Question Weird framerate problem (60fps but not smooth)

Shiroyasha281

Prominent
Nov 6, 2019
Hi everyone, i'm having weird framerate issues on some "heavier" games, particularly on the most recent ones(CoD Cold war, Modern warfare and Apex). For example on Cold War even tho the fps counter says 70-80 fps, the game doesn't feel as smooth as it should be, it feel more like i was doing something like 40-50 fps and i don't understand why, it even cause some slight input delay. I tried messing up with some settings but the results weren't that great, the only thing that helped a little bit was the v-sync or lowering the resolution, but even in that case when the game gets more hectic it still doesn't feel really smooth. I already tried reinstalling the drivers and the game but it didn't work and i wanted to ask if someone could help me with this problem. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help me.

My specs:
Ryzen 5 2600
Zotac mini Gtx 1060 6gb
16 gb ram 3200 mhz
ASUS TUF GAMING B550-PLUS

Disabling or changing type of Vsync, lowering res, and the problem happening mostly when there's more action all indicate settings may be too high for your spec. Keep in mind FPS measuring tools only show average frame rate. I suggest you run MSI Afterburner and set it to show minimum frames as well. That is how you will tell how low frames are dipping, which is what causes microstutter and worse.

Shiroyasha281

Prominent
Nov 6, 2019
I have some friend of mine with worse specs than mine but can run the game a lot better without this weird not smooth 60 fps. Infact at some point i was unsure about cold war fps measure so i tried using msi afterburner(and the fps measure was correct) but i didn't enable the minimum frames, so i'll try it out and let you know, thank you very much.

Just curious, are you running your RAM in XMP mode to make sure it's at it's full rated speed? If not, it's possible that could be the cause of the problem because Ryzen CPUs, especially the first gen, need fast RAM. If not they can cause micro stutter and hitching.

Shiroyasha281

Prominent
Nov 6, 2019
Change all settings to 'low' to see what FPS you're getting and whether it feels smooth (regardless of how it looks).
Hi thanks for answering, anyway i already tried it, i got a few more fps but the feeling it's still the same, the only thing that make it "run" better is lowering the resolution but even then when there is a lot on screen, or the game is more hectic it still has that laggy feeling.

Shiroyasha281

Prominent
Nov 6, 2019
Yeah but the problem still occurs and i really don't understand w
This doesn't look bad.
I aim for at least a 50% relative performance (not the Bench score) and your GPU is now above 75%.

hy, maybe it might be that the gpu is physically getting too old and for heavier games it just doesn't work as it should?

The relative score and bench score mean completely different things.

The relative performance score (the one I pointed out) says that this card is performing better than 77% of the GTX 1060s on Userbenchmark. The bench score is Userbenchmark's rating against a specific/static load that the GPU tests performs. IMHO, the bench score is actually the 'useless score'. We already know that the GTX 1060 is less powerful than the RTX 3080, the RTX 2080, the GTX 1080, the Vega 64, etc., etc. - we don't need a bench score to tell us this.

78% is quite good, despite it saying 'performing below potential'. I understand that Userbenchmark has to make money though. This is one reason they put these 'below potential' tags. They hope you'll buy the GPUs, etc. advertised on their site (or at least click on the links).

The relative score and bench score mean completely different things.

The relative performance score (the one I pointed out) says that this card is performing better than 77% of the GTX 1060s on Userbenchmark. The bench score is Userbenchmark's rating against a specific/static load that the GPU tests performs. IMHO, the bench score is actually the 'useless score'. We already know that the GTX 1060 is less powerful than the RTX 3080, the RTX 2080, the GTX 1080, the Vega 64, etc., etc. - we don't need a bench score to tell us this.

78% is quite good, despite it saying 'performing below potential'. I understand that Userbenchmark has to make money though. This is one reason they put these 'below potential' tags. They hope you'll buy the GPUs, etc. advertised on their site (or at least click on the links).
So what do they mean by "below potential"? Are they saying it's not OCed?

They mean that this GTX 1060 has not been tweaked to exhaustion by a tech benchmarking guru, to get every last frame of performance the card could possible give. Another factor is that your whole system needs to be 'healthy' for any individual component to perform at its best (GPU included).

The easiest way to put it is - ignore the wording and terms. Concentrate on the numbers.