Weirdest problem ever, PC works but shop but doesn't work in my house

Status
Not open for further replies.

peetal

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
OK I had a problem of the PC not starting up, tried all the POST n bread boarding and no help. Four days of experiementing and gave up.

I took it to the PC store (pay him to check it out approx US$20), it works perfectly.

He restarts it again to show me because I couldn't believe my eyes.

I take it back home and same problem it doesn't work.

It will power on for a few seconds and I hear a click from the PSU and it goes off. Then I try again and no movement at all. Wait a few minuted and power up and again powers on for a few seconds and click and everything off.

I am thinking its an electrical problem coming from my electrical sockets.

(its the same problem I had in the first place and reason i took the PC to the store)

specs of PC are as follows:
Windows 7 Ultimate
ASRock 770 Extreme 3
Gigabyte HD 6850
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition
A-Data Gaming Series DDR3 2GB x2
Western Digital 640 GB HD
Antec Earthwatts 650W

I think my wall outlet isn't giving power to my PC is this a possibility? I try and even power the plug directly to the wall socket to no avail same problem and it gives me 5 seconds at max.

Any suggestions would really help...

Thanks

Edit: The PC has been working well since December 2010. New editions are a Dell 27" monitor (although it did work with the monitor for about a month) , i have tried connecting the PC and monitor to different power extensions as well but no difference.

Really need somehelp as I have no clue what to do.

Reactions: abhirajsr

peetal

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
I live in a flat, but I have tried it in different rooms (although the PC wasn't connected to a monitor as its a big monitor to lug around). even with different rooms same problem occurs.

Hmm, look at your electrical box, the one with tripswitches, how many of them say 'sockets'?
if its just one you're doomed on that route,
the shop says its fine as you witnessed, maybe ask your neighbours if they are having any power issues, it seems to be something to do with the flats wiring to my eyes
Moto

peetal

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
This problem has just started even tho the PC has been working since i got it in 2010. I moved into this flat in November 2011. All working till few days ago.

Checked the electrical box and there a number of different switches with 20A/15A/10A on them.

lafontma

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006

The way i see it, something might be coming loose during transport... The shop might of just opened up the casing and push on everything to make sure memory, video card, etc was well seated and during transport back to your house, something loosened.

Hard to imagine its your power in your house unless the breaker on the power supply is tripping (it it has an internal breaker)

peetal

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
Don't even know my neighbors here.

Yes every other electrical appliance works in my house...

Its a three room flat and everything works... I am so confused now... I could just take it to the shop again but if it will just automatically work there what am i doing wrongly?

peetal

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
@lafontma - This is the same problem I had before i took it to the shop to repair. He didn't touch anything inside the PC, just plugged the power n monitor and it worked. straight up.

He was smirking because i had to pay him to plug wires and press a button.

lafontma

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2006

I looked at PSU specs..

CircuitShield™ — Over Current Protection (OCP), Over Voltage Protection (OVP), Under Voltage Protection (UVP), Short Circuit Protection (SCP), Over Power Protection (OPP), Surge & Inrush Protection (SIP), No Load Operation (NLO) & Brown-Out Protection (BOP)

I guess you do have a power issue in your building that is tripping one of the built in sensors in the PSU... Your other appliances dont have all those sensors builtin to them.

Guess you reall need to test it at a friends house or buy yourself a UPS which would give a clean electrical signal.

peetal

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
Hmmm.. I really do not know what all that means...

Is there someway besides buying a UPS where I can bypass that problem. perhaps a better extension cord with those safety features?

I do have a friend who lives quite near, I can bring my PC there tomorrow. (its 11:35 PM in Hong Kong now).

peetal

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
yeah I will test it out at a his place tomorrow.

But if doesn't work > take it back to the shop

If it does work there then what next?

Also I think it could be a problem of the wiring however, it was working for 4 months since moving to this flat.

peetal

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010

What did you do to fix this?

peetal

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010

@lafontma - Where did you find this information because I can see it for the Antec PSU i have.

@moto - I am renting here for a year, I don't think my landlord will fix wiring when my PC doesn't work and everything else works...

Would a good quality surge protectors or something work for me? really want a more simple solution

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007

peetal

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
thanks for the info I will look into that once I check my PC in a friend's house.

Also, any idea on why all of a sudden I would have this problem, I mean I have been at this flat since November last year and it only happened now... ?

peetal

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
I have tried my PC at my friends place finally and it has the same problem...

I am sure both our houses cannot have bad wiring so the volatge problem should be out??

What now?

Try again to the repair shop?

duxducis

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2007
if its still doing this
"It will power on for a few seconds and I hear a click from the PSU and it goes off. Then I try again and no movement at all. Wait a few minuted and power up and again powers on for a few seconds and click and everything off"

I would start by replacing PSU, or if you can get one to test your computer.

peetal

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2010
ok update: i was going to go to the repair shop again but i decided to try it again at my house.

i connect it and all works. (seriously...)
I even restart it and it works no problems

I then use it for a good 12 hours. switch it off and go to sleep. wake up the next day and it doesn't switch on again.

same problem as before start running for 5 seconds and off again...

really frustrated now..

Status
Not open for further replies.