Question Web-pages often keep crashing ?

moehamm

Reputable
Jul 5, 2019
Dell Precision 5510
32GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM
512GB NvME.2
intel i7-6820HQ
nvidia quadro dGPU, and an Intel iGPU
Windows 10 pro latest update

Some webpages keep crashing, or takes too long to respond! some google search, says RAM not enough, I have 32GB of RAM which is way more than enough, there was a setting were the windows compresses RAM, I turned it off, nothing changed, tried ThrottleStop to stop CPU throttling, issues persist!
Anyways, in general the leptop doesn't feel very snappy or extremely responsive! like when opening/closing an app, opening a webpage, these utter basic things there's a bit to wait (is this its whole power or shouldn't I expect more of it???)
scanned all the drivers, nothing missing!
Nothing in the background, no games, no steam in the background (which shouldn't be a problem!) to say it might be the cause, I only use it for web surfing and PDFs.

moehamm

Reputable
Jul 5, 2019
check the cpu/gpu temp?

using vpn?

malware scan the system?
CPU temp with ThrottleStop reaches 96 degrees, I think it is due to throttleStop itself as I tampered with some settings like speedstep and EEP (voltage is locked), didn't know how to track gpu temps
Not using a VPN,
windows defender hasn't found anything suspicous! and I didn't download anything unofficial in the past couple of months
should I use another anti-virus? malwarebytes? to check on these CPU temps

moehamm

Reputable
Jul 5, 2019
what the exact crash message on the browser?
5-10mbps? contact your isp?
the page is not responding, wait for it to respond or close/exit.. These hungups are also seen in SumatraPDF viewer (lightest weight opensource pdf viewer) where I try to view my books and scrolling through the pages, it isn't smooth sailing at all.

moehamm

Reputable
Jul 5, 2019
is the ssd only have 1 partition?
are you sure windows see all the ram?
ran memory test

test sumatrapdf in safe model ?
2 partitions, in task manager it says 32GBs, isn't this an indicator of seeing the ram?
Didn't test it on safe mode, ran it, same pdf on my works desk computer which is dual core 8th gen and has 8gb of one lane ram waaaay faster and more responsive than my laptop, not only on the pdf viewer but on everything else

2 partitions, in task manager it says 32GBs, isn't this an indicator of seeing the ram?
Didn't test it on safe mode, ran it, same pdf on my works desk computer which is dual core 8th gen and has 8gb of one lane ram waaaay faster and more responsive than my laptop, not only on the pdf viewer but on everything else
Humor me and open CMD as an Admin. Copy and paste: "sfc /scannow" and hit enter. Does that find corruption? RAM can cause windows corruption if its bad.

Last edited:

moehamm

Reputable
Jul 5, 2019
Corruption can occur regularly with windows updates but can also be indicative bad memory. A memtest may be in order though this is only a small clue.
Should I consider installing faster RAM? can my laptop have faster RAM? these 2 sticks are on 2133MHz, should I look for more?
just looked it up the i7-6820hq can't handle more than 2133MHz

Dell precision 5510, 32GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM, 512GB NvME.2, intel i7-6820HQ and nvidia quadro dGPU, and an Intel iGPU. Windows 10 pro latest update

Some webpages keep crashing, or takes too long to resond! some google search, says RAM not enough, I have 32GB of RAM which is way more than enough, there was a setting were the windows compresses RAM, I turned it off, nothing changed, tried ThrottleStop to stop CPU throttling, issues persist!
Anyways, in general the leptop doesn't feel very snappy or extremely responsive! like when opening/closing an app, opening a webpage, these utter basic things there's a bit to wait (is this its whole power or shouldn't I expect more of it???)
scanned all the drivers, nothing missing!
Nothing in the background, no games, no steam in the background (which shouldn't be a problem!) to say it might be the cause, I only use it for web surfing and PDFs.
You might want to go here and run the scanner just to see what it shows.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/en-us/product-support/product/precision-m5510-workstation/drivers

CPU temp with ThrottleStop reaches 96 degrees
Your CPU is overheating and thermal throttling. That kills performance. A different SSD or some new memory is not going to fix an overheating problem.

Disassemble your laptop and clean it out. Replace the thermal paste if you need to. Have you ever done any basic maintenance like this?

Dell laptops from this era have some horrible throttling issues. Post some screenshots of ThrottleStop while your CPU is throttling if you do not know how to use ThrottleStop.

Reactions: helper800

moehamm

Reputable
Jul 5, 2019
Your CPU is overheating and thermal throttling. That kills performance. A different SSD or some new memory is not going to fix an overheating problem.

Disassemble your laptop and clean it out. Replace the thermal paste if you need to. Have you ever done any basic maintenance like this?

Dell laptops from this era have some horrible throttling issues. Post some screenshots of ThrottleStop while your CPU is throttling if you do not know how to use ThrottleStop.
Last year I sent it to a local technician, cleaned it from the ground up, thermal pads were melted, the tecnician applied a new thermal paste on the CPU and GPU, but still these throttling issues occur regularly, even after applying it!

TS settings, FIVR is locked (dell disabled undervolting, tried unlocking it the method worked but temporarly (until a restart) so I started tampering with TPL)
View: https://imgur.com/a/CnOrwTa

Last edited: