Question Weird issue when booting up

Oct 13, 2023
Hi, I have a strange issue going on here with this card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2060 D6. It's connected to this motherboard: MSI MPG Z390 (if that's relevant)

The PC is connected from the HDMI port to a normal flatscreen TV. I've had it like this for a few years, and basically it's been OK (apart from occasionally booting up in R, G or B, after which it's OK when the OS starts up - maybe relevant to the whole story, not sure). But just recently it's been strange. Whenever I boot the computer, it seems to be starting, but there's nothing on the screen. There are three HDMI ports on the TV, and changing to another of those never seems to make any difference. The only thing that does seem to work is to turn the computer off completely at the power switch. Just quickly flicking the switch doesn't seem to work. The only method which seems to work with relative certainty is to switch it off, take a breath, and wait a few seconds. I know that probably sounds ridiculous, but that's what I'm experiencing. I just bought a new HDMI cable to see if that was the problem, but alas that's made no difference :rolleyes: Does anyone have any idea of a way to diagnose what is wrong here? Obviously it's really annoying to have to do this procedure every time, and anyway it indicates some fundamental issue, I guess.

I hope that that was clearly enough explained. If not, happy to elaborate. Thanks in advance!

Whenever I boot the computer, it seems to be starting, but there's nothing on the screen
My wife got stuck in this same loop. She would being her laptop to bedroom to living room.

On both TV's her HDMI port was so gunked up.

Issue 1 fixed with cleaning HDMI input on TV.

Issue 2 was if TV stayed black we learned to unplug TV for a min or two. It was the TV being the issue.

Will this fix you IDK but that was my experience.

Reactions: heatopher
Oct 13, 2023
OK, cool, thanks for that. Actually it's started without any nonsense just now. No idea why, obviously, other than that it's currently plugged into the HDMI port that I've used the least of three. So who knows? Anyway, I'll try giving the ports a clean, yeah, and unplugging the telly, bla bla bla :grinning:

Oct 13, 2023
My wife got stuck in this same loop. She would being her laptop to bedroom to living room.

On both TV's her HDMI port was so gunked up.

Issue 1 fixed with cleaning HDMI input on TV.

Issue 2 was if TV stayed black we learned to unplug TV for a min or two. It was the TV being the issue.

Will this fix you IDK but that was my experience.
This seemed to have worked the first time. It's true that I had had the TV on standby for ages (which isn't cool anyway, I know). So I turned it off completely, and when I started the computer it showed up on the screen first time. HOWEVER, I've just tried starting it (the TV having been completely off) and I had the same irritating routine of switching the ports and turning the computer off and on again :smirk:

How exactly should I go about cleaning the ports, if that's what is necessary? So far I just went at them with a mini vacuum cleaner and a brush. Other than that, what to do, if I don't have this integrated graphics malarky?

By the way, I forgot to add the detail that this all started after I tried to connect a second monitor (a very old one, which now seems to be definitely deceased). It's of course not plugged in any more, but the problem persists!

Hers were so dirty I had to use a tooth pic and Q-tip with rubbing alcohol. Also she has to have the TV on before she kicks her Laptop. PS I had to use those tight wound thin Q-tips like from Dollar store not the fluffy real name brand.

Oct 13, 2023
Hers were so dirty I had to use a tooth pic and Q-tip with rubbing alcohol. Also she has to have the TV on before she kicks her Laptop. PS I had to use those tight wound thin Q-tips like from Dollar store not the fluffy real name brand.
Yes, OK. Well, I suppose meths will do the same job, eh. I've got plenty of that lying around. Let's see if that fixes things.