Question Weird Subtle Screen Flickering Issue

Dec 7, 2019
I have this really weird screen flickering issue that keeps turning up in an array of different games. The flickering is really subtle: It seems to be just random flickering changes in brightness and on occasion I will see a black bar on the top of my screen for a split second. And often, the flickering is accompanied by a slight decrease in frames-per-second.

The games affected and what actually happens in them seems to be entirely random: Minecraft (Always), The Witcher 3 (Always but less severe), Heaven's Vault (Occasionally, but causes a lag spike when it occurs and then disappears), Black Mesa (While Loading), Opus Magnum (While Loading), and I'm sure there are many more. I would be inclined to see the issue as an issue of the program itself if it wasn't for the facts that such similar issues applies to multiple programs and that it applies to such popular games as Minecraft and the Witcher 3. I'm pretty sure the issue is on my end.

Now, I would record this flickering if I could, but I can't. When I screenrecord using Bandicam while the flickering is ongoing and then play it back, the flickering is not there in the video even though it was very noticeable while playing. I am also unable to record the screen via for example my phone because that doesn't provide an accurate representation of the issue at all.

In all actuality, even though I've categorized this as a display issue I don't actually know what kind of issue this is because for example, sometimes, when the flickering becomes really severe, the program causing the issue has its FPS reduced to less than 10 and starts using up to 80% of my CPU to no avail, like its stuck trying to calculate something incalculable. A similar issue occurs with the program freezing at random intervals, accompanied by the flickering during the time it is frozen.

Also, while writing this and experimenting with the issue, I closed one of the programs during one of its most severe flickering fits yet and the flickering persisted for several seconds within Chrome, which has never happened before.

I really don't know what's going on.

My specs are as follows:
Monitor: Agon AOC AG272FCX6 27 (Officially G-Sync Compatible according to NVIDIA)
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 X3700 8-Core Processor
Motherboard: MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI (MS-7C37)
Ram: 32 GB
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 (With G-Sync enabled)

Last edited:

Lutfij

Titan
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard. Have you tried working with G-Sync disabled? Maybe try and see if changing the source of your power/wall outlet changes your experience.

Dec 7, 2019
When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list them like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Make sure you're on the latest BIOS version for your motherboard. Have you tried working with G-Sync disabled? Maybe try and see if changing the source of your power/wall outlet changes your experience.

OK so apparently setting G-sync to only be enabled in fullscreen instead of all the time fixes the issue for some inexplicable reason, at least on the ones I've been able to test so far. It even fixes the issue in the games that already were in windowless fullscreen to begin with which is even more confusing.