[SOLVED] weird ram consumption

r_jackdaw

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
before im only using a 7200rpm toshiba drive and 8gbs or ram
now its somewhat upgraded

before games like Resident evil 2 remake uses 5+ gb of ram now it only use 2gb of ram
fall of cybertron before uses 3gb of ram now it only use less than 1gb

what is going on exactly?
some of the game feels somewhat stuttery .. in particular fall of cybertron.. i know its an old game but most of its assets are not preloaded compare before to my old setup

auto update is disabled .. my system average ram consumption including with the Brave browser only 2.5gb tops
game mode on or off show the same result

virtual page is set to 256-256 only.. .. then change it to system managed.. nothings change

OS / Games / Virtual page are all set on samsung evo860
the system can run completely without the other drive

80735652_498618294113521_8381901387092459520_n.jpg

81232269_498618290780188_3631831183085535232_n.jpg

Last edited:
Solution
SSD's are faster than HDD's. Could be that the requirement/need for virtual memory changed.

Five factor/variable world: hardware, software, Windows 10 (OS), configuration settings, game/app design.....

Older games probably do not, and cannot, take advantage of hardware changes and capabilities.

Unless the manufacturer's decide to make the necessary code changes.....

If that can be profitable - likely so. Otherwise the game will left as is ("stuttery") and a newer more $ version may be produced. Versus updated the original software version.

r_jackdaw

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
Also, did you install the driver for the new drive? The drive swap itself shouldn't have caused changes in how RAM is used, but make sure the RAM modules are still fully seated and locked down just in case they got bumped out of place a bit during the swap.
im not quite sure what driver... but the only thing i installed is the Nvidia driver and the rest are built in from the OS

r_jackdaw

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
update:
tried single channel with 8gb1333 same result
tried dual channel with 4gb 1333 and 4gb 1600 at 1333 same result..

is it because the Ssd is way reliable and faster than on my ram

im not quite sure what driver... but the only thing i installed is the Nvidia driver and the rest are built in from the OS
I did some checking on that and they list no driver on the support page. Apparently just their NVMe drives require a driver.

Besides the Nvidia GPU driver though, it's good to check that your audio and MB chipset driver are up to date, as well as the LAN driver. These will generally all be listed on the support page of your MB, as well as BIOS updates for the MB itself.

r_jackdaw

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
I did some checking on that and they list no driver on the support page. Apparently just their NVMe drives require a driver.

Besides the Nvidia GPU driver though, it's good to check that your audio and MB chipset driver are up to date, as well as the LAN driver. These will generally all be listed on the support page of your MB, as well as BIOS updates for the MB itself.
the rest are A - OK when it comes to functionality.. by the way i did a quick fresh install of OS. same result whether its 8+4gb 1333 or 4+4gb 1333 or 8gb1333.. weird... i did notice that my ram consumption is very very high when i still used a 7200 rpm toshiba drive.

r_jackdaw

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019

you could say my ram configuration is exactly like this 12gb

more newer games like AC odyssey origins sotr performs better with high fps and less stutter but my older games perform odd

Ralston18

Titan
Mixed RAM - likely performing as two 4 GB modules.

"However, this doesn’t mean you can’t use different size RAM sticks together. For example, if your first stick is 4GB, you can still add a new 8GB stick. Once you switch on dual channel mode (also called flex mode), it will perform as two 4GB sticks running side by side in optimal performance.

The remaining 4GB of the new stick will run in single channel mode. Overall, it’s not as fast as using two sticks of the same size, but it’s still faster than what you had before.

It’s the same with frequency or speed. Your RAM sticks will work together at the frequency of the lower stick, by default. So do RAM sticks have to match? No, but it’s better if they do."

Reference:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/myths-misconceptions-about-ram/

r_jackdaw

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
Mixed RAM - likely performing as two 4 GB modules.

"However, this doesn’t mean you can’t use different size RAM sticks together. For example, if your first stick is 4GB, you can still add a new 8GB stick. Once you switch on dual channel mode (also called flex mode), it will perform as two 4GB sticks running side by side in optimal performance.

The remaining 4GB of the new stick will run in single channel mode. Overall, it’s not as fast as using two sticks of the same size, but it’s still faster than what you had before.

It’s the same with frequency or speed. Your RAM sticks will work together at the frequency of the lower stick, by default. So do RAM sticks have to match? No, but it’s better if they do."

Reference:

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/myths-misconceptions-about-ram/
that all makes sense to me now, but is it normal that by the time i switched from hdd ot ssd - my ram consumption has been cut by like 50-75% depending on the game? it feels somewhat stuttery on older games from 2012- but those games from 2016 onwards feels more better

Dcopymope

Prominent
BANNED
Aug 13, 2018
that all makes sense to me now, but is it normal that by the time i switched from hdd ot ssd - my ram consumption has been cut by like 50-75% depending on the game? it feels somewhat stuttery on older games from 2012- but those games from 2016 onwards feels more better

PC games generally aren't as well optimized as they are presented compared to console games. Just upgrading your PC won't matter that much if the game itself wasn't well optimized to begin with. The performance tends to only get worse the older the game gets as well because of it.

Ralston18

Titan
SSD's are faster than HDD's. Could be that the requirement/need for virtual memory changed.

Five factor/variable world: hardware, software, Windows 10 (OS), configuration settings, game/app design.....

Older games probably do not, and cannot, take advantage of hardware changes and capabilities.

Unless the manufacturer's decide to make the necessary code changes.....

If that can be profitable - likely so. Otherwise the game will left as is ("stuttery") and a newer more $ version may be produced. Versus updated the original software version.

Solution

r_jackdaw

Reputable
Apr 6, 2019
PC games generally aren't as well optimized as they are presented compared to console games. Just upgrading your PC won't matter that much if the game itself wasn't well optimized to begin with. The performance tends to only get worse the older the game gets as well because of it.
oh that really makes sense now