[SOLVED] Website security

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 22, 2020
Hello!

I am creating my first websites in WordPress. They are going to be local business pages. I estimate about 200 visitors per month and do not know up to which extent I should worry about security.

Please, any suggestions?

Solution
I hosted and managed content for a primary school using WordPress, hosted by TSO Host. The website has been online for 7 years up to this time last year when it was hacked into and injected with lots of malwares, Trojan virus, etc. rendering the website offline. It was probably my fault because I failed to update WP add ons, and WP security updates on time -- something in which you have to do from time to time frequently, whenever it (they) become available. Also, be mindful which plugins you install and there are bots and/or crawlers out there targeting WP plugins and exploiting their security holes.

It was too late for me because our hosting provider could not provide backup of the site of when it was in its last 'clean' state. We...
May 22, 2020
Thanks for reply.

No shopping cart. Small companies like moving companies, plumbers etc. I came accross some special security plugins for WP but do not want unnecessarily slow down the loading speed. Also I read about DDOS but I guess it is something I do not need to worry about. SSL I already have.

May 22, 2020
I am located in Europe, thus it is no name local hosting (wedos.cz). But I want to migrate to a different one because they charge money for Let´s Encrypt. So I will go probably with siteground.com.

dat789

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2013
I hosted and managed content for a primary school using WordPress, hosted by TSO Host. The website has been online for 7 years up to this time last year when it was hacked into and injected with lots of malwares, Trojan virus, etc. rendering the website offline. It was probably my fault because I failed to update WP add ons, and WP security updates on time -- something in which you have to do from time to time frequently, whenever it (they) become available. Also, be mindful which plugins you install and there are bots and/or crawlers out there targeting WP plugins and exploiting their security holes.

It was too late for me because our hosting provider could not provide backup of the site of when it was in its last 'clean' state. We lost 9 months of hosting fees, and ended up with a website that can no longer be used.

I cannot say much about others -- but I'd encourage you to look elsewhere and consider other platforms like SquareSpace, Wix, etc. Whatever you do, remember to keep security in mind.

Solution
May 22, 2020
Hi @dat789 ,

thank you for sharing your experience. Appreciate that.

I just wonder if you would back up site manually with plugin, would you be able to restore it? Or is it on top of that possible to save data manually to your PC?

Also I tried to figure out wheather to put let´s say 10 domains on one host. The worse case would be I would have to restore the data, isn´t it? There are many opinions about that. Some says 1 host 1 domain, some say 150 domains 1 host. I will choose moderate approach.

Hi @dat789 ,

thank you for sharing your experience. Appreciate that.

I just wonder if you would back up site manually with plugin, would you be able to restore it? Or is it on top of that possible to save data manually to your PC?

Also I tried to figure out wheather to put let´s say 10 domains on one host. The worse case would be I would have to restore the data, isn´t it? There are many opinions about that. Some says 1 host 1 domain, some say 150 domains 1 host. I will choose moderate approach.

Depending on the hosting plan you will get this will define if you can host more than 1 website or if you can only host 1 website with subdomain.

Status
Not open for further replies.