Weird sounds from PSU and computer shutting down!!

Mathew Dony

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014
2 days ago my computer started making a weird noise (NOT FROM SPEAKERS) randomly. After some time the noise would become continuous and the computer will shut down. Initially i thought that the sound was coming from the graphics card but i am now sure that it is coming from the PSU.
When i turn on the computer again it is ok but the computer shuts down again if i attempt to run a game by making that weird noise. That weird noise even occurs if i play some YouTube videos.
The graphics card is kinda new but the PSU is 5 years old.

Now the noise is coming even while scrolling a text file.

Solution

Yes, but only if the PSU is crap to begin with. It's time for a new PSU most likely, especially if your GPU is a maxwell or fury.

Rabmac

Reputable
Nov 29, 2015
Install Speccy: https://www.piriform.com/speccy

Once installed just run it and it will tell you the CPU, motherboard and HDD temperatures. This will let you know if you are overheating. The reason I suggest this, is that when a component heats up the fans start spinning faster, thus causing more noise. If the temperature gets above a certain level the PC shutsdown to protect the components.

Most likely it's just a bad PSU. Try using something that records voltages from the PSU or motherboard if possible, any voltage drops before crashing are a sign of the PSU failing.

Mathew Dony

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014

Can it be the graphics card??? can graphics cards cause PSU's to make weird noises ?

Mathew Dony

Reputable
Dec 26, 2014

Can it be the graphics card??? can graphics cards cause PSU's to make weird noises ?

Yes, but only if the PSU is crap to begin with. It's time for a new PSU most likely, especially if your GPU is a maxwell or fury.

Solution