win 7) launch in less than a second.

One thing people may not be aware of - if you updated Firefox from an older version you must clear out your cookies, cache, and history, otherwise you may have hiccups. Learned this the "hard way".

;)

@lamorpa: because, the virus is is a very good program. the firefox programmers keep targeting it because it has a large userbase. but the virus has a mature addon collection and proper security, so usually any firefox problem with the virus gets addressed by the virus developers. the biggest weakness is usually the user - they give virus firefox.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
with IE9 being given as both 32 and 64 bit, perhaps the tests should include both these versions.
many of toms members use 64 bit windows, which will install IE9 64 bit by default.

Marcus52

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
[citation][nom]adamovera[/nom]Yes, we're using everything stock. There is no one-size-fits-all combination of plug-ins to standardize on, and every browser might not have the exact same plugins available. So that throws out a fair comparison between browsers - wouldn't work for the WBGP. Perhaps an article concentrating specifically on Firefox (or another Web browser) with and without various plug-ins would clear that up?[/citation]

Yah I think the comparison with addons would be enlightening since many people, such as myself, use Firefox because of the addons available (NoScript in particular for me. I also use BetterPrivacy to remove Flash "supercookies", not sure if that's available for other browsers or not).

Really, the best way to compare browsers (or anything) is by how they are used, so I don't really see that using the addons would make the comparisons unfair. That's a matter of opinion though. I know it would greatly increase the workload on the editors, but I think that using the most common addons on all the browsers as well as testing them in their "stock" version would be interesting and valuable.

;)

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
interesting how safari wins in win7 flash and ie is just acceptable in silverlight. FF9 improved considerably giving chrome a good fight.

lamorpa

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
[citation][nom]cookoy[/nom]interesting how safari wins in win7 flash and ie is just acceptable in silverlight. FF9 improved considerably giving chrome a good fight.[/citation]
Interesting. I saw an article about this... 9 inches above this comment.

BNOVA

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
Good to see my teo favourite browsers come out on top. I will have to upgrade to Firefox 9 as I did not really like the upgrade from 7 to 8.

Thanks for the review!
It really amazes me that when IE9 came out it blew everything out of the water, but then (due to their slow release cycle) they have stagnated, and tests that they use to win at they are not getting half the score of FF and Chrome. IE is still a requirement for many 'professional' websites, and has some of the best hardware acceleration available, but outside of those two areas it is all about FF and Chrome. IE10 launches later this year... will be interesting to see how that plays out!

G

Been using Firefox as my main browser since V 1.5 and it never let me down :D

stryk55

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2009
Hmm, this article really makes me seriously consider downloading a new browser - Netscape Navigator just isn't cutting it anymore, and it wasn't even in the comparison! WTF, Toms?

acrodelpi

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2011
The only one I haven't tried is Safari.

Opera is good but I feel it is too stiff when I renders web pages. Look I know you guys are very strict on standards but I wanna look at my internet the right way, not the right way.

Chrome is fast and lightweight. Love it. Except I hate that it doesn't have addons. Besides, who is Google anyway? Bunch of amateurs maybe.

IE. LOL. Next.

Firefox is where the main game is.

@mayankleoboy1: Vista 64 and Win7 64 install both 32- and 64-bit versions of IE. In IE9's case though, the JIT compiler is disabled in 64-bit, making it MUCH SLOWER than the 32-bit version.

On the other hand, other browsers do have non-nerfed 64-bit versions. In Firefox' case, the Windows 64-bit port is still not official, because the Microsoft 64-bit build tools are quirky and don't work well with Mozilla's code. On other systems where 64-bit compilers are more mature (read: UNIX-like systems using GNU gcc, meaning Linux, BSD, OS X...), 64-bit versions of Firefox do exist and run as fast, if not faster, than the 32-bit version.

doive1231

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2007
Try telling anyone who's gotten a virus whilst using IE that it's any good and I tired quickly of Firefox asking my permission to install some new extension or something so there's a reason why Chrome's popularity is increasing despite these results.

mobrocket

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2011
i like firefox because mozilla is an infant compared to the likes of MSFT, GOOG, APPLE, but makes teh best browser of them all

Google should have just bought mozilla or at least FF

G

I'm curious, how are you measuring memory usage on Mac? It's very easy to get misleading numbers there, and the disparity between the Windows and Mac numbers makes me think it's not the right thing.
(In general, when you're measuring memory usage you really should explain your exact methodology.)

pharoahhalfdead

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
I'm curious if the hardware acceleration results would be different using a discreet video card compared to Intels solution? I think even a low end solution might bring better results.

I've noticed in my own browsing that I've experienced a lot of lag since my AMD card crapped out on me. I'm relying on my GTX 460 until I get my Rma, but so many web pages load slower.

Could there be a reason why?

