Question Weird noise from motherboard - - - - may be the RAM ?

Aug 13, 2024
Hi everyone!

New PC Build:

- B650 AORUS ELITE AX (AMD5)
- AMD 7950x3d
- Crucial Pro DDR5 128GB Ram (5600 running at 3600)
- Onboard graphics
- HdPlex H5 Fanless case

There's a strange sort of scratchy noise coming somewhere inside my computer. It's hard to tell exactly where it's coming from. I don't think it's the ram because I've tried each stick individually and I continually get the noise. I have 4x32 sticks.

I'm not sure if it's something else on the motherboard, but I bought the fanless case for a very specific reason and this scratching noise is defeating the purpose

I'm curious if anyone here has had similar issues and what your fix were

Here's a sample of the noise-
View: https://youtu.be/pBJfTghIHY8?feature=shared

UPDATE:
The noise does NOT occur when in the BIOS - only when Windows is running.

Last edited:
Hi everyone!

New PC Build:

- AMD 7950x3d
- Onboard graphics
- HdPlex H5 Fanless case

There's a strange sort of scratchy noise coming somewhere inside my computer. It's hard to tell exactly where it's coming from. I don't think it's the ram because I've tried each stick individually and I continually get the noise. I have 4x32 sticks.

I'm not sure if it's something else on the motherboard, but I bought the fanless case for a very specific reason and this scratching noise is defeating the purpose

Never heard of RAM making any noise for any reason.
You may have a Fanless case but there should be at least one on CPU cooler and in PSU. "Scratchy noise" could come only from fans and HDD. From electronics, usual noises, only buzz or squall.

Aug 13, 2024
Never heard of RAM making any noise for any reason.
You may have a Fanless case but there should be at least one on CPU cooler and in PSU. "Scratchy noise" could come only from fans and HDD. From electronics, usual noises, only buzz or squall.
No fan on the CPU either. If you look at the case I have it'll make a little more sense. It's certainly not a typical build.

So there's no way it's a fan because there are none.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Coil whine can come from pretty much any VRM, and they did move the power regulation onto the memory for DDR5. Not something I have heard of either though.

Depending on your ears' frequency sensitivity, coil whine can sound like a low rumble, squealing, buzzing, and other harsh noises. Scratching like a record scratch? Or like a rhythmic sound? I can see it being rhythmic and coming through as a quiet scratching sound.

My old GTX980 with a waterblock on it sounded like a motorcycle shifting gears when it rapidly changed FPS output. I ended up limiting it to 60FPS in that title, otherwise it was really distracting.

Aug 13, 2024
Hi everyone!

New PC Build:

- AMD 7950x3d
- Onboard graphics
- HdPlex H5 Fanless case

Coil whine can come from pretty much any VRM, and they did move the power regulation onto the memory for DDR5. Not something I have heard of either though.

Depending on your ears' frequency sensitivity, coil whine can sound like a low rumble, squealing, buzzing, and other harsh noises. Scratching like a record scratch? Or like a rhythmic sound? I can see it being rhythmic and coming through as a quiet scratching sound.

My old GTX980 with a waterblock on it sounded like a motorcycle shifting gears when it rapidly changed FPS output. I ended up limiting it to 60FPS in that title, otherwise it was really distracting.
Thanks for the insight!

I added a video to my original post so maybe that's helps.

I cannot hear anything on the video. Sometimes inductors or transformers of a VRM will make a whining noise. Sometimes multi-layer ceramic capacitors can make a noise (same whining noise). Switched mode power supplies in general have a switching frequency a human would describe as "whining".