Question Weird Cooler Master ML240 AIO Pump Noise?

k@rt

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2012
This weird sort of clicking noise has start coming from my (I think) AIO pump.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cnAMqmNU6iA

Is it definitely the pump? It can't be anything else, right?
Is it a sign the pump is dying/dead? (temps are maybe a bit high but nothing dreadful)
Can this be fixed at all?

The AIO is about 4-5 years old now so maybe getting to the end of it's life.

Solution
That's absolutely impeller noise. Most likely bearing or magnet has failed and now the impeller blades are contacting the sides of the housing. I mean, maybe not, but I'd put some money on that being the case if there is nothing else you can absolutely point to and say "this is hitting this".
That's absolutely impeller noise. Most likely bearing or magnet has failed and now the impeller blades are contacting the sides of the housing. I mean, maybe not, but I'd put some money on that being the case if there is nothing else you can absolutely point to and say "this is hitting this".

Reactions: Paperdoc and k@rt
Solution

k@rt

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2012

Okay, thank you very much for the the reply! You sound very confident in your diagnosis so I'll trust your opinion. I guess that means I should probably be looking at simply replacing this AIO with a new one?

It still seems to be cooling okay for the moment, but the noise is irritating and I assume that the blade contact is just going to result in more and more damage with time.

I don't know if repair is possible, but on a 5 year old unit it really doesn't seem worth it to me, is it?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Sounds like a good diagnosis to me. No, there is no way to repair or replace a small part of an AIO system. AIO means "All-In-One", and the entire system is supplied completely filled and sealed. There is no reliable way to remove and replace the PUMP unit and re-connect that new one to the rest of the system. Replacement of the whole system is the right way.

Reactions: k@rt

k@rt

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2012
Sounds like a good diagnosis to me. No, there is no way to repair or replace a small part of an AIO system. AIO means "All-In-One", and the entire system is supplied completely filled and sealed. There is no reliable way to remove and replace the PUMP unit and re-connect that new one to the rest of the system. Replacement of the whole system is the right way.

Thanks! I have already started to look at possible replacement systems, I'm hedging towards an Arctic Liquid ii or iii b/c they seem to be recommended and are comparatively quite a lot less expensive than equivalent options. Honestly it's a bit confusing as the price can vary massively and the difference is not always totally apparent.

Thanks again for the advice!