[SOLVED] Weird stuttering issue

Jul 6, 2020
Hello there,
I've been having a stuttering problem and I'm not quite sure why. I investigated every part of my PC and saw nothing unusual. From Cpu and Gpu no high temperature was noticed during high stress. The clock was balanced and no jumps were registered. I also used the turbo of my CPU, and yet the maximum temperature was about 93° C. I checked all the fans and they were in good conditions, and I recently replaced my thermal paste. This stutter starts after I used my PC for a few hours, and I believed for sure it was the thermal throttling kicking in. Yet, no sign of that. I checked the SSD and nothing weird about it. The RAM it's working fine as always. From that, I passed to checking if a malware was causing it, but I found nothing of that regard. It may be the OS, but still, I feel a little confused about it. What could possibly make my PC stutter suddenly? I tried everything I could and now I ask for help, cause I got no idea how to solve it. It would make my day if someone finds a solution about this. Thank you in advance for your help.

These are my specs:

GPU: NVIDIA RTX 2070 MAX-Q 8GB
CPU: INTEL I7 8750H 2.2GHZ/4.1GHZ TURBO
RAM: 16GB Corsair 2133MHz SODIMM DDR4
SSD: 1TB Samsung 860 QVO 2.5" SSD

Solution
Can't say a 100% but might just be the thermal solution.
Try replacing the Thermal Pads too if you haven't already! I had a similar issue with my laptop and got constant stuttering and lags until I changed the pads.
Also 86C is fairly high for a gpu even if it's a laptop and MaxQ..
Hope this helps!
Jul 2, 2020
how often do these stutters occur? do they occur along some specific tasks or with normal use? what did you use to check CPU clocks?

Stutters can be caused by VRMs overheating too but if clocks really are stable, then it's probably something else..

Jul 6, 2020
how often do these stutters occur? do they occur along some specific tasks or with normal use? what did you use to check CPU clocks?

The stutters occur only after stressing it through some games or heavy Softwares. They occur specifically if I stress my PC out. I used Afterburner from MSI to check for everything. Since I wrote this post I checked physically where it could overheat, and I'm sure something is actually going on high temperature. It could be the VRM as you said.

Edit: Nevermind, seems like the clock speed of the GPU is unstable. I don't know what might have caused this, but the temperature doesn't go over 86°C. What could be the problem here?

Last edited:
Jul 2, 2020
Can't say a 100% but might just be the thermal solution.
Try replacing the Thermal Pads too if you haven't already! I had a similar issue with my laptop and got constant stuttering and lags until I changed the pads.
Also 86C is fairly high for a gpu even if it's a laptop and MaxQ..
Hope this helps!

Solution
Jul 6, 2020
I'll try to replace the pads once they arrive, hope this will do the trick. Btw I'm really thankful for your help. On a second note, I recently checked the temperature again, my CPU reached 100°C for a few seconds and throttled. So I'm really hoping that the pads will fix it. I already cleaned the fans and replaced the paste so this is the final solution. Again thanks, and have a great day.

TRENDING THREADS