Weird problem, temps drop after sleep mode

Margse

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
I'm having a weird problem with my CPU temps. When I start my computer up, CPU idle temp (not core temps) in idling is around 45. If I then put my computer to sleep and wake it up again the temp has dropped to about 30 (idle as well). It stays around there, even if I sleep and wake my pc again, until I restart.

Some specs:
Abit IP35-E motherboard
Q6600 G0 @ 2.4Ghz (that's stock frequency, so this isn't exactly an oc question but I figured oc guys know this stuff)
CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 for CPU cooling

I use CPUID Hardware Monitor for monitoring my temps. Speedfan and some other program I can't even remember any more gave different temps. I heard that HWMonitor should but trustworthy, correct me on that if necessary, but this clearly isn't just a problem in the software, because the fan speed control system of the mobo reacts to this perceived temperature drop as well by dropping the fan speed.

None of this affects my core temps. They're around 38-43 and don't care about sleep mode. I think this strongly indicates that the this is purely a problem with the sensor/measurement, and the temperature doesn't actually change. Don't know though.

Putting stress on the CPU doesn't change the situation. The temps rise normally and then drop back to where they were once I let the CPU idle again. If the computer has been to sleep mode they stay significantly lower through all this. I can give you exact load temps as well if you like, a quick test with prime95 says they're something like 60 before sleep and 47 after, with cores at around 57-61 in both cases.

I recently changed the heatsink (had stock previously), which is why I even noticed this. I can't guarantee the heatsink is perfectly installed as I'm pretty new to this sort of stuff, but in any case it should have nothing to do with sleep mode what so ever.

Basically any help to understand what is going on is appreciated. I'm not even sure which temperature, afterl or before sleep, should be the correct one! Feel free to also comment on my temps more generally, I get the feeling that they're somewhat higher than they should but I'm a bit uncertain.

abully

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2010
Well... the only thing i can deduce from what you said is that the cpu heats up during startup which applies a long sustained stress on the cpu... whereas waking from sleep mode is quicker and less stress on cpu since its just reading backed up data from the RAM which is required to restore the PC's original state...

yes the bios fan control system will change the fan speeds sharply between startups and waking ups since the machine will be reading different variances in temps within a short duration of time... dont be worried over this as fans are capable of changing their speeds constantly...

Margse

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
It's not a matter of higher temps just right after the start up, they stay high even if I let my computer idle for hours. Also I'm not worried about the fans. I mentioned it because it indicates it's not just HWMonitor or some other monitoring software that is giving strange temperatures, the bios based fan speed control reacts to them as well. So basically this shouldn't be a bug in the monitoring software.

Yup, I think the OP does have a point, you seem to have doggy sensors and this could indicate them failing causing the software to give you different reading which may actually not be true, thus might harm the system if they control the fans.....

Also since the BIOS fan control is also based on the reading of the sensors on the mobo, this could also lead the system to run fans at wrong speeds in regard to the temp.
Indicating, faulty, sensors on the board.....

I would suggest reseating the new heatsink that you installed recently after cleaning of all the thermal paste from both surfaces and applying new , good thermal paste like AS or something like that. And this time, since "Practise makes perfect" be a little more careful while redoing the whole heatsink thing, since, you have a doubt it could have gone wrong, it's better to be sure.
Also, it would be nice to have a comparison between temp differences before you installed the new heatsink and what they were like after installing it....

Margse

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Yes, I'm planning on reseating it just to make sure (I hate the idea, the heatsink was a pain in the ass to attach so I haven't gotten around it yet). Unfortunately I don't have proper temperatures from before for two reasons A) I was using Speedfan back then because I hadn't realized it was giving around 10 degress lower temps than HWMonitor B) I hadn't noticed this sleep mode weirdness so I only kept track of core temps. By using Speedfan now and comparing I can tell that the idle core temps stayed pretty much the same before and after the new hs while the load core temps have dropped around 5 degrees.

I'm still puzzled though how sleep mode is related to sensors on the mobo.

Maybe, just a hunch, here but say when you switch on the computer from scratch, every part of that particular mobo and it's PSU ar in fresh start is able to supply perfect power for everything on the board, but after entering a passive state, switching to low power state of the PSU and turning of the Mobo just to keep alive data stored in the RAM and Pagefile, when the system awaken, maybe just maybe, the switch from passive power to optimum power output of the PSU could be slow, thus showing you a lower temp on the sensors since they might not still have got the full boost of power that they need.
Now that's the only logical explanation I could come up with my reasoning.

cocopuff

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Hello Margse, I'm having the exact same issue with the temps, higher and constant after a start up Idle around 42c, however when I resume from sleep mode the temps are lower and constant staying around 30c at Idle; AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition. I wanted to ask if you were able to resolve this and how. TY.

Hey, it just struck me, have you tried changing the Power Profile in the BIOS to the other one.
Cos from what I understand from those Wake Up/Sleep modes in the BIOS, one has a continuous current of 5 AMP even when the system is asleep, and the other just has 1AMP.
That will and actually should make a world of a difference.

