Dec 27, 2021
Where I live power outages are very common and is a daily occurrence. This is why I use a UPS to protect my PC when this happens. This worked great and I had no issues

Months ago my power went out but it was different this time. The monitor shut off but it was still getting electricity since the “on” green light was still on and my PC starting going full fan speed and was being very loud. When the power came back and when I shutdown my pc (while not seeing anything because monitor was off I just used the power button which also initiates shutdown if the PC is on) I got the blue screen of death. Luckily, after some time my PC automatically fixed the problem and I never gave it a second thought and everything was going well again.

Fast forward to today, the same thing happened this time no blue screen but it happened twice today and in short periods of time. Am guessing it has something to do with the power shutting off too abruptly and weirdly which makes my UPS not react fast enough creating this weird state of between turned on and turned off. But is there anything I could do? Any gadget perhaps I can buy so that I can be sure this never happens again? Here is my specs for my computer:

Ryzen 5 3600X
EVGA RTX 2060 ULTRA KO
B550 motherboard
16 gbs of RAM
256 gb SSD
1 TB SSD
1 TB HDD
Corsair CX550M

I appreciate it if you read this far. If you have any ideas or suggestions maybe even a solution please comment and let me know. Thanks!

NameChanged38

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
Surprised no one has replied yet. If possible, I would test another equal or greater UPS. Perhaps yours is aging and it can no longer deliver the adequate amperage your PC may need. Forcibly turning off a computer via the power button is one thing. Unexpectedly losing its power source is another. This is the only reasonable course of action I can come up with at this time.

Dec 27, 2021
Surprised no one has replied yet. If possible, I would test another equal or greater UPS. Perhaps yours is aging and it can no longer deliver the adequate amperage your PC may need. Forcibly turning off a computer via the power button is one thing. Unexpectedly losing its power source is another. This is the only reasonable course of action I can come up with at this time.

My UPS isn’t old I have used it for less than a year and like I said most of the time when the power goes out its fine and It shuts off every day and I use my computer almost every day so the power shuts off at least once per session and this happened only 3 times. I think its something to do with how the power went off because 2 out of the 3 occurrences 2 of them were in a short time frame in a particularly bad day because I think they were fixing something with the generator or something. Just to clarify I have yet to turn off the computer power from the switch though I have used this button that sends a shutdown/power up command to the computer which is the same as turning off the computer normally through windows.

NameChanged38

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2009
I will say I'm a bit out of my depth here, however please elaborate about the generator. PCs operate best if the power coming in is pure sine wave. Would you happen to know if both your electricity coming in, whether it be mains or generator, and the UPS are pure sine wave?