webcam capture

Niklas

Distinguished
May 25, 2004

Hello everyone. I hope someone here can help me out. I' looking for a webcam
capture program that can be controlled from another computer, that is I need
to run a webcam on one computer in a LAN and take pics (capture) sending a
signal from another computer in the LAN. Anyone knows about a solution?
Please answer no matter how insignificant you think your answer may be. I
have found a program called Dorgem, but it can't be operated from another
computer unless you know how to rewrite the program, and I don't. :)

Niklas

--

Simon

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2001

<niklas@softsia.it> wrote in message
> Hello everyone. I hope someone here can help me out. I' looking for a
webcam
> capture program that can be controlled from another computer, that is I
need
> to run a webcam on one computer in a LAN and take pics (capture) sending a
> signal from another computer in the LAN. Anyone knows about a solution?
> Please answer no matter how insignificant you think your answer may be. I
> have found a program called Dorgem, but it can't be operated from another
> computer unless you know how to rewrite the program, and I don't. :)
>
> Niklas

You could try something like VNC http://www.realvnc.com/ which *may* allow
you to remotely control and view a webcam on another computer.
The obvious hardware solution is to buy a network camera such as the Axis
205, but they are more expensive than webcams.

Simon

Niklas

Distinguished
May 25, 2004

Thank you Simon, That could have been a solution if it weren't for the fact
that there will be no one interacting from the other computer. What I intend
to do is having a program sending the signal if a certain condition is true.

Anyhow, thank you. :) /Niklas

niklas@softsia.it wrote:

> Thank you Simon, That could have been a solution if it weren't for the fact
> that there will be no one interacting from the other computer. What I intend
> to do is having a program sending the signal if a certain condition is true.
>
> Anyhow, thank you. :) /Niklas
>

> "Simon" <simon@antispam.aardvarks> wrote in message
>

>>You could try something like VNC http://www.realvnc.com/ which *may* allow
>>you to remotely control and view a webcam on another computer.
>>The obvious hardware solution is to buy a network camera such as the Axis
>>205, but they are more expensive than webcams.
>>
>>Simon

Could you explain a bit more what the actual use would be? That might
help us work out what would be a good program for you to use?

--

Velvet

Niklas

Distinguished
May 25, 2004

Sure Velvet, I'm trying to take photos of fish to be sold in auction on
line.

The auctioner starts a program that is used for administrating the
traditional auction, the fish that hasn't been sold, is supposed to be sold
on line with a accompanying photo of the box of fish.

I will be sending a signal to the webcam capture program to take the photo
and save the file in a specified folder with a progressive number as file
name. (1.jpg, 2.jpg etc)

So what I need is a program I can communicate with through a distance
(another program) and save the files as mentioned above.

1. Auction Computer with a program running the auction
sends a signal to wecam capture program to take the photo.
Windows 98.

2. File saved with progressive number.jpg on another computer in the LAN

It's all very "easy" but I can't find anything that suits my my needs.
/Niklas

"Velvet" <velvet@not.a.valid.domain> wrote in message
> Could you explain a bit more what the actual use would be? That might
> help us work out what would be a good program for you to use?
> Velvet

Our Software CaptureMAX offers a remote telnet server as part of the
package. It also will save the files in the manner which you mentioned.

http://www.capturemax.com

<niklas@softsia.it> wrote in message
> Hello everyone. I hope someone here can help me out. I' looking for a
webcam
> capture program that can be controlled from another computer, that is I
need
> to run a webcam on one computer in a LAN and take pics (capture) sending a
> signal from another computer in the LAN. Anyone knows about a solution?
> Please answer no matter how insignificant you think your answer may be. I
> have found a program called Dorgem, but it can't be operated from another
> computer unless you know how to rewrite the program, and I don't. :)
>
> Niklas
>
> --

Niklas

Distinguished
May 25, 2004

The closest bet so far. Thanks alot. /Niklas