Welcome to Tom's Hardware!

Page 10 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

aliafifi130

Prominent
Dec 29, 2017
Hi every on I'm Ali, 32, IT engineer and living in the UK.... I'm absolute glad that finally I'm here as a member not just reader. I've been reading and learning stuff from this great website since looooooooooong time so I'd like to say thank you for every single member that did help or wrote or helped by anyways in this lovely community to be like this a candle burning to light up for the others.

THANK YOU ALL & HAPPY NEW YEAR :)

ianbennie77

Prominent
Dec 30, 2017
Hi toms community

Im from downunder and new to this site im into late night computer using web surfing emulating old games im a retroist stuck in the early eighties and computing is a time machine for me to bring back so many memories from the early eighties especially staying up all night programing machine language and basic because i was a kid and into games back then games were very expensive to buy and the brilliance about the old dos systems is that the average joe or mary could write his own games and programs back then unlike today average uneducated people were writing programs back then when computing was expanding to the people but the advent of windows stopped the people from utilising basic dos and now windows does it all for you thanks to sun systems and mr gates anyway that is another story, i get inspired late at night when the air is cooler and everyone in my neighbour hood is asleep my light is on all night computing i am happy to be a night owl as the badge tom gave me because that is what i am looking forward to meeting the community

little known fact about me : um well back in the early 80's i was the only kid to hack into apple 2 programs at school and put nasty comments about the teachers we didnt like and was never caught

paulaingham

Prominent
Jan 1, 2018
Thank your reply but I have tryed pluging in a vga don't work and I have tryed a HDMI and that don't work I really don't no what to do i am not computer mineded

doktortanz

Prominent
Jan 3, 2018
I'm Dave from San Diego. Just about to turn 60, and still gaming(why, yes, I am single, how did you know?). Retired Navy now working as a contractor. Just recently bought a new gaming PC after years of limping along on an old Alienware laptop. I realized I was way out-of-practice from my DIY days and just decided to buy a complete, powerhouse system instead of building one.
I've been computing since the '80's when the job finally required me to use DOS and Enable. I walked into an Egghead Software store looking for a book on dBASE-lll programming and a screen caught my eye. That was the first time I saw Wing Commander, and I realized I was going to have to buy my own computer. Now, I'm playing Elite Dangerous and trying to figure out Star Citizen's flight model and smacking into various parts of Port Olisar.
I'm looking for help on getting my new joysticks operating correctly and maybe a controller, as well. I'll see you guys on the forums.

spitfire4087

Prominent
Dec 25, 2017
Hi I am new to this site. I am about to build my first computer after getting fed up with computers that either don't do what I want them to do or fail on me. Also it is way cheaper to build my own than buy from a dealer by over 50% :O

transportbrad1988

Prominent
Jan 5, 2018
Hey everyone at tom's hardware thanks for having me aboard!, im new to the new realm of pc's as my last one was 10 to 12 years ago!, ive asked a question already about an overclocking issue i was having, and got answers in minutes!, thanks for the help i build a entry level ryzen gaming rig and am looking to learn more and upgrade as i go, im 29 from toronto canada

I guess I never saw this little thread, so Hello to all, Been here a while, 50 years of age, French Canadian Living in the USA. 33 Years of IT development, Support, Q&A, Computers, Printers and Cable Modems. Last 10 years working with the Security Industry (badges, software printers, access control) I Read Tom's Hardware Daily with news on the other monitor and coffee poured into my veins, I Love to help out when I can.

My first "Home" Computer was a Microcom IIe kit (apple iie clone) system, one I built at 14.

baradganesh

Prominent
Jan 5, 2018
Hello......just a computer enthusiast .....Wish you a very Happy and Prosperous New Year 2018. I was looking for my query regarding ram posted in particular section of this forum.

safal10000

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018
Hi I'm Safal from India.
I'm not a so called tech guy but I've build my desktop myself i.e, assembled all hardware components.
I always try different and unique things whenever i get time.
Recently I added two PSU in one motherboard (not using extension slot but by combining the grey and green wires of Both psu)

I'll always help with answers if it's within my knowledge range but mostly ask question because I'm new to this field.

ludicitus

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018
Hello there,

I'm Tom from the North of Britain. I'm not really qualified in any way in IT or computing but I have been a hobbyist pc builder and tweaker for about 10 years now - I visit Tom's Hardware daily as my go to place for info on everything computers.

Any knowledge I can contribute I will, but this will most likely be related to components I have worked with (of which there are not too many).

