Question Weird issue after 2 pin from 6+2 pcie connector came unplugged.

Sep 13, 2024
When i was putting on a vr headset, somehow the pcie connector (2pin of 6+2) came loose. This obviously cut out the display but also my fans ramped up really loud. I had ensured the connector was in correctly as this is a 1 week old pc build. After this was fixed (i completely switched out the cable for another one), my peformance of gpu and cpu was worse, more gpu and cpu utilisation aswell as temperatures. I reinstalled gpu driver and the temperature issue has fixed but not the utilisation. For example, on Planetside 2 on all settings maxed i would get 50% gpu utilistaion at max and 30% cpu with second monitor connected, web tab open and discord open. Now i get 98% usage most of the time aswell as 50% gpu usage.

My specs are
4060 ti
Ryzen 7700x
32gb ddr5 6000mhz
4tb m.2 ssd

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

You forgot to mention the make and model of the PSU. It'd be best if you included images of your build since there's no possible way for the connector to come loose unless it was tugged away from the card or if the connector wasn't seated correctly into the PCIe connector.

I reinstalled gpu driver and the temperature issue has fixed but not the utilisation.
Please elaborate how you did this.

Sep 13, 2024
i use the cooler master mwe 850 gold v2 psu, i came to the conclusion that it was the cable that caused the issue originally as after inspecting it, the cables were overlapped in an odd way and there was some tension on them which i made sure was not a possibility when using the new cable
i reinstalled the gpu driver by selecting uninstall in device manager, restarting pc then installing driver again and restarting after