[SOLVED] Weird lag/stutter issues - new build i9-9900k 2080ti

Adam Georgeson

Honorable
Aug 15, 2014
Hi.

I previous had a i7-7700k & 1080ti and decided to do an upgrade.

The only thing that is the same on this build is the 650w Gold 80 PSU (Corsair), the fans (RGB LL fans 8 in total) and 250GB WD Blue NVME.

• KFA2 2080ti SG
  • i9-9900k @ 5ghz Overclocked
  • Asrock Taichi Ultimate
  • 1TB Samsung Evo
  • OS on 250GB WD Blue
1. When the computer has been off for a long time, ie when I go to work so 8+ hours and I come home, I boot it up and it boots to windows very quickly, however the mouse, keyboard and everything is freezing every 2 - 3 seconds and then unfreezing after about half a second. This continues for anywhere between 10 - 15 minutes before things normalise and I can play games at high FPS and the overclock works. This affects EVERYTHING. When I move the mouse, it freezes, when I open the start menu, it freezes, when I am watching a youtube video I get freezing and that weird distortion sound from the video. So if someone on the video is saying "Hi" it will end up like Freeze "HiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIIiiiiiiiiiiiiiI" and then back to normal for a few seconds.

2. I have tried rebooting the PC, and I thought at first that would fix it first time round - but it doesn't it takes anywhere between 10 - 15 minutes to get stable and useable.

3. The first time I noticed this was on first boot on the WD Blue (With my old OS). I thought it may just be the OS so I wiped and clean reinstall windows 10 pro twice.

4. Furthermore when this "Freezing" is happening and I try and open Geforce Experience, it comes up with a 0x0 error saying it cannot start and to restart the PC. When the "Freezing" has stopped, it opens it fine.

5. FPS wise I am getting 140+ in some areas on GTA5 with all settings maxed and 1440p. Rocket league (Obviously) 144FPS (I have a 144hz monitor). Other games like Ghost Recon Breakpoint I am getting NO lag at all, no artifacts no freezing ONCE the initial "Freezing" at the start of booting the PC stops.

I would appreciate any ideas. The only thing I notice on the motherboard is its a 12 pin (8 pin + 4 Pin) on the motherboard head. My PSU only had a 8 pin cable as the old motherboard only used 8 pin. From what I can see using 8 pin and 4 pin is not needed, its just optional. I may be wrong.

If someone could assist, please let me know!!!!

Thanks

Solution
Try running everything at stock and see if the problems persist.

Is there high disk usage during the 10-15 mins of lagging/freezing?

Might be worth swapping out the PSU if you can. I'm not saying your drawing anywhere near 650w from the wall, but with a GPU that can draw 300w at max boost, and an OC 9900k, you may be pushing the PSU a bit. Although a decent PSU, it's not the best, and with a relatively high end PC (not HEDT), i'd want something more capable in there.

edit: Presumably, all system drivers, GPU drivers and BIOS are up to date?

Might be worth swapping out the PSU if you can. I'm not saying your drawing anywhere near 650w from the wall, but with a GPU that can draw 300w at max boost, and an OC 9900k, you may be pushing the PSU a bit. Although a decent PSU, it's not the best, and with a relatively high end PC (not HEDT), i'd want something more capable in there.

Reactions: Adam Georgeson
Solution

Adam Georgeson

Honorable
Aug 15, 2014

Yep, everything was stock this afternoon after work (I defaulted Bios last night before going to bed) and this happened again tonight.
The PSU is about...3 - 4 years old? what would you recommend?

I done DDU tonight out of frustration before starting this thread. I've not reinstalled Geforce Experience - just incase thats the issue however I highly doubt it. Initially I was thinking, it has to be the CPU, then I was thinking after the Geforce experience issue it has to be the GPU?

I'm not sure. Maybe my hard drive with the OS is going out - but that doesn't explain how it works amazing 90% of the time, its the first 10% on boot that makes everything fail. Now, sometimes I'll turn it on and it'll be fine, but 90% of the time it happens upon first boot.

I've updated just the Bluetooth Driver and the motherboard BIOS to latest. Everything else I've left. Apart from the Processor and GPU. I didn't use the CD.

For the PSU, a good Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w, or EVGA G3, or Corsair RMi. Any of those would do just fine.

Yeah, Geforce experience is a turkey, IMO. I hate it. It has a way of making games turn into slide shows. I don't install it, and configure everything manually.

With your SSD's and OS. If the OS SSD is full, that can really slow down then. It 'could' cause issues, but maybe not as pronounced as you are experiencing. With SSD's so cheap now, it might be worth looking at a 250gb-500gb boot drive.

