[SOLVED] weird switch connected to my power supply?

May 17, 2020
Hey,

I just noticed a 3 way switch labelled "HMI" (probably read H-M-I, which are the three settings) on the back of my case, the wiring seems to come from my power supply and either goes back to it or goes somewhere else (it is a mini-case, no way of knowing wthout taking it apart). Documentation doesn't mention it, and google draws a blank as well. Anybody know what this is? Thanks!

Solution
the wiring seems to come from my power supply

the power supply and case are from 2016, the corsair 650m is still on the market, as well as the case. why the insane number of cables though?

Ok. That's where I was confused. You said "it seems to come from the power supply".

Clearly, that's wrong. It came with the case. The switch gets power from the power supply and the switch controls the fan speed inside the case.

I assumed the PSU was old because there have been PSUs with "H - M - L" switches, but they were from a long time ago. Corsair does not have a "650M" (CX650M? CS650M, TX650M.... ????) that has any kind of manual fan controller switch.

The Antec True Control PSUs from over 10 years ago had such a...
May 17, 2020
Thanks guys!

makes sense, the power supply and case are from 2016, the corsair 650m is still on the market, as well as the case. why the insane number of cables though?

Here is what I'm talking about

the wiring seems to come from my power supply

the power supply and case are from 2016, the corsair 650m is still on the market, as well as the case. why the insane number of cables though?

Ok. That's where I was confused. You said "it seems to come from the power supply".

Clearly, that's wrong. It came with the case. The switch gets power from the power supply and the switch controls the fan speed inside the case.

I assumed the PSU was old because there have been PSUs with "H - M - L" switches, but they were from a long time ago. Corsair does not have a "650M" (CX650M? CS650M, TX650M.... ????) that has any kind of manual fan controller switch.

The Antec True Control PSUs from over 10 years ago had such a switch.

Solution
May 17, 2020

Yay, mystery solved. Now that I knew what to look for, I realized that the switch does indeed change the speed of the case fan. Thank you very much!