Web Browser Grand Prix VIII: Chrome 16, Firefox 9, And Mac OS X

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]dooderoo[/nom]Also, current Safari 5.1.2 scores 302+8 at html5test.com, 317+8 with WebGL enabled, not 293+8. Nightly is at 367+8.[/citation]
The HTML5Test.com benchmark has updated since we tested for this article (there are now 475 tests instead of 450).

dooderoo

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
[citation][nom]adamovera[/nom]The HTML5Test.com benchmark has updated since we tested for this article (there are now 475 tests instead of 450).[/citation]

Ah, ok. Thanks for the info!

joemama069

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2011
I love opera, went from firefox to opera and wont go back, while i do respect and like the firefox browser opera just seems more stable to me

internetlad

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
"The short answer is that we don't have a ton of Macs in our PC-centric labs."

Gruener probably has several in the trunk of his car alone. That guy is pretty much in love with apple.

G

are there any performance differences when the hardware browsers are tested on is more powerful? Or in other words, would anything change if you were testing this with a 2500k for example?
It is one of the things I would like to see, as many of us readers surely pack better hardware than the test platform for this. :)

mariusmotea

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2008
A see Firefox banners in this review. This is not fair competition, firefox sponsoring this review. On windows Opera is far the best browser

spotify95

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Correct me if I am wrong, however, how can the web browser that had the LEAST AMOUNT of wins in Windows be crowned the WINDOWS CHAMPION??!! I thought the Web Browser Grand Prix tested the browsers, and BASED ON THE RESULTS, crowned a champion!
The Web Browser Grand Prix has been seriously rigged once the raw placing tables were dropped - it should be the raw placing that determines the order of what browser wins and what browser loses!!!
Unless this is sorted out, I am DELETING the Tom`s Hardware site from my Favourites, and UNSUBSCRIBING from your newsletters etc!!!!

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]krixter[/nom]are there any performance differences when the hardware browsers are tested on is more powerful? Or in other words, would anything change if you were testing this with a 2500k for example?It is one of the things I would like to see, as many of us readers surely pack better hardware than the test platform for this.[/citation]
This is a mid-late 2011 Core i7 (Sandy Bridge) MacBook Air, other than the garbage Intel graphics it's pretty smokin' for a laptop.

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]All I learned from this is how to collect a bunch of meaningless benchmarks, run the results, then decide that even though Firefox didn't win the most of them, it won anyway. Please you wanted FF to win so it won. Thats all there was to this whole piece.[/citation]
[citation][nom]spotify95[/nom]Correct me if I am wrong, however, how can the web browser that had the LEAST AMOUNT of wins in Windows be crowned the WINDOWS CHAMPION??!! I thought the Web Browser Grand Prix tested the browsers, and BASED ON THE RESULTS, crowned a champion!The Web Browser Grand Prix has been seriously rigged once the raw placing tables were dropped - it should be the raw placing that determines the order of what browser wins and what browser loses!!!Unless this is sorted out, I am DELETING the Tom`s Hardware site from my Favourites, and UNSUBSCRIBING from your newsletters etc!!!![/citation]
First off, let me apologize for the confusion. I've explained this a bunch of times (sometimes in the articles, sometimes in comments, and sometimes in reader emails). After nine articles and two years, I forget that everyone else hasn't been around since day one.
There was an overwhelming amount negative feedback regarding the original scoring method, which was based solely on raw placing. Straightforward, right? Well, the first problem was in the weight given to each test. For instance, if I ran 5 JavaScript tests and only 1 CSS test, that gives unfair weight to the browser strong in JavaScript. I couldn't argue with that logic, but the following scenario put forth by a reader drives the point home: reversing the number of tests to 5 CSS and 1 JavaScript would swing the result in the complete opposite direction, just by changing the porportion of tests.
The point of running redundant tests is to make sure they are all still valid (to benchmark the benchmarks), not to skew the results in favor of any single area of testing, or in favor of any browser which excels in a test-heavy category. The analysis tables were created to give equal weight to each category of testing. This allows us to run any number of tests in each category, as well as remove bad tests, without having to worry about balancing the makeup of the overall suite.
The second problem with raw placing was in scale of victory. The strong column was added to take into account all of the times where the winner beat the second place finisher by an insignificant margin - say 60.1 FPS to 59.9 FPS (this happens often). When looking at raw placing alone, a champion could come in first on the most tests, but also be the loser more than a close second place finisher with no loses. In this scenario, that second place finisher is legitimately the overall better choice. The strong column makes this recurring scenario clearer.
Later on, the acceptable column was added to further represent scale. It provides a place for browsers who aren't close enough to the winner to be considered strong [in comparison], but also aren't weak performers. For instance, consider these scores: 60.1 FPS, 59.9 FPS, 35 FPS, 32 FPS, and 20 FPS. Obviously 60.1 is the winner, but 59.9 practically ties it (strong), 35 and 32 are totally playable framerates (acceptable), and 20 is weak (in two ways: both in adequate frame rate, and in contrast to the other contenders).
The current scoring method essentially comes down to winner/strong versus weak, with acceptable providing a place for simply average performances. All of these changes happened over time, and now that the raw placing tables are entirely gone, the winner column is basically vestigial. While Firefox won WBGP7 by the slimmest of margins (ever in the series), the WBGP8 Windows championship is not at all that close - Firefox definitely wins.
If the WBGP was about finding out which browser wins the highest number of benchmarks in existence, raw placing would still be fine. But that is not an accurate picture, and not good for much more than unfounded fanboi bragging rights. Also, considering that in many cases the browser vendors are the test curators, that position is extremely easy to game - if you include every benchmark that exists, the IETestDrive site alone would ensure that IE stays king forever.
If you still feel this way, and have a solid argument for returning to the raw placing tables (even now knowing the reasons behind the switch) please let me know.
-Adam

