Question Weird display port connection issue

Jun 14, 2022
When booting my monitor (ASUS VG248QE) displays a "Display Port No Signal" and goes into standby.

What I tried to fix this issue:
  1. Unplug and replug the DP cable from the monitor
  2. Unplug and replug the DP cable from the GPU (Gigabyte Geforce RTX 3080)
  3. Unplug on both ends and reboot and replug while the system is running
  4. Plug DP cable into a different GPU display port
  5. Use a different DP cable that I know works on another machine
None of these steps have had any effect. However, when I connected the monitor with an HDMI cable it worked fine.

Now comes the weird part:
When I plugged in another monitor model (Acer Nitro XF272U) with my own DP cable into the same GPU display port I used with my own monitor it worked again. After that I proceeded to plug the cable into my own monitor, which did not work before, and it worked as well as if nothing had happened. Today was the second time this has happened, the first time was 2 weeks prior, and the steps I took to "fix" the issue were performed in exactly the same manner each time.

What is going on here?

When booting my monitor (ASUS VG248QE) displays a "Display Port No Signal" and goes into standby.

What I tried to fix this issue:
  1. Unplug and replug the DP cable from the monitor
  2. Unplug and replug the DP cable from the GPU (Gigabyte Geforce RTX 3080)
  3. Unplug on both ends and reboot and replug while the system is running
  4. Plug DP cable into a different GPU display port
  5. Use a different DP cable that I know works on another machine
None of these steps have had any effect. However, when I connected the monitor with an HDMI cable it worked fine.

Now comes the weird part:
When I plugged in another monitor model (Acer Nitro XF272U) with my own DP cable into the same GPU display port I used with my own monitor it worked again. After that I proceeded to plug the cable into my own monitor, which did not work before, and it worked as well as if nothing had happened. Today was the second time this has happened, the first time was 2 weeks prior, and the steps I took to "fix" the issue were performed in exactly the same manner each time.

What is going on here?

I've run into some similar DP connections issues with some BenQ PD series monitors.... the issue is likely with the monitor itself rather than anything to do with your pc, graphics card or cable. The solution I have found that works consistently is to fully reset the monitor (i.e. disconnect it from the mains, leave it for 30 secs then reconnect - which usually restores the image). I've noted that for me the issue occurs after the screen goes into a sleep state if I leave it idle too long. It's fine if I remember to turn off the screen when not using it.

You might want to see if Acer offer a firmware update for that screen, as that might resolve the issue. You can also try going into the screen settings and changing the DP version you are using and see if that helps, although that didn't make a difference for me.

Jun 14, 2022
The solution I have found that works consistently is to fully reset the monitor (i.e. disconnect it from the mains, leave it for 30 secs then reconnect - which usually restores the image)

Just now it happened again and following your advice here let me restore the image, thanks for the hint!

As for the firmware updates, I was not able to find any sadly. Also I was not able to find the option to change the DP version in my monitor settings. But if the problem can be circumvented the way you described above this is a minor inconvenience I can live with, thanks again :)!

Reactions: cdrkf