Weird Static / Electricity & Computers & TV

Apr 14, 2018
Trying to figure out what / how this is happening and what to do about it. LONG...

Weirdest behavior that I can replicate over and over... TV connected to a gaming cpu as 2nd monitor via HDMI (Nvidia graphics card)... Anytime there's a static electric shock NEAR the TV / Computer the TV Screen goes black for a second then comes back on. Most commonly this happens when I touch my chair, not sitting in it. The chair is sitting on top of a plastic floor mat, also on the mat is a laminated press-board and the CPU sits on top of that. Case fully closed, no components external, TV on a desk above the CPU.

But there's so much more.... after 1.5 years of using the computer it suddenly started freezing, crashing, restarting usually when something new graphically happened, like launching a video. Then one day I unplugged a USB device and the computer shut down and never had display again (or POST) - Processor FRIED.

Computer fixed, got it back, almost immediately attempting to plug in ANY USB device to the same Port that was connected to frying the processor... actually not even plugging in, just metal touching metal, usb device to usb port, computer restarts. Just the one port. Then again with the crazy graphics stuff but more in the realm of freaky graphic anomalies on screen then freeze, crash, restart.

I did a brief test with different monitors as 2nd monitor instead of TV... HDMI & VGA, HDMI & DVI, DVI & VGA - All = immediate graphics freakout & crashing doing anything even slightly graphics intensive. BUT Only ONE monitor plugged in does NOT seem to have this effect, or at least it doesn't happen immediately, haven't tried extensively, just stopped using the computer until I can at least find a direction of troubleshooting. This is all plugged in to Nvidia card, not motherboard.

BUT THEN!!!! Also, in this same time frame in other areas of the house, but ALL on different circuits... a Microwave stopped heating but still turns on, the thermostat went wonky (but still turns on), AND the Heat Pump (i think... makes the AC work) still turned on but wouldn't blow cold air. All 3 of them had to be replaced. And it seems like ALL of this started about the time the AC Pump thing went down.

SO. Is it possible for a TV to destroy computer components via an HDMI cable and cause all the weird behavior? OR are ALL of these things related and maybe we have weird power surges happening throughout the house?