Weirdest problem.

G

Hi.
I have one damn weird problem with my system.
Lately, I installed a promised FastTrack 100 RAID controller with 2 Quantum Fireball LM 30G. I decided to connect my old HD (Quantum Fireball CR 8,4G) as the secondary slave.

Whenever I boot with a boot disk, I receive the message
"All drives letter above Z have been ignored". The when I try to look at my available I see that a partition (E:) seems to be on every drive letter up to Z:. Like if the system was entering some kind of endless loop and would recognize the same partition several times.

I wonder if anyone of you ever had a similar problem.

G

Are you connecting as the sec slave on via the onboard connection of the mobo or via the Promise.

That is a wierd problem.

G

It is the Sec slave on the motherboard.
I remarqued that also that it takes a really long time to boot up. Almost seems like it was stuck at the bios detection screen.

Raistlin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I am not familiar with that Raid card
you said it does it ONLY with a boot disk?
or when booting into windows too?
Perhaps you need to add a driver to the autoexec.bat or config.sys file on the boot floppy?
where do you see this message at----- what stage in boot?
-------need more info to be helpful------

G

Try some of this:

1. Since the HD attached to the Promise Card are not visible to the BIOS in the HD recognition part (at least in my computer), try setting the old HD as Master in the IDE port on the mobo.

2. If your Promis card has to IDE ports, try hooking up the 2 new disk together on port 1.. using the proper cable (the one that has two connectors on the same cable, one for master and one for slave) and put the old HD in the second port of the Promise Card.

3. The system is having a good time at your expense. =)

/---------------------------------------/
Be and let others be as well!
<b>The Dark-Knight</b>

Raistlin

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My understanding of this problem is that you have
2 ports on mb and 2 on the raid card?
why did you hook up the hdd as secondary slave?

I would recommend that you put the 2 hdd on the raid card
as primary and secondary masters
and the old hdd as primary master on the MB with the cdrom
or whatver else being secondary master on the MB,
This is an assembled computer or a non brand name?

I have seen alot of WIERD CRAP with compaqs and hps
that I worked on for years in the service dept of a major computer retailer 200+ stores accross nation.