adamovera

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2008
[citation][nom]mariusmotea[/nom]A see Firefox banners in this review. This is not fair competition, firefox sponsoring this review. On windows Opera is far the best browser[/citation]
I haven't seen any Firefox ads. If it was in the group of ads provided by Google, than I believe that's based on the SEO of the article and your browsing history, not direct ad sales between Tom's and advertisers. BTW, I can't recall ever seeing a Firefox ad, anywhere.

G

I wonder if there are more Linux users than Mac's OsX worldwide. If so, Linux browsers should also be included. I remember being very impressed with Firefox's speed on an older 64-bit version of Ubuntu - clearly smoked the Windows version.

G

I use FF because it is FOSS Free Open Source Software. I appreciate its overall compatibility supremacy. It has less compatibility issues than any other browser out there. It is a pleasure to develop web apps that comply with standards and it is a nuisance to advise people to use a good browser whereas they all should comply with standards we develop apps for. And the only good browser seems to be the Mozilla Firefox. The greatest disappointment is Opera and the fact that it is No 2 in my country.

calc-yolatuh

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Correct me if I'm wrong but Opera is not open source yet has excellent support for open standards. Firefox is open source but is still only on par with Opera for open standards. Last I checked nearly all browsers are free.... Seamonkey has more of the features that Firefox lacks, but shows up as a piss-take when compared to how tightly Opera is coded.

For that very unreasonable person a few pages back, I would submit that opera:config superiority to about:config instantly supersedes any argument about advanced configuration. Disabling integrated torrents is a checkbox, loading Dragonfly is Ctrl-Shift-I. You can set a local directory for Dragonfly with a one-time change to opera:config, if you're designing a site inside a closed network. You can undock Dragonfly into a second window. You can create a second tab that follows any link clicked in the first tab. Even when you ALLOW a site to display pop-ups, they appear inside the current window and can't block access to the tab bar. Most people don't need all of the baked in features but I use nearly half of them.

chrismuir

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2012
I think that your Safari numbers might be off. Are you taking into account the amount of RAM used by "WebProcess?" WebProcess seems to be the place where Safari hides its RAM hogging.

G

I would argue that speed is a meaningless statistic for a web browser
Conformity with standards-Chrome wins here
and reliability(opening the largest number of web pages) Chrome and Firefox win here
are the most important factors
That is why i prefer Chrome-the only browser which can pass the Futuremark Peacekeeper test

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Chrome is clearly the winner in terms of functionality and compatibility with all the bizarre "Standards" that aren't really "Standards" out there.

It's memory footprint is of little significance ... except that usually the more memory used the faster the pages will display as more is cached.

Also, it's VERY difficult to determine IE's true memory usage as much of what it loads is dynamic and part of the OS, where as all the other browsers have to be installed as "stand alone" applications. So I'd take those IE memory footprint numbers with a HUGE grain of salt.

But either way IE is a dog, slow, weak on security, and rarely works perfectly on most web pages it attempts to display. I never got IE to work correctly with Tom's hardware, yet when I ran Chrome it loaded up Tom's perfectly.

G

Firefox has for some time SEEMED to be the superior browser, however Chrome for most, is a better experience....likewise while Windows wins the browser performance, as a daily user of both OSX and Windows, the OSX is my go-to machine for overall experience..and its not even close.

G

You guys should do a Web Browser Grand Prix for mobile OS. I want to know the best web browser for Android!

phochai

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
Opera is the only browser that will share my bookmarks and passwords on my Android phone, XP desktop, Vista 64 desktop and Win7 laptop, no other browser including Chrome comes close.
Doing a smartphone comparison would be interesting!

Agreed about the slowness, but page displays? Toms? What does it show wrong?

I do not use IE but just checked and tomshardware.com seems to display ok.

http://img577.imageshack.us/img577/3415/tomsinie.png

G

Another exception worth mentioning is Opera's turbo mode. In extremely low-bandwidth networks, compressing traffic about 75% makes it far faster. Even using it on OS X!

retrobeast

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2009
I am still anti anything Mac so Safari is out. Chrome is Google and the G in Google stands for Government driven (rumor or not).
Opera does a great job for me with availability to see incoming email from my multiple email address, it is also very fast.
What I hate about all browsers is not the browsers themselves but the constant crashing when using and Adobe Flash website such as LiveStream.

G

Awesome stuff! Though I'm surprised Safari wins, it's so sluggish and kills OS X. Oh well. On the better performance, I've actually witnessed some pretty crazy (fast) boot-up times and good performance on some friends hackintoshes vs my macbook pro. We concluded that less kext files might help boot-up. Would be awesome to look into it more...

Status
Not open for further replies.