Weird sluggish gaming performence issue

akib10

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
i'm new here seeking for some experts opinion/idea regarding my problem
which has been spoiling my gaming for the past 2 years(since i returned to pc gaming). i've changed my whole hardwares couple of times within this period except some components like HDD and some optical devices. my current system is like this
Athlon IIX4 640
msi gm760 p33
sapphire 6790
Tt tr2 500w
i know its not a top notch gaming pc but my problem is not fps related. the actual problem is about the pace/speed of gameplay, specially the movement of 3d particals(like players/cars/or other 3d objects are noticiably slower/unresponsive and pretty much weird despite having 60+ fps & low gpu/cpu usage. and gameplay becomes more slower/sluggish with the increase of time and doesn't remain nearly identical to the actual gameplay.... its not actually like lagging/stuttering or stuffs like these. it exists in each & every single game that play on my pc(although its not that noticiable in FPS games). but it is hardly possible to control a car or a player in games like nfs/fifa or other racing/sports games (what i usually play most).
i'm more of a pc enthusiast rather than a gamer. i've tried almost everything which were posssible for me to point out the culprit but failed. so plz don't ask me things like 'update drivers/install patch/reinstall os/check temperatures...etc like this as i've tried those things more than thousand times before and its not any how a simple issue like thoese...
any experts advice/opinion is greatly appreciated.....

DM186

Splendid
You might want to take a look at your PSU. The Thermaltake TR2 is one of the worst PSU's out there. With your card requiring a mim of 500w PSU. I dought you are getting enough watts from that PSU that your card rquires and I think you are getting a little bottlenecking with your CPU. This is just my opinion. Good luck to ya

akib10

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

i know its a worse psu but should be enough for my current rig. i changed my psu 3 times within this period.moreover the situation was same when i had C2D e7500+5670 (which were quite efficient). so i'm quite sure that its not a psu issue...
and cpu bottleneck might lower down fps not the pace/speed i think....

go int your mouse settings and make sure you dont have acceleration turned on, also turn off enhance mouse precision in the windows mouse setup. hopefully this will reduce input lag and make your mouse more accurate.

what are your perifs... mouse, keyboard and hdd...

my guess is that your mouse and keyboard may be at the root of the problem.
dm has a point also. that psu is very unreliable.

eklerus

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
scenarios:
My friend has a 4850 and 2 gb of memory ram he says Fifa 2010 sometimes feels sluggish but 2012 works fine
WoW for me when i had a Amd x2 for example in Arathy Basin where you go 40 vs 40 players and we all group toghether everyone casting spells and me using 40 people panel to heal everyone was like 10 fps or lower which was not acceptable it was like a slide show but not engaging into a masive combat was fine for me with a 5770 Radeon then i switched to a i5 60+ fps no more problems
I do have 4gb of memory and a good Antec 600 psu

How much memory do you have and what games do you play ?
How old is your Hdd ? i have a old 2005 hdd not really liking it's performance but it's just 1 of my hdd's

akib10

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

currently i have 4gb ddr3 ram and its a athlon iiX4 not iiX2. this problem also exists in very low demanding games like fifa/nfs/pes where it gets constant 60 fps and very low cpu/gpu usage like 25-30%. its not fps issue brother. like i get 40-50 fps in bf3 with everything at high...
its actually the game pace which is much slower despite having smooth gameplay. like the ball or players movement is noticiably slower and sometimes weird in fifa/pes. in first person shooting games its not that noticiable but i mainly play sports & racing games like fifa/pes/nfs/tdu/dirt etc where it gets really dull and boring gameplay...
my hdd is less than 2 years old and its the one and only component that i haven't upgraded from my previous system(c2d e7500/ati 5670).

so is there any possiblity that my hdd is causing this. i checked it with 'sissoft sandra' where it picked quite impressive results!....

no its not just user-controlled players but also cpu controlled players/ballls or other stuffs. however tested with several keyboards/mouses but same results....

eklerus

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
Hdd looks ok not that old.
4gb ram plenty
PSU i'm no expert

500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for AMD CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)
Certified power supplies are recommended. Refer to http://ati.amd.com/certifiedPSU for a list of Certified products
If you have a friend with better power suply maybe you can test it out

CPU
ATHLON X2 X4 X8 whatever games barely use 2 cores so doesn't matter
But Athlon is so old but still you have 3 ghz and running BF3 which actually uses 4 cores if i remember which is good for your quad core so don't know what to say but like i told you i had an AThlon x2 in WOW 40 vs 40 people 5 fps moving to intel i5 60 fps with same graphics card

Try some OC at least for a quick test

eklerus

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
WoW is preaty intense on the CPU when 40 vs 40 play in a battleground or in a city full of other players and i did run several 3rd party addons like Healbot giving me stats for 40 other players in my alliance party and yes my cpu was 100% all the time.
All was ok riding in the middle but when 40 vs 40 meet all throwing spells berserking each other changing stats on my addons was a pain 2-5 fps. But all changed when i switched to a 2500k no more problems went form 2 fps to 60.
I used to play it without problems but they improved graphics everything when they announced Cataclysm.
No need to go to their forums i quit when i killed the stupid big dragon .

