Question Weird noise when going into borderless Window mode!

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
Hey guys,

my system:

i7 10700k
RTX 2070 Super
Kraken X63 AIO
32 GB RAM
2 SSDs
bequiet pure base 550 DX Case
650 w Corsair PSU
MSI Z490 A Pro Motherboard

Since a few weeks, my GPU (i think its my GPU because it often makes these noises, I doubt its my AIO) makes a really loud weird noise, when I change from Fullscreen into Borderless Windows in a Game. Its very noticable when playing Elite Dangerous for example.
Can someone tell me what I can do?

I added soundfiles , you can clearly hear it if you dont pay attention to the airflow noise.

Last edited:
Sounds like good old fashioned coil whine. As the power increases and pushed through the inductors (magnectic coils thus coil whine naming) the pitch intensifies as the power draw increases. So when you go from fullscreen to windowed mode performance decreases and more power draw can ensue. Is this the noise you are hearing? 2070 Super Founders Edition - Coil Whine / Buzzing Sound - YouTube

Last edited:
What power setting do you have on in Nvidia 3d setting. Normal or prefer maximum power? Other than tinkering with power settings, and using fullscreen only, there is not alot you can do about coil whine. It's the nature of the beast. It is not hurting your gpu in any way either.

SteveBeast

Commendable
Jul 9, 2021
you mean power management mode? Its set to optimal performance.

But because you said, theres nothing other I can do. The weird thing is, I have this GPU since April of 2020. I had never any issues with coil whine, not in Fullscreen Mode or in Windows Mode.
And then, when I upgraded my Motherboard and my CPU, the problems began. I started upgrading my PC in June 2021. So since then I've got this coil whine. Can this be normal, that I get the coil whine after this long time?
Or could it be my other components, Motherboard or CPU?

My next question was going to be did you change anything on your pc. Since you upgraded motherboard and cpu your power draw certainly increased, or at least changed some. But your Psu stayed the same. So the change in power demand could have increased the coil whine with less efficient power supply.

I am not saying it is bad power, I am just saying your power draw demand changed, especially with two monitors. You could give it a once over and make sure the cooling fins are clean and same for the cooling fans. You could even try changing the fan curve to increase the cooling a bit to see if that helps.