Margse

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011

Hi alyoshka, this was a pretty good idea. My BIOS gave me two options for the ACPI sleep mode level, S1 and S3. I switched from S3 to S1 and the problem disappeared. I don't want to keep the S1 level so I switched back and the problem came back as well, but I suppose somebody who understands the different sleep modes could deduce something from this.

Another interesting thing happened when I put the pc to sleep (the normal S3 type). It went to sleep and didn't wake up correctly (fans got running but no visible recovery, no video, no input etc.). I pressed the power off button to shut the pc down an powered it up, and it properly resumed from sleep mode as if nothing had happened. This isn't new, it does this from time to time for now apparent reason, but what's interesting is that after this the temps didn't drop like they usually do after sleep mode. Go figure.

cocopuff, as you can see I haven't resolved this and had actually given up before your and alyoshka's replies. If you've got any ideas please tell. Do you have the same mobo that I've got and can you tell me your BIOS version?

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I have since reseated the heatsink and there were no noticable changes in the temps.

EDIT2: Now that you reminded me of this problem I did another small test and tried going to hibernation. That didn't cause the same kind of change in the temperature readings.

OK, for now we'll stick with the first problem being solved.

No , cocopuff is using an AMD processor so he has a different board and version doesn't count.

Now after you switch to the S1 Power state, what is the problem you are faced with, is what I would like to know.

cocopuff

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
Hello again Margse & Alyoshka, I appreciate your comments on S1 and S3 sleep states. A couple of thought, first we can't be the only people on the planet with this issue. Second my set up is new (AMD), below is my hardware, I am going to contact Gigabyte (my mother board) tomorrow and ask for their thoughts and I'll let you know what their reply is. Sincerely cocopuff

Issue Review: CUP temps are high and remain high after a start up, idling around 40-42c, however when I resume from sleep mode the CPU temps are lower and constant staying around 28-30c at Idle. Additionally with the sleep temps my temp reading appear to be correct compared to others with similar systems, at idle and under stress.

AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

GIGABYTE GA-990XA-UD3 AM3+ AMD 990X SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Kingston HyperX 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600 (PC3 12800)

COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 with two fans

And I have 4 case fans going

Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Thermaltake TR2 W0388RU 600W ATX 12V v2.2 Power Supply

(2) ASUS 24X DVD Burner

Seagate Barracuda ST3320413AS 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive

When do you check for temps after start up?
I mean is it immediately after start up? What are the programs you have running when the system boots up? Check to see the number of Processes after startup when you see the temps are high and then later after you resume work from sleep check to see the number of processes running.

If there is a difference, we might be able to know which process/es are causing the processor to heat up after startup.

Margse

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011

It's just that I would like for the computer to go to deeper sleep. Save power, get it silent (in S1 fans keep running), etc. So there's no actual problem there, it seems to be working as it should, it's just not what I'm looking for.

I assume you last message is in reply to cocopuff, not me.

Back when I did research on this and made this thread, I found one forum post where somebody had the exact problem I had. He had the same mobo and even the same processor and the same weird behaviour. The forum thread was dead, but I asked him by email and he said he never figured it out.

cocopuff

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2011
below is the response I received from Gygabytes: (my Motherboard mfg.)

Dear Customer,

The temperature are within operating range and at those range is not overheating.
Any issue you are encountering?

Not much of a answer:

Issue Review: CUP temp readings are higher and remain high after a fresh start up, idling around 40-42c, however when I resume from sleep mode the CPU temp is lower and constant staying around 28-30c at Idle. Monitored and confirmed by 2 different software programs AMD Over Drive and Speed Fan. Resuming from sleep the temp reading appear to be correct compared to others with similar systems, at idle and under stress. I believe I am receiving false / incorrect temp readings at startup? AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition with COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus & 4 case fans.

lolzxdrofl

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2011
lol i have the same problem my specs are
AMD fx-6100@4.6ghz
Gigabyte 990fxa-ud3
H60
6850 crossfire
patriot 8gb ram
im starting to believe the problem lies inside the mobo Gigabyte... maybe as well as abit mobo temps sensors aren't detecting correctly for my HWmonitor it always says im at like 13 degrees but AMD overdrive- speed fan say im at 20-28 degrees at idle but when i put it to sleep it drops like 8-16 degrees but when i stress test it gets to 43 degrees rather than 58 degrees i get

tomaigner

Honorable
Mar 13, 2012
Similar issue however my MB has LED CPU monitor and I have been able to physically touch everything and it IS RUNNING COOLER, cpu, mem, after sleep mode. I have Windows 8 Consumer Preview and have run the performance tests and it runs faster cooler... I would like it to run cooler on start up!!!

i7 2600
EVGA FTW 160 LGA1155
EVGA GTX460
16 mb Corsair 1600

Ok, guys it seems that we seem to have reached the conclusion of a Mobo fault, since most of the people with that board seem to be having this problem. Either you'd all have to wait for a BIOS update which fixes this issue or then just live with it.
Although we, here, will still try and look into what can be done with those boards and any particular settings that could be fixed to see if the wake up temps or deeper sleep issues could be worked out.

fed2k

Honorable
Aug 16, 2012
I have the same problem with my GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD5 the TMPIN2 temps will read lower in HWMonitor after going into standby mode and wont change back to normal until i reboot.