[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Firefox wins, yet Chrome is #1 in usage.Just like VHS vs Beta, [strike]NTSC vs PAL[/strike] or Gasoline vs Electric... just because the public likes something does not mean it is the best solution.[/citation]
Pal and NTSC are regional standards, You generally have little choice.

LaloFG

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2007
I think Opera still is the best browser, it has almost all necesary without addons, its beautiful and in test where if fall last, the diference is marginally.
Chrome, too minimalist, don't have the features needed to browse the internet.
Firefox, barely win some test; and people saying that toms must installs addons? please man. Without plugings, firefox feels like internet explorer (too rustic), and with them, feels like... internet explorer (low speed).
Safari and Internet Explorer? who cares, they are for fools.

G

i updated to FF9 and it screwed up my Apple, MacBook Pro. I have tried to unistall it and go back to FF8, which it still didnt make my computer go back to the way it was. i even installed Safai, which is primarily for Mac, and that didnt bring my computer to where it was before, same thing happened when i installed google Chrome. Needless to say, i am now using my Dell Windows Vista lap tap and using whatever version of IE that came with it, and all works fine. i started years ago with PC, but spent the last few years with Mac, so now it will take me a few weeks to get back to the PC vibe. In the past, i had Windows ME on my desk top, it came with it. all was fine until it did an update, then the computer was screwed, learned then to NEVER activate any automatic update feature on any computer. Windows XP desk top lasted about 4 years before the hard drive started to die, but that was the longer so far, any desk top/lap top has lasted for me. So, where do I sell my old Desk tops; ME and XP, and MacBookPro Lap top...lol, my home is starting to look like a junk yard for computers. If the IE on my laptop eventually peters out, ill look into to newbies, but it seems Firefox updates all the time, though it was fine prior to FF9. Good luck to you all.

@LaloFG: you're not helping Opera, since Firefox wasn't praised for "barely winning some tests" as you say, but for almost never loosing and almost always being at least decent - Opera is a nice browser, but this Grand Prix shows what I've always felt about it: Opera isn't very well-rounded. It has definite strengths, but also many glaring weaknesses - personally, that's why I only use it sparingly.

Adding stuff to Firefox would defeat the aim of such an article - that of being a fair comparison on what currently makes a good browser. And, right now, Firefox embodies a good all-around browser - fast, reliable, with good support for most Web technologies. The fact that it can be expanded and configured to match the whims of its user is its best selling point, and that it's Free Software backed by a foundation that relies on principles more than on their bottom line is also quite reassuring - as long as we have Firefox, we'll have a free Web.

Something like that can't be said about Opera, which added support for many non-standard features found in IE5-6, or Chrome which depends on a search engine maker that will gladly take your private data... Of course, the worst offenders are IE and Safari, because Google at least has the decency of actively maintaining the Chromium (FOSS version of Chrome) project, and the Opera staff always vocally defended open specifications and championed them.

Now, YMMV: Chrome is indeed minimalist - but not much more than IE9, and it is actually good enough to be used as a main browser if all you do is hit Google for all your Internet needs - and that does cover a lot of them. It is also reasonably fast and stable.

Opera has more features than Chrome or "vanilla" Firefox, it is also quite stable and faster than previous generation browsers. However, its interface can be rather confusing (it doesn't match with other browsers, although this has gotten less true recently), it is hard to configure to suit your needs (settings are obscure and not numerous) and it cannot be expanded. In short, it fails as a basic browser (Chrome is better at that) and it fails as an advanced browser (Firefox with addons wins there).

I'll give you a simple example: I build websites. For that, I need a debugger console and preferably a DOM tree that allows me to edit a page element's properties. In Chrome, I only need to press F12. In Firefox, I can install a couple of addons in under a minute, that almost transform the browser into an IDE. Even in IE9, I merely need to press F12 to get advanced tools. In Opera, I need to enable debugging, then download obscure extra components and install them to get what I get in other browsers.

If for example, I don't want to use Opera to track my .torrent files (it's too basic), it's a pain to disable the torrent tracker and then pass the torrent to an external app - in short, Opera is the Apple of Web browsers: it's nice, it looks good, it works well, but if you want to do things that weren't planned by the developers, you lose.

Finally, I'll add that Firefox is the browser that pisses me off the least in multiplatform support - it runs almost the same on Windows or Linux, nevermind the actual hardware - I get the same reaction on Windows7, Linux 32-bit on an underpowered netbook, or a quad-core Linux 64-bit desktop. Opera is flaky on Linux, and Chrome differs too much from Chromium to be interesting (Chrome on Linux is a pain to maintain, so I don't use it).

QEFX

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2007
Well I still prefer Opera with Firefox as a back-up. That said it is so nice that you really can't go wrong picking any of these.

Status
Not open for further replies.