Odd fact: I recently completed my PhD in Sociology and Political Economy through a focus on the commercial history and current state of value-creation in the video-games industry.

bill2u

Prominent
Jan 13, 2018
Hello 2 u 2,

I'm Bill from NC in the USA. I'm retired now and trying to keep up with windows. I was pretty good at programming an IBM 360 with COBOL and even did a little system work with AOL. Latter I tried C and C++ but never could quite learn it. I wish I had.

I don't think I'll be able to contribute to much but if I can, I surely will. I've been coming to Tom's site for years now and thought I'd like to join. I'm trying to learn to use Windows 10 now, but I think I might be getting to old to learn it. I don't know what was wrong with windows XP. Well at least with windows 10 if you screw it up to bad you can just start over .

I hope I get to meet some of you. Reading some of this thread, I saw a diverse and interesting group of people.

sarah836f

Prominent
Jan 11, 2018
Hi,I am a artist,my favorite thing to paint are animals.ButI do everything but people. I also do beadwork,all kinds. Mostly I do Indian Medicine Bags on a loom,they take me about two months to finish one about two and a half by two inches. It takes over a thousands beads to make it. I also do many other arts and craf??ts.I am New to the technical side of computing but am trying to learn. I don't understanding. Computer speak, so I have to use Google. I am looking forward to learning. Nice to meet everybody. Bye for now

adventreaper

Prominent
Jan 15, 2018
Hey, names jon. Been coming to these forums off and on for years, and decided to finally make an account. not extremely computer literate, especially when it comes to software, but im smarter than your average granny!

luna55

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018
50 year old-timer here that's been busy with computers from the beginning.

Computer related work experience would be first as the "kid-on-the-block" that did the troubleshooting for everyone's computer problems. Much later I worked for a computer company as a support agent via phone, mail or in a store solving all kinds of hardware and software related problems. Stopped doing the work for two reasons:
1) I thought making my hobby my work would be a good idea but I saw that if I continued it wouldn't remain my hobby anymore. Love this hobby too much to let it go.
2) I started to hate anything that was commercial, marketing and sales related. I hated the fact that in today's business climate (for a lot but not all companies) people are not important, only the money in their pockets is. I became disgusted with marketing strategies and sales tactics.
So now I work for the government in a department that is not money related at all but that is all about people. My primary hobby remains computers.

History with computers:
It all started with early game consoles: some Tandy, Mattel Intellivision, Atari 2600 then much later a PS1 and Xbox.
As we didn't have any computers in my folks household before the 8088 I had to use computers with friends and even got to borrow one from over a year from a guy that was in the army. That was a Sinclair ZX Spectrum. Others I used at friends places were Commodore Amiga, 64 and 128 and an early Apple at school.
Then came the XT 8088 in my folks house followed by an XT 8086 and AT 80286 that all ran DOS, the 8026 was upgrades to Windows. AT 80286 at the university on Windows. Used an IBM with OS/2 at work after that.
The first computer I bought for myself after I got married was a 80386 running Windows 3.1. From then on I used Windows Pcs for 15 years up to a Pentium 4 on Windows XP.
After that I switched to Mac for about for about 15 years I guess, from OSX Tiger up to now.
I am busy switching back to Windows though, already have a laptop running Windows 10 and busy assemblng my own PC as I used to do. I have a case with cooling, power supply and 4K optical drive ready to go, just figuring out the processor, mainboard and graphics card. Thinking of wating for Ice Lake with a Z390 and 1080TI unless there are some Volta TI's by the time the processor comes out.

Oh, and I'm "slightly" addicted to copmputer peripherals. 3 printers, 2 scanners, 16 mice, 6 keyboards, 2 CouchMasters, a nice Fanatec racing setup on a Wheel Stand Pro and Thrustmaster Hotas with MFG Crosswind pedals also on a Wheel Stand Pro. :)

Well, end rant, I hope I didn't bore you too much! :)

Oh, forgot about other hobbies as PCs' are the main thing. That would be consoles, some A/V (mainly headphone related) and motorbikes. I've been riding for 34 years and while bikes have been my main transportation type for many years nowadays motorcycling has been reduced to leisurely rides.

rinji3254

Prominent
Jan 20, 2018
I'm rinji
I've visit to Tom's hardware many times but never join the forum,i'm technician from indonesia
i know i can find so many solution from this forum luckily i've got some problems too :D

jeanpgrove

Prominent
Jan 22, 2018
Hi, Jean here. Living in South Africa. I'm an architect, enjoy photography and mountainbiking.

Have been checking Tom's Hardware forever. My trusty old desktop is coming up for retirement and need to catch up with ten years of development ;-)