AMD Phenom II 955 BE
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD5
CoolerMaster Hyper TX3
Silverstone Strider 600w
4GB Mushkin Blackline

cz_the_day

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
FWIW, Me Too!

Since I have not stumbled upon much that really decribes the issue like this thread, I thought it was worthy of bumping this one...

-New GA-78LMT-USB3 motherboard (latest BIOS and driver pack) with repurposed; FX-8120(downcored 50%)w/stock HSF fed room air, (2)G Skill F3-12800CL7-2GBRH, 400W PS, Saphire HD6670, Seagate ST3250310AS (Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 and updated too), yada yada...
-CPU Temperature Fan Control range configured for min 40C/or10%PWM to max 62C@100%PWM
-Observed upon waking from Sleep (aka Standby, S3, STR) that the temperature for CPUjunction (aka in HWMonitor as TMPIN2 or 'CPU temperature' in BIOS) is now read the same as CPUcore/s (>=15degC lower) - this has a corresponding effect on the software control of the CPU fan RPM, whether using BIOS or 3rd party (ie GB's EASYTUNE6) algorithms - (not to mention BIOS's CPU throttling/temp warning features as well)
-Only workaround so far is to avoid/disable Sleep mode altogether - not acceptable unless there is no explanation/solution available
-Since this has not caused any notable 'malfunctions' so far, I'm sure this won't garner any sympathy from Gigabyte, as was reported earlier - clearly a nuisance issue compared to; not posting, won't work with brand X memory, excessive smoke :), etc, etc.
-I have read that CPUcore is only deemed accurate as it approaches the theoretical maximum allowable - but the whole Tjunction vs Tcore mystery shouldn't distract from the anomaly I have issue with since BIOS is coded to only act upon Tjunction

thanks in advance for any consideration,

-CZ_the_DAY

u2vipergirl

Reputable
Dec 10, 2014
I also have this issue with a GA-78LMT Gigabyte board and a Fx-8320 Processor. My first issue is when i first built the machine a week ago the temps were really high CPU 60c. I have built other systems with the first revision of this board (Blue) and they have worked fine. This one is (blackboard) same model # different revision.

To try to solve the heat issue I reapplied thermal paste the Artic MX-4 instead of the stock thermal paste that was on the stock cooler this did not resolve my issue I did this 3 times once original stock When I first seated the heat sink, once grain of rice method, once pea method, but the temps did not change I did this three times just in case because I wanted to rule out Human error (I have done this on so many PC'S in the past I doubted it was me but hey a decent tech checks their own stuff and is always willing to learn new ways) I even had my brother who is a certified A+ Tech Do it one time didn't change a damn thing. I have my airflow in through the front out from the back and in from the sides.. even changed fans around just to see what would work and no real changes. I was told to bring back the board and the chip. Even though in my experience 90% of the time its the Mobo.. Ok brought it back got new parts same board processor and unfortunately same results. So then I started going through my motherboards features between one currently good running system with the same mobo/cpu combo and the evil one (as I call it)... I found with turbo boost on (which is on in Bios default) blue board auto over clocks 250mhz shown in AMD overdrive and the black board overclocks 500mhz with turbo boost. I never really planned on over clocking either of these systems on a cheap board like this (especially without getting a better cooler) Turning off turbo boost brought me from 60c down to 47-49c which is still hot..That's the CPU itself the actual cores report 33-37c.. Anyways its a bit safer but not optimal. So until I am able to get a better cooling system. I have been Keeping hwmonitor up and I forgot to turn off sleep mode because like I said new build and so much other crap going on with it that. Anyways Just like others are saying here when I enter sleep mode I am at 48c give or take a degree when I come back up I am at 37c and it stays right around there when I do regular tasks like watch a video or go on the internet. I tested the difference in temps in three programs Adia 64 (formerly Everest), Speed Fan And Cpuid HWMonitor and they all are the same when system first boots and then all are the same after sleep. Anyone yet figure this out?

Tki2000

Reputable
Dec 28, 2014
Same problem here:

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3
AMD FX-8320 8-core
Water Cooled

Normal boot temps are around 24C. After resuming from suspend, they lie around 14C. If they drop too much I get even BIOS alerts as fans stop spinning. I have setup Speedfan for a minimum % of PWM, to avoid BIOS alerts after resuming, as they can give you a real headache. I can't trust temps after resuming, and even BIOS is alerting, so IT MUST BE SOMETHING.

a1nosweat

Honorable
Jan 11, 2014
Similar issue here, messing about with an oc, and I use the sleep button for the first time in ages. Get back and notice that m/b temp 3 (which I had labeled core temp + 12) now reads equal to core temp.

Not terribly concerned - feels like I get the correct info from sensors after sleep

Gigabyte ga970 ds3#
fx6300

gnandi

Commendable
Apr 30, 2016
I had the same problem with GA990FXA-UD3 board with Athlon X2 270, the root cause is that once the computer wake up from sleep, the temperature goes to -128C in Aida64, therefore the CPU fan stops. This issue exists with the FDk BIOS (which is Beta), but disappear once downgrade to FC.