But we are not talking about me i am just giving him scenarios.
A friend of mine is experiencing some problems also in Fifa and i know from long time ago Sports Simulators dont use the Gpu but they do use the cpu for the A.I calculating scenarios and such.
Wish i could say from my own experience with Sports Sim but i hate them.
And the Athlon is so 2005 i know they made quad core much later but it's the same as the one from 2005.
For other games was ok for me even on a 1680 resolution didn't really had problems with games just the 1 battleground in WoW didn't really like to defend 1 tower and the rest of the time doing nothing.

Don't really know what to say but i will do this for you i will install Fifa 2010 today and next time you post here tell me what game to test for you i will use 2.5 ghz dual core intel 3gb of ram and 2600 xt on my laptop and come back with results.

eklerus

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
so i tested Fifa 2010
Laptop
Intel core 2 duo Cpu t9300 2.5 ghz
3 gb ram
3650 AMD mobility 512 ram dedicated
Win 7 32
I ran Fifa 1680 resolution max settings i could find there
Fps performance very good playable no problems
Cpu A.i players movement of the ball acting very good no pace speed reduction problems

NFS Hot Pursuit from last year i think
Had to lower settings to 1024 to be playable but here the 3650 is not helping me.But very good performance again no problems with lower settings

Try running memtest maybe something there
Tt tr2 500w vrail 14Amps x 12 volt=232W
AMD 6790 will use 125w max

What would happen if your PSU can't cope with the load? Here are a few possible issues:

bad 3D performance
crashing games
spontaneous reset or imminent shutdown of the PC
freezing during gameplay
PSU overload can cause it to break down

akib10

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

thanks brother...actually its only me who has to face this weird issue. even none of my friends have this this problem despite having lower specs than me. so its not a cpu bottleneck actually. this problem also used to happen with my previously pc(core 2 duo e7500 2.93ghz/amd 5670). and Tt tr2 500w has dual +12v rail 14a+15a=29A/360W. which is plenty for my system. and i also tried with some other different psu's with my system. but same problem exists everywhere. so its neither a psu issue too. and i changed my ram several times now so its nor something memory related.

eklerus

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
what about the motherboard maybe it's faulty somehow ?
Oh i just saw a overview your video card has 2x 6 pin conectors
And why does it say your PSu has only 1x 6-pin PCI Express Connector

I see your Msi Mobo is AM2+
And your Cpu is AM3
Can you go to msi website install live update and UPDATE your Bios

i guess you can try turning vsnc on fps will be more stable as there locked at 60 max unless you go under if your running 60 fps and have vsync on but you drop to 40 fps you will notice a judder but at least you wont get tearing...
having it turned off you may go to 120 but you will see the fps drop a lot more so is likely to make the problem worse...

all that i can suggest now is you go into your gfx setup and set the whole thing to default (some1 may have adjusted it for you) and cause the issue your seeing. if it doesnt go away then its likely you have very sensetive eyes that easily see the change from 60 to 50 when most people wouldnt. most would pick it up if it was a bigger drop but some see even smaller. these people tend to see more fps on average... people like fighter pilots that can see 450fps to the normal person who sees less than 300.

oh b4 sum1 jumps on this and says 60 is all you can see. these results were from military testing and produced quantifiable and repeatable results. they may not have been able to tell what the change in the image was but they did see a change, ie consciously it registered. most people would only subconsciously see a change at 300+fps

this is also the reason by law in the uk an image must be on screen for 3 frames minimum anything less than that can be construed as subliminal programming/advertising which is illegal. (if you see it complain to ofcom if your in the uk)

EDVINASM

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
Seems like CPU is lagging. I had same issue with games on netbook when GPU was enough but CPU was behind. Try as eklerus suggested, update your BIOS. Also, have you the right drivers for MB installed (if any)?
Another thing might be, have you got new screen/TV hooked up? I have noticed bad controls lag on some TVs, to a point where all games feel like Fuel one..

eklerus

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
''DDr2-800 id say this is min for AM3 chip set before u notice performance difference
DDr2-1066 between this and the 533-667 was a massive improvement in speed +benchmark stats
DDR3-1600 -not much noticeable difference between the 2 and the ddr2-1066

so if picking ram go with thee DDR2-800 or 1066 ''

Some guy in 2009 did some tests this is just copy paste from this forum

on am3+ the best ram is 1066 cas7 or better. on i7 9 series its 1333 cas 7 or better and the sandy is 1600 cas 7 or better. reason the motherboards may be able to run faster ram but the cpu wont care. its pegged at that bandwidth. so if you jump for faster ram your best just reducing it to the best speed the MMU runs the ram at and then lower the latency as much as you can... this way you get the best possible efficiency as well as maximizing the bandwidth.

there is a point even with productivity that the extra speed counts for nothing unless your benchmarking... but benching isnt real world use.. for the real world your best bet is stability and reliability as well as performance.

akib10

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010

the mobo is not faulty. it is an AM3 socket, check this link for details...
http://www.msi.com/product/mb/760GM-P33.html#/?div=Basic[

i have changed mobo 4 times within last 2 years. twice for my previous intel processor and twice for my current amd .

i tried enabling/disabling each and every option of my amd CCC and a lot 3rd party softwares like d3dOverdrive for vsync/tripple buffering etc. and tried different combination from ccc and game menu to observe things. but none of these worked so far. and i used each and every ccc version from 10.4. so atm i'm 500% sure that its not anything driver related problem.

eklerus

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
go to your local shop and ask them to test your hardware they have special gadgets to check electronic devices if still nothing...
call an excorcist priest maybe
sell the damn thing