For your system. Please ensure to update ALL drivers. All of them. There is no reason not to. It's possible there's some kind of conflict, and making sure all drivers are up to date for your system is essential.

On the bios. Did you do a CMOS clear after the bios upgrade. If not, do that. Again, this is very important.

Reactions: Adam Georgeson

Adam Georgeson

Honorable
Aug 15, 2014
For the PSU, a good Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650w, or EVGA G3, or Corsair RMi. Any of those would do just fine.

Yeah, Geforce experience is a turkey, IMO. I hate it. It has a way of making games turn into slide shows. I don't install it, and configure everything manually.

With your SSD's and OS. If the OS SSD is full, that can really slow down then. It 'could' cause issues, but maybe not as pronounced as you are experiencing. With SSD's so cheap now, it might be worth looking at a 250gb-500gb boot drive.

For your system. Please ensure to update ALL drivers. All of them. There is no reason not to. It's possible there's some kind of conflict, and making sure all drivers are up to date for your system is essential.

On the bios. Did you do a CMOS clear after the bios upgrade. If not, do that. Again, this is very important.

So I wouldn't need to get a higher w psu?

I've got 132GB left on my OS drive and only install the absolute needed software on it. I tend to keep most software installs like steam etc on my main drive I install the games on - for example if I need to wipe/reinstall the OS I don't have to reinstall the software, as per say.

Is there something I can use to install all up to date software? I tend to stray away from most software unless its recommended.

After the Bios upgrade, I did clear CMOS.

Adam Georgeson

Honorable
Aug 15, 2014
Okay. Just a bit of a weird one, I swapped PCIE slots on the graphics card to test. Upon loading windows, it started lagging really bad again, I looked in Task manager and saw "Driver Installation Module" not only using 12+ MB/s disk usage but 50% CPU and GPU usage. SO I ended that process, and the lag stopped. Now, what could be causing this to happen EVERY time I boot up, is it a faulty Graphics card? I stopped the process and noticed no driver was installed for my graphics card, even though I had done a DDU - reinstall beforehand. I just installed the drivers and everything is fine now.

Adam Georgeson

Honorable
Aug 15, 2014
That is Windows 10 trying to install drivers for you, because it recognizes that at least some are missing. Use the link I posted above to install your drivers.

Done the drivers now. Only one I couldn't install was the vga one. I notice a large decrease in time to boot to windows now. The so fingers crossed. Thanks for the advice!

Adam Georgeson

Honorable
Aug 15, 2014
You bet! Now that you are done, you can disable the auto-update feature - just keep in mind that with every major Windows 10 update (the bi-anual updates), there is a possibility that this "feature" will be turned back on.
https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/disable-automatic-driver-downloads-on-windows-10

Its back today. I unplugged the graphics card and plugged direct into Motherboard and I'm getting NONE of these problems. So I assume the Graphics card is toast? It works fine after the lag.... its a KFA2 2080TI SG.

Adam Georgeson

Honorable
Aug 15, 2014
That's.... strange. If there is a hardware problem with the card/motherboard, I would expect to see them when things are good and hot, not cold (unless we are taking really cold :) ).

Just an update - I decided to buy a 850w EVGA G2 PSU and whilst at it troubleshoot the issue till it arrived.

1. I took out the graphics card completely from the motherboard and the issue was still present.
  2. I took out a stick of ram and tested each time and the issue was still present
  3. I unplugged all drives apart from the OS drive and the issue was still present
  4. I did not want to touch the motherboard or CPU as if that was faulty - I would expect to see persistant performance issues.
  5. I decided to install Windows 10 Pro on the SSD, I used diskpart to create a 100GB disk patition on the Samsung SSD I have, and installed Windows 10 Pro Fresh. I disabled ALL updates and disconnected/took out the NVME drive with the old OS
  6. Upon launching, everything was fine. I decided to stop updates but as I was doing so noticed that Windows was trying to update with "Intel - System" with date stamps 1968, 1999, 2003 and 2011 on them. I blocked these updates. Went to the Asrock website and downloading EVERY single driver and installed them one by one.

Unfortunately I was too late to stop the updates installing that weird Intel - System stuff, something that caught my eye was that I noticed during the "Lag" or "Stuttering" a process "System" was running very high disk usage and CPU usage. When the issues stopped after about 15 minutes "System" had stopped using that much resource.

Conclusion: I suspect the issue here is that I didn't use the CD's included in the MB package. I don't have a DVD drive. WIndows was downloading some weird Intel drivers for the motherboard and despite my attempts last time to install the drivers from Asrock website they must have not been overwriting these Windows updates drivers.

I have come home from work today and installed my new PSU - I put the NVME back in the machine and works perfect. No lag, no stuttering.

Hooray!

Thanks for all the help all.